Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Advice, my baby wakes up at 5 am for the day

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Feb 02 2009, 2:54 am
for the past few days she has been waking up at 5 am and it has been very hard on me.

I try to keep her up as long as I can at night, but by 7 pm she is just about ready to collapse.

any ideas for me to make her sleep, even one more hour? or to stay up later?

RachelEve14

Post Mon, Feb 02 2009, 5:30 am
Does she want to come over and play here? We are up by 5:30 like clockwork.

Some kids just have an early clock. When we were in NYC, Rivka was waking up as early as 4:45 no matter what time she went to bed. We tried earlier, we tried later. She still woke up (usually screaming CEREAL) by 5, like clockwork. Oh, and it was winter and pitch black out, no sun waking her.

No advice, just commiseration. Have you tried putting her to bed earlier? He seems to sleep better when he falls asleep by 6. I guess he's getting a more restful sleep. When does she nap? Is she taking a 2nd nap too late and messing up bedtime? Post her schedule (and age I can't remember exactly) and maybe we can brainstorm something.

ss321

Post Mon, Feb 02 2009, 6:12 am
What do you mean by "UP?" if up means whining for food, leave her in bed for another 20 min and see if she stops...she might just be awake and because shes used to being pulled out of bed at that time, she like goes with the flow, but if not provided with any sort of stimuli, would otherwise fall back alseep.
if shes wide awake....cooing and ready to play and everything, then yea, I agree w/ Racheleve...can you post her schedule? maybe we can all brainstorm? Maybe there is something you can do during the day like in terms of feeding or one of her naps, to help her fall asleep a bit later at night?

devorahh

Post Mon, Feb 02 2009, 6:13 am
I'm in exactly the same situation. I tried puting my baby to sleep really late at 11 and he slept until 7 am but I had to deal with a very cranky baby for a few hours at night. My only advice, is try to accept it and go to bed early with her. (it's hard if you have other kids to put to bed though) I go to bed at 8/9 and wake up at 5 in the moring. At first I couldn't stand being up so early now we have a good time together playing in bed till everyone is up. Good luck.

Nicole

Post Mon, Feb 02 2009, 6:56 am
Here's another commiseration! (((hugs)))
We were up at 5 am today. Some days, it's 4:50 (see my post about that) no matter when we put him to sleep, he's done it. Lately though, we have SOME good days. SOmetimes he wakes at 4:30, I give him a bottle (even though he's already over a year!) and he sleeps till 6. (gasp)
She's too young for teething, right?

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Feb 02 2009, 8:53 am
ok, for all of your who asked her schedule, here is a rough one (we dont have anything set in stone yet)

anywhere from 5 - 8, wake up
plays for anywhere from 1 - 3 hours, nap (anywhere from 1 - 3 hours
up again, eat, plays for anywhere from 2 - 4 hours (this is new it used to be that every gtwo hours she went down for a nap) some days there is a third nap (anywhere from 3 pm till 4 pm for about an hour or so)
by 6ish I put her bath water in. we finish with bath time and geting dressed into pajamas at about a quarter to 7. then if she is totally a goner already, I wait till 7, she eats and then she is put to sleep. sometimes she can make it until 7:30. she used to be able to make it until 8 or 8:30, but that has not happened in a long while.

should I just keep her up until 8 anyway? play with her until she is almost in dilirium?

and for the mother who asked if she is too young to teethe, not that I know of. she is almost 8 1/2 months now.

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Feb 02 2009, 10:42 am
shabbatis coming, make her get a longer nap during the day or put her down for a third nap at about 5;30, SO SHE'Ll go to sleep later.

what I do now if he wakes early is put him into a pack n play out of my bedroom with toys, so I can still snooze, and hear him if he cries.

justmom

Post Mon, Feb 02 2009, 11:50 am
I can only empathize-- my youngest did that for the first year of his life-- no matter what time we put him in he was up by 5am-- I used to just lie in bed and nurse him and pray he'd go back to sleep-- which he wouldn't but the nursing used to let me sleep another 20 minutes or so. What can I say, he's 6 and delicious and I wouldn't trade him for the world-- but, that was a realllllly hard year.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Feb 02 2009, 1:03 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
shabbatis coming, make her get a longer nap during the day or put her down for a third nap at about 5;30, SO SHE'Ll go to sleep later.

what I do now if he wakes early is put him into a pack n play out of my bedroom with toys, so I can still snooze, and hear him if he cries.
so, the nap AT 5:30 wont work. she ususally goes down at 4ish or 5ish. today she slept till 5:30, but she still was zonked and went down at about 10 to 8. we shall see.
how can I MAKE HER get a longer nap during the day? she only naps for as long as she naps, then she is up again.
and the pack and play thing does not work as she was premie and has not totally gotten the concept of holding a toy for more than three seconds, so I have to constantly be near her when she is playing so I can teach it to her and help her.

Last edited by shabbatiscoming on Mon, Feb 02 2009, 1:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Feb 02 2009, 1:04 pm
justmom wrote:
I can only empathize-- my youngest did that for the first year of his life-- no matter what time we put him in he was up by 5am-- I used to just lie in bed and nurse him and pray he'd go back to sleep-- which he wouldn't but the nursing used to let me sleep another 20 minutes or so. What can I say, he's 6 and delicious and I wouldn't trade him for the world-- but, that was a realllllly hard year.
yeah, I can not even do that as I do not nurse her, so I have to get up, make a bottle and give it to her......arghhh, but I love her too and sleeplessness in I guess not the worst thing in the world:)

hadasa

Post Mon, Feb 02 2009, 1:20 pm
Maybe the bath makes her sleepy. Try making bathtime a bit later.

Ezrachar

Post Mon, Feb 02 2009, 2:13 pm
I would suggest you start waking her up at the same time very morning. you said she wakes up between 5 and 8, well, try makeing her get up at 7 on the days she sleeps late or even earlier. Also, the sleep doctor I took my son to said to give a bath earlier in the day, at least 2 hours b4 bedtime, because the bath is stimulating and even if it makes a baby sleepy, it also makes them wake up sooner.
I can commiserate because my 1 8 month old wakes up at 5 am every morninig, and he also wakes up about 5 times per night.

So I'm sorry and I hope she gets through it!

ShakleeMom

Post Mon, Feb 02 2009, 8:46 pm
For the past 3 months my baby falls asleep at 5 am for the day. Want to switch ?

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Feb 03 2009, 6:14 am
ShakleeMom wrote:
For the past 3 months my baby falls asleep at 5 am for the day. Want to switch ?
right:) but the difference is that your baby is only 3 months and mine is already 8 1/2 months. slightly different, no? Smile

ShakleeMom

Post Tue, Feb 03 2009, 9:33 am
aha, different!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics