Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Shabbos clothes, help!

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Feb 17 2006, 9:52 am
Alright, who can help me get dressed for Shabbos, lol!

First – note that I go to shul every single Shabbos (I help with the Kiddush, too) and I need help with the following:

First of all, shoes – what do I do if it’s pouring rain, do I wear sneakers? I don’t have rain boots….I don’t have an old pair of plain black shoes, either……..

Also – what do I do in cold winter? I wear plain, black, leather boots every day to work…should I look for a dressier pair for Shabbos?

Next – tights.

I wear support hose every day, although not the surgical kind. I wear a nude color every day and thought black would be nice for Shabbos – is that still the style? And is it so terrible to wear the same hose every day and Shabbos?

Many thanks………

chen

Post Fri, Feb 17 2006, 10:44 am
I really don't think that having special clothes for shabbos needs to extend to hose. nice if you can, but hose are not considered "important" clothes that you get major oneg from. I like to wear a new pair of hose for the first time on shabbat, and then when it gets a little rattier wear if on weekdays. but I don't obsess about it--if it happens to be that all I have is a pair of hose I've worn twenty times, as long as it's not snagged or full of holes, so be it.

Why wouldn't black support hose be in style? It's davka the nude color that looks more industrial. Support balck hose look a lot better IMO than support skintone. (Not with a light-color dress, of course!)

If your every day boots are classically simple, and not a clunky storm-boot style, it's perfectly ok for shabbat, too. If you like to be dressier you could go for a similar style with a bit more of a heel. assuming the fashion boot is waterproof, it will serve for rainy and snowy days. Unless the tall part is insulated or fuzzy lined, it will also work for rainy days in all except summer weather.

the only real sticky question is rainy days in summer. too hot for boots. I'd go for a pair of non-leather shoes that will not be ruined by rain or waterproof leather pumps. Rockport has waterproof leather pumps (Gates lane) that are about $80 at 6pm.com or shop.com. they have a moderate chunky heel.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Feb 17 2006, 12:32 pm
Thank you.

Tefila

Post Fri, Feb 17 2006, 12:49 pm
I like the leather thigh high or knee high boots unlined this way no shvitz and works for most weather except hot sunny days. They are elegant and you can wear with a heel yes but a smaller one on those rainy days. Shoes and boots make any outfit. e.g. someone can be dressed gorg but wear sneakers or clumsy shoes and that basically wrecks the outfit imo. However wear a plainsy skirt and top with gorg shoes/boots and your outfit is made. Unless you are sitting behind a desk all day and noone see's the rest of u Tongue Out
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics