Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Motivate me!!!
1  2  Next

blondie

Post Wed, Mar 04 2009, 9:35 am
Or at least help me motivate myself! Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation
I am exercising several months post baby with at least 20 or 25 lbs to lose. I'm also sabotaging my efforts b/c I love food too much. Yes I am nursing, and I eat great big healthy meals, but I snack too much in between meals........
Can you tell me what you say to yourself to prevent overeating or snacking on junk.... that really helps you control yourself?

Question Question Question

Ruchel

Post Wed, Mar 04 2009, 9:49 am
my friends looks at herself in the mirror when she is hungry.

I can be your diet buddy if you want. I've put on 2 kilos since I moved due to being in a place with everything kosher at hand... oy oy.

cubbie

Post Wed, Mar 04 2009, 9:57 am
First thing in the morning I always do 2 things....
(1) I make a big pot of soup
(2) Cut up lots of veg sticks
That's my nosh for the day, I only eat "real" food at mealtimes

But.... EVERY NIGHT I eat a SMALL treat before I go to bed, either a couple of squares of chocolate or a small cookie, that helps me to not build up a sweet craving - but I wouldn't do this if you're the kind of person who doesn't have self-control with sweets, then I'm afraid that cold turkey works better.

Also if during the day I'm really craving sweet I'll have a very small handful of dried fruit, because even though it's packed in sugar and not the lowest thing calorie wise, it goes through the system very well.

blondie

Post Wed, Mar 04 2009, 10:04 am
Interesting tip re the mirror.... I like that one.

Wow if I made soup and vegs every morning I would really have what to eat. What kind of soups do you make?

amother

Post Wed, Mar 04 2009, 10:13 am
Ruchel wrote:
I can be your diet buddy if you want. I've put on 2 kilos since I moved due to being in a place with everything kosher at hand... oy oy.

im another mother who needs motivation and this idea ruchel does not help me at all.

I have the noshing problem too, but I have tried going cold turkey and it is so hard for me. but on the other hand if I have something, anything in the house, I am not able to eat only a little bit, like a candy bar. I can never just have a bite or a square, it has to be the whole thing. oy, what to do.

cubbie

Post Wed, Mar 04 2009, 10:22 am
blondie wrote:

Wow if I made soup and vegs every morning I would really have what to eat. What kind of soups do you make?

Carrot and corriander
Butternut and garlic
Zuccinni and dill
Broccolli & cauliflower

Basically whatever I have in the fridge/freezer avoiding the starches (peas, corn, potato, sweet potato)

I cut an onion and saute using spray oil, then add chopped whatever veg I choose after a couple more minutes I add water, parev chicken soup powder, herbs, salt, pepper, bring it to the boil and then blend it (I like thick soups and find them more filling)

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Mar 04 2009, 10:27 am
cubbie wrote:
blondie wrote:

Carrot and corriander
Butternut and garlic
Zuccinni and dill
Broccolli & cauliflower

Basically whatever I have in the fridge/freezer avoiding the starches (peas, corn, potato, sweet potato)

I cut an onion and saute using spray oil, then add chopped whatever veg I choose after a couple more minutes I add water, parev chicken soup powder, herbs, salt, pepper, bring it to the boil and then blend it (I like thick soups and find them more filling)
your soups sound great. what could one use if they dont use soup mixes to give it flavor? just any old spices?

blondie

Post Wed, Mar 04 2009, 10:28 am
How do you know if you have a real eating addiction? What's the difference between that and being weak-willed?
I used to have such willpower when I really tried. Now I'm so tired from baby and kids and extra weight.
I have zero willpower even though inside I want to lose weight so badly. That's why I at least started working out.... easier than avoiding food.

cubbie

Post Wed, Mar 04 2009, 10:40 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
cubbie wrote:
blondie wrote:

Carrot and corriander
Butternut and garlic
Zuccinni and dill
Broccolli & cauliflower

your soups sound great. what could one use if they dont use soup mixes to give it flavor? just any old spices?

I'm guilty of always using powder embarrassed I would just play with herbs and spices but it may need alot more salt to bring out the flavor.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Mar 04 2009, 11:46 am
I always get upset when people say they need "motivation". Are you lo oleinu waiting for diabetes to set in, or a heart problem ? If you want to lose weight, just lose it without the fanfare !

Remember it's mostly what you eat. Exercise is great, but it's mostly "calories in" that count. Speak to a nutritionist or your dr for the healthiest way to do this.

pinkbubbles

Post Wed, Mar 04 2009, 12:20 pm
Ruchel wrote:

If you're hungry you shouldn't not eat, that can lead to really really unhealthy habits. If someone wants to eat junk food thats another story. Theres nothing wrong with eating healthy food in a balanced diet. Starving doesn't work. Speaking from experience.

ora_43

Post Wed, Mar 04 2009, 2:03 pm
For me, looking in the mirror would backfire. Any attempt to make eating emotional/a matter of self-esteem (in this case, "ahh look at me I'm fat and ugly," etc) just makes me want to eat more.

Even if it "helps" in the sense that you eat less, I don't think inducing body shame is a good thing.

What works for me is:
1) Having a healthy reason for wanting to diet, eg, for my own health, because I want to do a particular activity, etc, not because I want other people to think I look nice or because I feel bad about myself otherwise.
2) Like Cubbie said, having a snack at the end of the day. That way I don't feel deprived. Just knowing I can have the snack makes it less tempting.
3) Getting out of the house. If we spend the morning at the playground, in the library, at a friend's house, etc, then I just don't eat from morning to lunch. It's very simple, there's no temptation to resist.
4) Get enough sleep. It's natural to turn to food as an instant sugar/calorie rush that makes you feel energetic for a few minutes if you're exhausted. I know it's very difficult to sleep enough with young kids, but IMO that's one of the most important things you can do health-wise, and not just in terms of weight loss either. (btw, that last one isn't in the first person because it's not something I actually do yet, but I'm working on it.)

GoodEnough

Post Wed, Mar 04 2009, 3:15 pm
write down on a piece of paper all the reasons why you want to lose weight then every time you feel like noshing you should read what you wrote.
also keep yourself occupied. think of a project or something you can work on and every time you want to nosh do a little bit of work on project - if you like puzzles you could work on a puzzle.
also don't weigh yourself every day it can get discouraging if one day you gain a pound or two, rather stick to weighing yourself a certain day every week.

flowerpower

Post Wed, Mar 04 2009, 3:16 pm
Don't keep foods you like in the house.

Choose an ideal weight loss goal and keep telling yourself that you want to get there and it doesn't pay to eat that thing.

Fill up on water.

GoodEnough

Post Wed, Mar 04 2009, 3:18 pm
another idea - don't buy the junk in the first place - that way you won't be tempted.

ShakleeMom

Post Wed, Mar 04 2009, 3:34 pm
I have cherry sour balls in each cheek.

patriot

Post Wed, Mar 04 2009, 3:43 pm
I do some sort of exercise in the morning (jumping jacks, sit ups, or workout with a cd). that way I dont want to "undo" it later on by snacking. walking at night keeps the nighttime noshing at bay.

amother

Post Wed, Mar 04 2009, 4:13 pm
Last spring, I also had about 20 lbs to lose after having a baby. We eat very healhty, and I walk everywhere, but the pounds wouldn't go away/ Maybe a pound here and ther, but nothing substantial. Over the summer my husband teaches at a kiruv retreat. We go as a family. I started noticing the pounds were flying off so fast! By the end of the summer, everything was gone. I realized mid-summer, that there was one thing I wasn't eating. Alhtough we eat very healthy, for a quick bite we would eat frozen veggie burgers and veggie nuggets, and other soy type products that we'd just pop in the microwave for lunch or if we were in a rush. I realized these were just keeping me from losing weight, and over the summer, when, I wasn't eating them, I started losing. So, dh and I went "cold turkey" with them and no longer eat them! I haven't had one bite since. Also eating 3 good meals a day limited the amount I would snack. Juice was served only at breakfast. I drank water throughout the rest of the day.

A few simple changes to your diet, even a healthy one, may very well make the biggest difference!

ClaRivka

Post Wed, Mar 04 2009, 4:18 pm
Why was the soy veggie burger the thing that kept ur body back??

amother

Post Wed, Mar 04 2009, 4:23 pm
ClaRivka wrote:
Why was the soy veggie burger the thing that kept ur body back??

There are a lot of calories in them! Plus, a lot of sodium as well. These were really just keeping the pounds on!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise