Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Bread Machine advice needed!

sky

Post Mon, Feb 16 2009, 12:33 pm
I got a bread machine (thanks to all of your advice) but now I'm having trouble with it. I've made bread in it 3 times - all over night. 1 time it was absolutely delicous and light (with WW flour). The other 2 times it was heavy and thick like it had not risen. It is a Panasonic bread machine and the yeast goes in its own comparment and is dropped in automatically.

Why would this happen? Any advice?

brbs

Post Tue, Feb 17 2009, 1:37 am
Could the yeast have gone bad? Was the kitchen hot?

sky

Post Tue, Feb 17 2009, 11:57 am
the yeast was new. In individual packages.
The machine is supposed to keep the dough at the right temp. Anyways the room was about 69 degrees.

Anyone else? You all seemed to love your machine. did you ever have this?

mummy-bh

Post Tue, Feb 17 2009, 12:11 pm
I love love my bread machine and use it about 4-5 times a week, but I gave up using the delay function ages ago; it just never worked out.

Sorry, I can't offer you any advice about why it's not working out, but I'll be following this thread avidly in case anyone posts a solution!

tovasara

Post Wed, Feb 18 2009, 11:55 pm
I don't know for sure. But I know that a few things affect the yeast/rising. One is humidity, I find that my challah dough comes out differently based on the weather. Also, there's some ingredients that shoulddn't come in contact - I think the salt and yeast, or the eggs and yeast. Did you by any chance put the ingredients in a different order the other times. I hope this helps.

daisy

Post Thu, Feb 19 2009, 5:54 am
That's happened to me on occasion. For a while I stopped making the bread overnight, so I could check the dough. From what I recall, I think sometimes my dough didn't have enough flour. If I were you, I would make bread a couple of times while home, so I could monitor every stage.

Also, like someone said, make sure you put in all the liquid ingredients first, then add the dry ones.

Raisin

Post Thu, Feb 19 2009, 7:21 am
I have a panosonic with its own compartment, but the compartment is for raisins or seeds that need to be added halfway through the cycle. Yeast should be added at the beginning, straight into the bowl with everything else. in my panasonic you put the yeast in first, then four and other dry ingr and then wet ingr.

also you need to use strong (high gluten) bread flour.

sky

Post Thu, Feb 19 2009, 7:30 am
My directions say first to put in the dry ingredients and then the wet ingredients. It seems very weird because the yeast is closer to the salt (and eggs) this way. but that is how the directions say to do it - I've gone over them so many times.

And the compartment on top is for yeast. It says on it 'yeast' and it has a tiny whole to dispense it. I wish I had a compartment for raisins.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads