Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Meal ideas

EsaEinai

Post Mon, Jan 26 2009, 2:59 pm
What do you feed your toddlers?

my dd is 13 months

for breakfast we usually have eggs or cereal and milk with a banana

dinner- chicken and vegetables or a pasta with cheese

im always out of lunch ideas though.

greeneyes

Post Mon, Jan 26 2009, 3:23 pm
Here are some ideas:

grilled cheese
cream cheese sandwich
peanut butter sandwich
omlette or scrambled eggs
yogurt (I mix plain yogurt with applesauce, so it isn't full of sugar)
fish sticks
sweet potato (I cut up small cubes of sweet potato & microwave for a few minutes. My daughter loves that.)
avocado
baked butternut squash (I'll bake it & then I can serve it to her for a couple of days)
baked apple
sliced raw apple
cucumber slices with salad dressing

I also find it hard to come up with what to serve dd for lunch. I find she's pickiest then, probably because she isn't as hungry then as she is at breakfast & supper times.

JuliaB

Post Mon, Jan 26 2009, 3:44 pm
-mini pizzas (I buy tiny pitas from trader joes and cut them in half, put sauce and cheese and toast)
-scrambled eggs (I try to add some frozen spinach or broccoli)
-noodles (fun shapes help)
-soy chicken nuggets/sausage patties (morning star farm - not cholov yisrael (my 18 month old DD LOVES them)
-mini hamburgers
-breaded chicken cutlets
-chicken soup with veggies and chicken
-meatballs
-pancakes - I have an AMAZING blueberry sour-cream pancake recipe that is great for babies, especially babies that need to gain weight - if you want I can post it.
-french toast
-mini muffins
-mini grilled cheese

-another hint: kids love dipping. I find my DD eats better if I can give her things she can do herself (I.e., dip chicken nuggets in ketchup)

greeneyes

Post Mon, Jan 26 2009, 4:28 pm
I just thought of one more thing that my daughter loves: all different kinds of vegetable soups like split pea, mushroom barley etc. So if I make soup for supper, I often give her some for lunch the next day as well.

EsaEinai

Post Mon, Jan 26 2009, 4:37 pm
thanks or all the great ideas!

im going to refer back to this list in a few hours when its lunch time Smile

also, just thought id add that sometimes I boil tons of veggies in water and I serve my dd the cooked veggies and I eat the soup! its so good and healthy Smile

I find that between preparing meals for my dd (and then cutting them up into bite size pieces) and preparing meals for my dh, everyone is eating while im busy doing prep work or cleaning up! I have to find a way to grab a bite at meal times, too!

SomebodyElse

Post Mon, Jan 26 2009, 5:02 pm
EsaEinai wrote:

I find that between preparing meals for my dd (and then cutting them up into bite size pieces) and preparing meals for my dh, everyone is eating while im busy doing prep work or cleaning up! I have to find a way to grab a bite at meal times, too!

People always recommend this in general, but I would recommend specifically for a young toddler -- make lots and freeze! (Or if it's raw fruit/veggies, cut up enough for a few days at one time.) Toddler meals are so labor intensive and yet not a lot of food. Which means a little space in your freezer can go a long way.

Raisin

Post Mon, Jan 26 2009, 5:06 pm
I just made lentils tonight and dd loved them.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics