Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Newborn missing a toe
1  2  Next

amother

Post Wed, Feb 04 2009, 4:42 pm
Does anyone have any experience with a newborn, born with 4 toes?
Can it be a problem with walking?
What about the comments they'd get from friends etc...
Is it possible to add a toe thru surgery?
Any info would be appreciated as I cannot seem to find info thru google.

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Feb 04 2009, 4:53 pm
I would hazard a guess that a person can adapt easily to a missing toe, especially if they've never had it. People are born without entire limbs and they can do everything that you and I can do. Maybe speak to a physical therapist that works with amputees and see what they have to say.

Strudel

Post Wed, Feb 04 2009, 4:56 pm
http://organizedwisdom.com/Oligodactyly
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C.....ation

Try using this link to help your search.

ss321

Post Wed, Feb 04 2009, 5:03 pm
amother wrote:

as far as I know, no.
amother wrote:

sorry, cant help you there. Dont wear sandals? I dont mean that in an insentive way, I am just trying to be practical. Toes can be "added" surgically. see below
amother wrote:

apparently, yes. You need a plastic surgeon willing to take on the case. And it would also be expensive, I doubt insurance would cover it because it would be considered cosmetic, its not medically necessary. But it can be done!
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pu.....ocSum
amother wrote:

youre right! there is not alot of info out there! what in partiular would you like to know, Ill try to help if I can...

pgk

Post Wed, Feb 04 2009, 5:09 pm
I know someone who was born with one thumb that split into two, they had surgery done in the children's hospital in Boston and supposedly the doctors there can do wonders with all sorts of surgeries (creating fingers, toes, etc.)

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Wed, Feb 04 2009, 5:19 pm
did you hear about the baby born with 12 fingers and 12 toes?

Barbara

Post Wed, Feb 04 2009, 5:30 pm
amother wrote:

I assume that you just had a baby. Mazel tov. May the baby bring you much nachos.

I don't think that there would be a problem with walking. There could be some teasing, but honestly, how often do you really count people's toes (other than on broken statues on Lost, of course)? S/he could wear closed toe shoes and be fine.

OTOH, I think that these issues should be discussed with your doctor, to ease your mind. You shouild definitely get a consult with a good pediatric orthopedist. In NYC, there is an amazing practice at Columbia, but the doctor's name has slipped my mind. Google pediatric orthopedist Columbia and I'm sure you'll find him (actually them, its a practice).

Strudel

Post Wed, Feb 04 2009, 5:52 pm
I've worked with kids missing fingers from birth, which is more common than toes. One boy had 2 of his toes transplanted onto his hand to make it more functional. He showed me his feet, and at first you couldn't tell he was missing a toe from each foot at a glance, you'd need to stare for a few seconds, and why on earth would you stare at someones feet?
I can't imagine any problems with walking. The child might need special shoe inserts in the future, but nothing major.

amother

Post Wed, Feb 04 2009, 7:10 pm
Thanks everyone! I don't know how to use the quote. embarrassed
I did google Barbara and there are quite a few names of pediatric doctors. Do you mind getting the name,I'd really appreciate knowing that someone used him and was happy.
I keep on thinking that I must have done something wrong while pregnant for this to occur. Sad

ShakleeMom

Post Wed, Feb 04 2009, 7:37 pm
my friend has a single big tooth in the center on top, then the rest of the teeth. at first glance you don't see it either!

bnm

Post Wed, Feb 04 2009, 7:41 pm
I was warned that my allergy medicine can cause this. (was only told in middle of the second trimester, was too late to change anyway)

BlumaG

Post Wed, Feb 04 2009, 8:33 pm
Amother 6 toes in my mind seems worse than 4 - one less nail to clip Smile I'm sure ur baby is lovely and yummy and you can't blame urself for something that may or may not have anything to do with it.

amother

Post Wed, Feb 04 2009, 8:37 pm
Used this dr to remove a toe (baby born with 6 toes). His name is Dr. Laplaza he's in Schneider's Childrens Hospital (LIJ) # 718 470 3570 ext 1. You can ask them if they could help you. They're very nice and helpful. You can also try calling MRA (sorry don't have their number) they could help you locate a dr.

Barbara

Post Wed, Feb 04 2009, 8:44 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks everyone! I don't know how to use the quote. embarrassed
I did google Barbara and there are quite a few names of pediatric doctors. Do you mind getting the name,I'd really appreciate knowing that someone used him and was happy.
I keep on thinking that I must have done something wrong while pregnant for this to occur. Sad

Here you go:

http://wo-pub2.med.cornell.edu.....6XQDg

We used Dr. Hyman for a broken wrist, but the materials in his waiting room for more serious problems was truly impressive.

Sending you hugs and love. You surely didn't do anything knowingly wrong, and likely did nothing wrong at all. Much as all of us would like for there to be a reason for everything, sometimes bad things happen for no reason at all. (Have you ever read When Bad Things Happen to Good People, in which a Conservative rabbi struggles to find reason in his son's diagnosis with a congenital problem that resulted in his death in his early teens. Warning, some Orthodox sources, including Aish, criticize Kushner's approach as *non-Jewish*)

The baby will be FINE, FINE I tell you. I can hear you at his (her) Bar (Bat) Mitzvah, giving a speech that begins *you know you were born with 4 toes, but still the most beautiful baby I ever saw* S/he will be thinking *not that story again mom!* as he walks strong and proud to the Torah (or she ... you get the idea).

ShakleeMom

Post Wed, Feb 04 2009, 8:46 pm
amother wrote:
Used this dr to remove a toe (baby born with 6 toes). His name is Dr. Laplaza he's in Schneider's Childrens Hospital (LIJ) # 718 470 3570 ext 1. You can ask them if they could help you. They're very nice and helpful. You can also try calling MRA (sorry don't have their number) they could help you locate a dr.

The tremendous resources available to amothers in such a short amount of time never ceases to amaze me! what a chessed.

amother

Post Wed, Feb 04 2009, 10:31 pm
BlumaG wrote:
Amother 6 toes in my mind seems worse than 4 - one less nail to clip Smile I'm sure ur baby is lovely and yummy and you can't blame urself for something that may or may not have anything to do with it.

Thanks again, everyone!
I still think that it would be easier to remove a toe than add one, but of course, I didn't get a choice in the matter.
Barbara,Thanks for the hugs! I truly hope it'll be O.K. by then..... and that he won't be adversely affected, B"EH.

ShakleeMom

Post Thu, Feb 05 2009, 12:11 am
I'm not joking this time... would a parent donate for a child ?

StrongIma

Post Thu, Feb 05 2009, 12:52 am
look into the surgery carefully. from what I've heard (3d-hand, I admit) from others with such an experience is that if you leave it alone, they'll function just fine, other than feeling uncomfortable at the beach and such. but the surgery can cause scar tissue that can be problematic for life.

Marion

Post Thu, Feb 05 2009, 1:07 am
A friend of my sister's was born with fewer than 5 fingers/hand (2 on one, 3 on the other...she's a lefty because her left hand has a thumb & her right doesn't). I babysat for her many times, including bedtimes, and I know she had foot surgery as well, but I honestly don't remember if she had issues with her toes. I imagine she must have if they did surgery.

My point is that I was often in a care position for this girl, I helped her put on shoes & socks, and get ready for bed, I know now she wears sandals, and I don't ever remember thinking to check out how many toes she has! Nor was it something that was obvious if you were not looking for it.

I know in my position it's easy to say, but I wouldn't worry much. Consult a dr. to ease your mind, then focus on enjoying your new little one.

Mazal tov!

ss321

Post Thu, Feb 05 2009, 6:46 am
ShakleeMom wrote:
I'm not joking this time... would a parent donate for a child ?

its not that simple. To put the kid on immunosupressant drugs for the rest of his life, in order for him to have an extra toe is not worth the risks involved (rejection, those drugs wreak havoc, etc), and no doctor in his right mind would ever attempt it.

Amother you didnt do anything wrong!!! This is genetic. Please dont look back and say "couldve, shouldve, wouldve"- if there is something you did, there is no way you will ever be able to pinpoint it anyway. but its genetic, and B"H its "just" a toe (I know that sounds mean-I am not trying to be insenstitive, but in the long run, he will be ok!!)
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics