Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
10th of Teves
1  2  Next

dina

Post Mon, Dec 20 2004, 9:02 pm
Are you fasting this Wednesday (10th of Teves)?

Rochel Leah

Post Mon, Dec 20 2004, 10:09 pm
I plan to, its one of the shorter ones, so why not? I am not such a bad faster. My Rav says that women do not have to fast the minor ones even if not nursing ...if you want to kol hakavod.

miriam

Post Mon, Dec 20 2004, 11:16 pm
While nursing or pregnant, I only fast Yom Kippur, 17 Tammuz, 9 Av.

gryp

Post Wed, Dec 22 2004, 6:10 pm
TGIO= Thank G-d Its Over! Very Happy
(at least here it is...)

proudmom

Post Wed, Dec 22 2004, 6:31 pm
I forgot all about the fast. MY husband ate breakfast this morning without realizing that there was a fast today. The only way I knew there was a fast is when I dropped my kids off at school and heard a teacher talking to someone else about the fast.

Rivka

Post Wed, Dec 22 2004, 7:10 pm
well I need to prepare my brain at least a day in advance and today I didn't know and I never eat breakfast (which is good) and weirdly this morning I was hungry and I am only every hungry in the morning for breakfast when it is a fast day, so I guess maybe something in me knew. But I didn't have breakfast and my hubby came home for lunch and I was just going to make lunch when he told me it's a fast and I thought he was joking...so I was very irratable all day coz I go to work in the evening and I broke my fast on a drink I took with me to work and chocolate I found in my bag.
I find it harder fasting when working, but I feel really bad if I break my fast unless I am pregnant or feeding.

Rochel Leah

Post Wed, Dec 22 2004, 8:16 pm
B'h my fast went fine, the day just flew by, I didnt have time to think about food.

a Rabbi once told me : You don't need to super religeous when it comes to fasting minor fasts...you have house to take care of and you need you're energy for that.

Tefila

Post Wed, Dec 22 2004, 8:54 pm
Our fast started here at 7:30am and finished at 5:07pm so all I missed was lunch and, and I did the whole fast Very Happy

Motek

Post Wed, Dec 22 2004, 9:00 pm
what's Tisha B'Av like - what are the hours?

miriam

Post Wed, Dec 22 2004, 9:29 pm
I need to edit my last post about fasting. This fast is in the same category of importance as 17 Tammuz. This fast is when the Beis Hamikddosh was first surrounded. So yes I did fast. Not too bad but I was really hungry at the end.
In high school, one of the English teachers asked us why we were fasting on this day. None of has a clue. She thought it was so silly that we hadn't learned it in school. I was pretty embaressed I didn't know.

sarahd

Post Thu, Dec 23 2004, 12:45 pm
Don't feel so bad. My husband asked me yesterday as we were eating the pre-fast breakfast what happened on 10 Teves, so I guess they don't learn much about it in yeshiva either. I'm glad I went to a girls' school - my husband doesn't know much Nach either, and he's always complaining that when the gemora refers to something in nach, he has to go to the Nach and learn the whole thing from the beginning (or else he asks me Smile ). He doesn't understand why they don't teach Nach in yeshiva. But that a different topic...

sara1b

Post Thu, Dec 23 2004, 1:01 pm
I thought this fast had to do with when they translated the torah to greek? my 13 yr old daughter came home and baked until we could eat-nothing like breaking the fast w/homemade chocolate chip cookies and homemade pizza..lol

imanut

Post Thu, Dec 23 2004, 1:25 pm
I didn't fast, but I only ate what I felt was necessary. that was hard enough.

Motek

Post Thu, Dec 23 2004, 1:32 pm
the fast was to mark the siege Nevuchadnetzar made on Yerushalayim, which led to the breaking of the wall on 17 Tamuz and the destruction of the Temple on 9 Av

zuncompany

Post Thu, Dec 23 2004, 2:57 pm
I was told not to fast it while nursing. I was told to eat regular but not to nosh.

Sara

dina

Post Thu, Dec 23 2004, 3:06 pm
no nosh applies to every fast.

Yael

Post Thu, Dec 23 2004, 3:22 pm
I hate fasting, but only since I got pregnant with my first. when I was younger I always had easy fasts. but I find that just tisha b'av and yom kippur are extremely hard for me when pregnant and nursing. so B"H I've never had to fast any minor fasts for a few years.
I have to remind myself not to offer my husband anything that I'm eating. you forget about it when you dont have to fast.

Rochel Leah

Post Thu, Dec 23 2004, 3:30 pm
about noshing, as kids ( before bar and bas mitzvah) growing up we were not allowed to have nosh or any treats on a fast day.

imanut

Post Thu, Dec 23 2004, 3:57 pm
I felt really funny the first time I ate on a fastday while pregnant. it was actually asarah b'teves last year. I didn't want to break, I didn't feel I needed to, but my husband insisted.

sarahd

Post Thu, Dec 23 2004, 4:33 pm
sara1b wrote:
I thought this fast had to do with when they translated the torah to greek?

There were three tragedies in a row, on 8, 9 and 10 Teves. On 8 Teves the translation of the Torah was finished and three days of darkness descended on the world. On 9 Teves Ezra Hasofer (I think) was niftar and on 10 Teves Nevuzaradan (Nevuchanetzar's general) came and besieged Yerushalayim. Basically, we should fast all three days, but since we don't have the koach for that, we fast only on the 10th. But "chassidim and anshei maaseh" fast on all three days.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note