Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Games
Shesh besh

GoodEnough

Post Sun, Mar 08 2009, 4:22 pm
anyone play this game?

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Mar 11 2009, 9:01 pm
yes. for those who want the english name, it's backgammon.

Fabulous

Post Wed, Mar 11 2009, 9:23 pm
I grew up on it. Every shabbos afternoon we would take turns playing my father. Although, my dh doesn't play so since I got married I don't think I even played once.

GoodEnough

Post Wed, Mar 11 2009, 9:27 pm
if you enjoy the game you can play online at play65.com you need to download program and you play with players all over the world. I really enjoy the game even though I think it's mainly luck.

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Mar 11 2009, 9:42 pm
no, it's not mainly luck. there is some luck involved, but it's also strategy. you have to know the board well, understand the math, and know when it's worth it to leave one piece on its own. you also have to know when it's worth it to knock off an opponent's piece. I find it's rarely worth it. the games when I take revenge are the games I lose more often than not.

GoodEnough

Post Wed, Mar 11 2009, 9:43 pm
do you play online at play65?

GoodEnough

Post Wed, Mar 11 2009, 9:53 pm
mummiedearest - I ask because you sound like a good player and would like to have a game with you. anyway I agree with you that it is not only luck a good player has a good strategy. I'm not that good a player but I keep trying to improve my skills. and I know what you mean about those games when you try taking revenge. my favourite games are when I've completed blocked my opponent.

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Mar 11 2009, 9:54 pm
no. I've played on yahoo, but I generally try to avoid online games. I'm hard to separate from computer games Smile

I have a good quality backgammon set and play with family members and friends. speaking of which, I haven't played in a while... perhaps I should organize a tournament.

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Mar 11 2009, 9:56 pm
a game with you sounds fun, but seriously, I have to avoid these things. I can play them for hours on end. no kidding. my kids could renovate the house and I wouldn't notice. not the safest idea. but you may want to try yahoo, you can choose the level opponent you want. it's interesting to see how people rate themselves.

GoodEnough

Post Wed, Mar 11 2009, 9:59 pm
only if you invite me Wink

dh and I used to play a couple of games every night - but now I only play online occasionally.

GoodEnough

Post Wed, Mar 11 2009, 10:04 pm
Quote:
I can play them for hours on end
- me too!!! I used to spend hours playing online when I first learnt the game - couple years ago. now b"h I've stopped - but I've found imamother instead Confused

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Mar 11 2009, 10:10 pm
muminlondon wrote:
Quote:
I can play them for hours on end
- me too!!! I used to spend hours playing online when I first learnt the game - couple years ago. now b"h I've stopped - but I've found imamother instead Confused

heh heh. dare I say ditto? I'm cutting back on my imamother hours. now I have time to sleep.

Tamiri

Post Thu, Mar 12 2009, 1:47 am
I'm a shesh besher.

BeershevaBubby

Post Thu, Mar 12 2009, 2:13 am
My husband is a programmer for an Israeli/US free online gaming company.

You can get to it via Facebook and other social networking sites, or go to mytopia.com
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics