Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Side Dishes for shabbos Day

shoy18

Post Fri, Feb 17 2006, 10:22 am
Anyone have any ideas, I need a side dish for shabbos day, not a kugel.

I am making a meat salad, chicken cutlets, chulent, and kugel. I need another side dish. HELP

goldrose

Post Fri, Feb 17 2006, 10:25 am
sounds like you need some veggies

DefyGravity

Post Fri, Feb 17 2006, 10:25 am
-I've been making garlic green beans lately, using frozen ones. It's really easy and tastes good.
-You could also make potato wedges (with olive oil and spices or mayo and onion soup mix)
-Rice
-mashed potatoes

SV

Post Fri, Feb 17 2006, 10:28 am
I am a big rice person:

1. Sautee onion, peppers, tomatoes, and any other veggies you like (mushrooms, zucchini etc) with a little oil in a pot. Add water, bring to boil, add rice (1 to 3 ratio to water) and spices (I also add a little ketchup or tomato sauce sometimes) and cook until water absorbed (or rice ready). Comes out yummy with brown rice!

2. Sautee garlic and scallions, add cooked rice and soy sauce and a scrambled egg (or 2 depending on how much rice) broken into small pieces. The real recipe calls for cut up deli (pastrami and turkey) but I've skipped that before and it comes out good. Saute on low flame for a few minutes until all mixed in.

L"chavod shabbos kodesh LOL

chen

Post Fri, Feb 17 2006, 12:20 pm
you definitely need veggies. Preferably fresh but cooked if you can't do fresh. see the recent "salad recipes" post. worst comes to worst, just cut up some cukes, tomatoes, peppers, scallions, with or without lettuce, and drizzle with some olive oil and vinegar.

Crayon210

Post Fri, Feb 17 2006, 1:43 pm
DefyGravity, what's your green bean recipe?

mother of 2 princess's

Post Sat, Feb 18 2006, 5:57 pm
how about a waldolf salad. I made one for shabbos this week without the walnuts. just apple pineapple raisons and celery the whole bowel went.

cl

Post Tue, Mar 21 2006, 11:19 am
DefyGravity wrote:
-I've been making garlic green beans lately, using frozen ones. It's really easy and tastes good.
-You could also make potato wedges (with olive oil and spices or mayo and onion soup mix)
-Rice
-mashed potatoes

that sounds really good - please give me the recipe

DefyGravity

Post Tue, Mar 21 2006, 11:24 am
Sorry, I didn't see that people asked for the recipe.
I sautee a diced onion in margarine, add a bag of frozen whole green beans, let it sit on a low flame covered, stir occasionally. Add garlic salt and slivered almonds, or when you serve it you can put French's fried onions on it.
It's very simple and tastes great.

hardwrknmom

Post Tue, Mar 21 2006, 11:46 am
Shoy this is absolutely delicious & pretty!

Sweet snap peas
Red peppers

Olive oil
Garlic powder
salt
Soy sauce

Saute olive oil, add red peppers (cut thinly) and sweet snap peas. Add garlic powder and a drizzle of salt. saute for 10-12 minutes till the vegies get soft yet still crunchy. Shut off fire and add soy sauce. DELICIOUS!

I'm not sure it will last for the day though??

berkeley

Post Wed, May 26 2010, 11:37 am
2. Sautee garlic and scallions, add cooked rice and soy sauce and a scrambled egg (or 2 depending on how much rice) broken into small pieces. The real recipe calls for cut up deli (pastrami and turkey) but I've skipped that before and it comes out good. Saute on low flame for a few minutes until all mixed in.

Could you please tell us the amounts that you use, and how much it makes?

SV

Post Wed, May 26 2010, 11:48 am
baltimore wrote:

Could you please tell us the amounts that you use, and how much it makes?

Oh wow, that's a really old post of mine Smile
I haven't made this in a while, and the truth is I've never used an exact recipe, but I can try to estimate. I would say for a cup of cooked white rice, I would use 2 scallions, 1 scrambled egg and maybe a tablespoon of soy sauce? I usually just sprinkle some on, mix and see if the rice turned slighly brown from the sauce. You dont want to put too much because it will be too salty, so maybe start with 1/2 tablespoon, mix and taste?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus