Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Whats the best milk substitute???
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Feb 10 2009, 5:52 pm
I'll try it only for one month and then see if it helps his ear infection situation.

nech770

Post Tue, Feb 10 2009, 6:03 pm
Good for you MamaBear -
I find soy is the best but it does have a lot of the same properties as milk - so you might find it doesn't help much - I would go to almond - rice I find is a little watery - but make sure you are getting something enriched as some are not and you don't want to be missing calcium and other vitamins.
Try different brands and see what you like - do you find you or the little one get flemy at all with milk - if you do then you probably will have the same problem with soy...
Good luck and keep us posted.

Mommy3.5

Post Tue, Feb 10 2009, 10:40 pm
Just so you know, it can take a month for the milk to leave your system, before you see any change in the baby. You need to do it for at least 3 months before yo can determine a difference.

We use liebers rice milk---My son is allergic to rice dream, oat dream and almond milk.

The vanilla one is very good, and liebers should be easy t find in your neck of the woods.

MommyLuv

Post Tue, Feb 10 2009, 10:43 pm
I've heard Hemp milk is really good. Has anyone tried it?

Mimisinger

Post Tue, Feb 10 2009, 10:47 pm
soy milk is the best, but not pretty in cereal - it's just not the right color, but it's the best around.

Be careful with almond milk, esp. if there are allergies in your family. Your baby could have allergic reactions through your milk from it, and that could be worse than ear infections.

Pineapple

Post Tue, Feb 10 2009, 10:49 pm
MommyLuv wrote:

What kind of milk is this?

ra_mom

Post Tue, Feb 10 2009, 10:51 pm
I like almond milk much better than soy or rice. It's better for you too.

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Feb 10 2009, 11:34 pm
THREE months? That's a lot.
Let's see. I'll be a lot more on top of the reflux meds this month, and I'll take him to the chiropractor once a week. let's see if thsi helps.

behappysk

Post Wed, Feb 11 2009, 10:45 am
I think almond milk has the most similar texture to real milk give it a try

MommyLuv

Post Sun, Feb 15 2009, 12:01 pm
Pineapple wrote:
MommyLuv wrote:

What kind of milk is this?

from the hemp plant.

here's a link for info:

http://www.ghchealth.com/natur.....milk/

mama-star

Post Sun, Feb 15 2009, 7:51 pm
I love soy milk, and chocolate soy milk is heaven. however, soy milk can be congesting just as dairy milk can be, so maybe, for your purposes, you might want to try rice milk?

qeenB

Post Sun, Feb 15 2009, 10:05 pm
if you are doing it for allergy reasons I would stay off of nut milks and soy milk just to be on the safe side. I drink the brand Pacific oat milk which I find is thicker than rice milk but it has a much stronger taste. rice milk is more mild but doesnt have much nutritional value. oat milk has as much protein as soy milk, but you need to develop a taste for it.

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Feb 15 2009, 10:13 pm
hes not allergic to nuts. He keeps getting ear ifnections so I thought getting off dairy might help.

HAPPYMOMMY

Post Sun, Feb 15 2009, 10:15 pm
Mama Bear just out of curiousity, are you seeing results with the reflux in regards to the chiropracter?

micki

Post Sun, Feb 15 2009, 10:26 pm
best taste? vitasoy. best taste for price? price chopper soymilk.
ricemilk is too sweet for use with cereal.

AGINY

Post Sun, Feb 15 2009, 10:32 pm
I am assuming that if you are doing it for your son that that means you are nursing. You should probably talk to your pediatrition or the like to get a recommended substitute. My sis in law's baby was reacting badly to dairy, but when she cut it out her milk supply diminished drastically. I am not sure this is a decision to make on your own.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

Pickle Lady

Post Sun, Feb 15 2009, 11:22 pm
I don't drink dairy while nursing for 3 of my kids and my breastmilk is just fine. My milk never diminished in supply.

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Feb 15 2009, 11:53 pm
happymommy I only started a week ago. also, he doesnt ahve any reflux symptoms so I cant really see the difference. I'll only know if it worked if he doesnt have an ear infection next month.

HAPPYMOMMY

Post Sun, Feb 15 2009, 11:55 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
happymommy I only started a week ago. also, he doesnt ahve any reflux symptoms so I cant really see the difference. I'll only know if it worked if he doesnt have an ear infection next month.

the reason I asked was b/c I also took ds to a chiropracter when I was at my wits end. And I did see results (it only helped certain symptoms) and I was wondering if anyone else had similiar results.

Alef Bais

Post Mon, Feb 16 2009, 12:07 am
I use Soy Dream. I wouldn't say that it tastes like milk, but it's good!
When my almost 2-year-old was a newborn, he would go nuts when I ate any dairy and refused to nurse so I had to cut dairy out completely. As it was, I was already off milk. Now, I'm pretty much still off dairy...I think I'm lactose intolerant.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen