Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Baby Bedding - Hebrew Theme?

MalkaChaya

Post Fri, Feb 06 2009, 2:02 pm
This may be a ridiculous idea -- or one that I can make money from if no one has done it yet. (I'd really prefer if someone has already done it!!) You tell me:

I have been searching high and low for Hebrew-letter themed bedding/room decor for my baby boy. He is nearly 11 months old, but we moved to a house where he has his own bedroom (instead of sleeping in the office) only 2 months ago. I have been trying to find some suitable decor and finally came across a "transportation" theme that isn't wonderful, but I like it. I was trying to avoid anything too babyish (that I'd be tired of in a month) or too gender-specific. Some of the "boy-themed" stuff out there is just ridiculous.

I would *love* to give my baby a 'heimish' decor -- especially since we live very out-of-town, he goes to a [gentile] for babysitting while I work, etc. I really want to reinforce yiddishkeit where I can.

I know that there is plenty of baby bedding available with ABC-123 themes. What about Alef-Bet-Gimel-1-2-3?? I can't be the only one that wants this! Am I??

Atali

Post Fri, Feb 06 2009, 2:06 pm
I think it is a great idea! I don't need a whole bedding set but I would love a wall border.

yo'ma

Post Fri, Feb 06 2009, 2:06 pm
I've never looked for bedding, but I've seen fabric and the only one I've seen had nun, gimmel, hey, and shin. I made my son a shirt with it. I always wanted to design jewish fabric, but it's too expensive and I'm too lazy, sorry!! There are other fabrics with other jewish themes, though, but mostly chanukah looking.

MiracleMama

Post Fri, Feb 06 2009, 2:08 pm
I never really thought about bedding like that but what I would love is to be able to get those wooden wall letters that are so popular to paint and hang in the kids' room to spell out their names, but done in hebrew letters. I did see hebrew letters at a judaica store recently but they were soooo tiny. I think that would be a great biz. Maybe it already exists in places like Brooklyn or Lakewood? But not here.

I think the bedding would be great too.

louche

Post Fri, Feb 06 2009, 2:21 pm
Not to rain on your parade, but I think using Hebrew lettering on an item that is going to get, shall we say, body fluids on it is disrespectful. It's not shaimos or anything, despite the many, many people who believe anything bearing a Hebrew letter is Shaimos, but still, to create something with Hebrew letters that is at very high risk of being the recipient of something disgusting is the wrong thing to do.

MalkaChaya

Post Fri, Feb 06 2009, 2:55 pm
MiracleMama: something like this??

http://cgi.ebay.com/Custom-Woo.....1r355

MiracleMama

Post Fri, Feb 06 2009, 2:59 pm
MalkaChaya wrote:
MiracleMama: something like this??

http://cgi.ebay.com/Custom-Woo.....1r355

Yes, but I wanted big letters, more like 8". I will contact the seller and see if that's possible. Thanks for the link!

And I think the baby bedding is fine. Only sheets really get soiled (at least by us). The quilt, bumper, dust ruffle, etc. can have the nice Alef Beis design.

Boys"R"Us

Post Fri, Feb 06 2009, 4:36 pm
How about this?
Aleph Bet quilt

Mommy3.5

Post Sat, Feb 07 2009, 11:34 pm
I have a "noach's teiva " set....

Imaonwheels

Post Sun, Feb 08 2009, 12:32 am
or this,
But I would want to see it up close and read the poem first.

avimom

Post Tue, Feb 10 2009, 8:42 pm
I love that aleph bet pillow case!! Any ideas how I can order that in the US?

Imaonwheels

Post Wed, Feb 11 2009, 2:45 am
It comes as a set. In Israel linens are normally sold in sets of summer or winter. They include a fitted sheet, pillowcase (2 for double) and quilt cover or summer blanket. This whole winter set costs about $50.

You could ask someone to order it and send it by sending a check to cover the cost and mailing.

Maybe if you have an international CC they would ship.

avimom

Post Wed, Feb 11 2009, 7:50 pm
Thanks, but I really only like the pilowcase!

ShakleeMom

Post Wed, Feb 11 2009, 8:01 pm
so cute!

micki

Post Wed, Feb 11 2009, 11:16 pm
when I fininsh my projects I'll post a pic- im making a alef bais chart out of the same fabric as the bedding.

Tamiri

Post Thu, Feb 12 2009, 2:33 am
That is an adorable set! The poem is by Naomi Shemer, I don't think there is anything offensive about her Alef Beit poem. The company, Darlen, is located in Yahud. The website is http://arliktex.co.il/. I have been there, and they do custom orders. Israeli sizes for bed are not the same as U.S. ones. You could, perhaps, contact them and ask if you could have linens made to your spec, using that motif. Good luck.

Tamiri

Post Thu, Feb 12 2009, 2:35 am
שיר הא' ב' של נעמי שמר
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics