Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains
Some ideas for a creative Bas Mitzvah party with a budget???

bazoooooks

Post Tue, Feb 10 2009, 7:37 pm
We will IYH be making our daughter a Bas Mitzvah party in June. Can anyone give me some creative ideas on what to do with the girls in her class that would be original and fun? We cant have a theme (school rules) unless its related to a Mitzvah/Yiddishkeit, it will be approx 2 1/2-3 hours and I want to make it really special -she's a very good girl!!
Any good ideas please?????

Alef Bais

Post Tue, Feb 10 2009, 7:42 pm
One activity they did at my nieces bas mitzvah party was decorating cookies. The cookies were baked beforehand, and the fondant icing was prepared in advance too. They created some really nice pieces and had fun!

canadamom

Post Tue, Feb 10 2009, 7:45 pm
teach the girls how to make and braid challah, with the special tfillah

ShakleeMom

Post Tue, Feb 10 2009, 7:47 pm
Someone recently did this: she taught them how to make challah, and imprinted the recipe on a bentcher card. So cool!

Mitzvahmom

Post Tue, Feb 10 2009, 8:52 pm
Where do u live?

In LA there is this great place to get things VERY cheap. Someone suggested to me that I give dolls to all the kids, and she showed me where to get these beautiful porcelain dolls 3 for $5.

When is her Bas Mitzvah? Is it close to purim or pesach? You could do a Mitzvah like bringing one item to give to a needy family? All the girls could decorate a box/something and put the food in it to surprise the family?

greenfire

Post Tue, Feb 10 2009, 8:57 pm
we made candlesticks with a "shabbos candle kit" - was FUN and creative and useful ...

lamplighter

Post Tue, Feb 10 2009, 9:21 pm
I wish I had the specifics, but if u can wait a few days I might be able to.
Some people I know did crafts in conjunction with an organization, maybe chai lifeline- not sure, ex. decorated pillow cases for children in the hospitals etc.
All the supplies are supplied by the organization but you do not keep the craft- it is a mitzvah.

MiracleMama

Post Tue, Feb 10 2009, 9:28 pm
la456 wrote:
I wish I had the specifics, but if u can wait a few days I might be able to.
Some people I know did crafts in conjunction with an organization, maybe chai lifeline- not sure, ex. decorated pillow cases for children in the hospitals etc.
All the supplies are supplied by the organization but you do not keep the craft- it is a mitzvah.

I would love more info about this myself if you can please share! (Or if anyone else knows and can share). What a beautiful idea!

tovasmom

Post Tue, Feb 10 2009, 9:33 pm
There is an organization like this in the NY area called Zichron Chana Baila. We ordered a project for my dd's bas mitzva a couple of years ago. the girls made the project along with get well cards which was earmarked to be sent in a larger "get well" package to kids in hospitals. They gave us the supplies and a sample of the package and project. The girls made the projects and we took pictures of the girls holding up their projects as a keepsake. We returned the finished projects to the organization, which is run by girls in Queens -- Kew Gardens Hills, I think. They do ask for a donation to help cover the cost of the projects. If you are in the NY area and are interested, PM me and I will get you the info.

bazoooooks

Post Wed, Feb 11 2009, 6:50 am
I am the OP
I live in Brooklyn-
Bas Mitzvah will be in June-before Summer/Camp.
I prefer to stay away from baking because this has been tried and to decorate cookies takes no more than 1/2 hour. All the girls Bas Mitzvas have been between 2 1/2 -4 1/2 hours. I would probably do 3 during the day (lunchtime). Other than the eating part, I need stuff to do that will take up time. I dont mind spending money (not too much)! and I like the idea about pillowcases, but someone did that. Someone did Challah already also, and from what I understand, it is not good to "repeat " ideas- the girls do not like that!.Please keep the ideas coming......

#1cook

Post Thu, Feb 12 2009, 7:26 pm
you could do a carnival and each booth could represent a different mitzvah or yom tov.

RachelEve14

Post Fri, Feb 13 2009, 1:04 am
My friend hired a dance teacher who came for an hour or 2 and danced with the girls. This only works if you have someplace to kick out your dh / sons / etc. but I thought I would throw it out there. The girls had a blast.

bitzenkiv

Post Fri, Feb 13 2009, 7:03 am
Hi! We just made a beautiful bat mitzvah for my daughter. B"H we were able to make it in the house so that helped a lot with the cost. The girls were mainly in the basement where they played Dance Dance Revolution and did a craft -- I got these felt art Al Hamichya projects to do. Color in the outside portion, paste on stickers and Al Hamichya on the inside. They are nice and portable. The invitations asked for donations to Chai Lifeline instead of gifts. We raised over $600.00
The adults were mostly on the first floor where I had all the food set up. A friend took beautiful photos and gave them to us as a gift. Fairly low cost and everyone really enjoyed themselves and felt good about the mitzvah.
For my other daughter, we had all the girls to the house and made soap. Then I bought cheap wire baskets which they decorated and small hand towels for netilas yadaim. We had a friend come to play music and I made all the food. It was fun and inexpensive.
Feel free to ask any questions.

lubmommy

Post Sat, Mar 14 2009, 10:15 pm
bump

I too am in need of ideas. Our Bas Mitzvah is in 2 1/2 weeks IY"H. I like the challa idea but dd isn't crazy about it.

Thanks.

OhWow!

Post Sun, Mar 15 2009, 4:04 pm
If you want cute girly benchers check out www.custombenchers.com . They have very nice stuff!

esther malka

Post Sun, Mar 15 2009, 10:59 pm
how about beading. a necklace, bracelet, set of napkin rings. you can buy beads in bulk . not so complicated and it can be time consuming.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains