Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Night toilet training

amother

Post Mon, Feb 09 2009, 10:04 am
my 6.5 year old and my 5 year old still wear diapers at night and they wake up wet
how do I get them toilet trained for the night

amother

Post Mon, Feb 23 2009, 7:00 am
bump

RachelEve14

Post Mon, Feb 23 2009, 7:03 am
I think a lot of it is nature. One of my twins needs a diaper at night, the other doesn't. Neither does my 3.5 year old. You can try what a friend of mine did. She made a deal where if they woke up 7 nights dry from the diaper, they could try w/o a diaper, and then after 7 dry nights they got a prize or something. I think she allowed for a day or 2 of error. But really they might not be able to help it.

nech770

Post Mon, Feb 23 2009, 10:28 pm
My 5 yr old dry during the day since she was 2 1/2 but still consistently wet at night. Doc said it is a hormone that gets released and just hasn't happened yet. Often those who are deep sleepers the hormone takes longer. She can roll out of bed and onto the floor and stay asleep... so she DEFINITELY is a deep sleeper. He told me 50% of kids are dry by age 3 - and the other 50% can take until 8 or 9 - not much can be done... to kick start hormone... there might be natural remedies... like a homeopath or naturopath or osteopath that could help if it REALLY bothers the child...
So don't worry about it.

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Feb 24 2009, 3:35 am
My 4yr old just stopped wearing nappies at night about a month ago. I think it helped (as often found in parenting books) to limit how close to the bedtime he can have a drink, make sure he uses toilet before going to bed.

I decided to skip nappies only after finding him dry on 3 or 4 nights in a row. I was still concerned he might wet the bed, so the first time, I put a nappy on top of his underpants (in a hope he wakes up once he wets himself). Not really sure if it helped or not. I think eventually his bladder was big enough to hold it till the morning (helps he's an early riser). Now I just use an absorbent mat "just in case".

Really no sense in rushing. The child's body will tell when he/she is ready.

Hatzlacha!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers