Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
Schwarma

e1234

Post Mon, Mar 09 2009, 1:31 am
I bought schwarma meat/turkey - how do I make it?
do I just fry with spices? which spices?

Strawberry

Post Mon, Mar 09 2009, 2:40 am
I have schwarma meat in my freezer for a few months already. I need a recipe/directions too!

Tamiri

Post Mon, Mar 09 2009, 3:40 am
If it's the dark turkey meat, you can use it as a roast with liquid or you can grill it. I would not fry it and I am not sure about stir-frying it either - turkey meat can get tough. You need to cook it on low till it's soft.

e1234

Post Mon, Mar 09 2009, 3:51 am
so tamari - how do I cook it?

Tamiri

Post Mon, Mar 09 2009, 3:54 am
Tell me what you are in the mood for. Flavor-wise. I will go get out my turkey-recipe booklet given out when I was a newlywed here in the mid 80s.

Tamiri

Post Mon, Mar 09 2009, 3:58 am
I can't find my hodu booklet Sad

Tamiri

Post Mon, Mar 09 2009, 4:01 am
http://cafe.mouse.co.il/view.php?t=391843

ChossidMom

Post Mon, Mar 09 2009, 4:02 am
I also took a package of dark turkey/shwarma meat from the freezer for Purim Seuda.

I'm going to fry it up with onions with lots of spices, including garlic, cinammon, turmeric and maybe chawage teimani. Last time I made this it was a huge hit.

Tamiri

Post Mon, Mar 09 2009, 4:04 am
Yum!

Tamiri

Post Mon, Mar 09 2009, 4:05 am
Fry as in stir-fry, right? Not like shnitzel.

ChossidMom

Post Mon, Mar 09 2009, 4:05 am
stir fry.
Yum is right.

DefyGravity

Post Mon, Mar 09 2009, 7:14 am
I make shawarma all the time.

I sautee onions and garlic, and then add chicken strips, and season it with curry, cumin, salt, pepper, and coriander. It tastes very authentic and it's one of our favorite meals.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Mar 09 2009, 7:25 am
I make a delicious Schwarma inspired chicken all the time. I use dark chicken cutlets, and I think it would probably work just as well with dark turkey. It would be too dry with chicken or turkey breast.

Schwarma Inspired Baby Chicken Skewers
Ingredients
• 1.25 - 1.5 lbs. dark chicken cutlets (boneless, skinless chicken bottoms)
• 1 Tbsp lemon juice
• 4 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 Tbsp sugar or equivalent sugar substitute
• 1 tsp curry powder
• ½ tsp cumin
• ½ tsp ground coriander
• Kosher salt
Preparation
Cut chicken into long strips. Place in large Ziplock bag. Set aside.
Add the rest of the ingredients, except salt, to the chicken. Zip the bag closed; shake bag very well to coat chicken evenly. Marinate chicken for 2 hours in the fridge.
Preheat oven at 475’.
While wearing disposable gloves, thread the chicken onto skewers, using 1 chicken strip per 1 skewer. Repeat until all the chicken strips have been threaded.
Place chicken skewers on a cookie sheet size aluminum pan.
Sprinkle with salt.
Bake uncovered for 25 minutes.

skymile

Post Mon, Mar 09 2009, 7:29 am
if you look in the spice isle of your grocery, you should find "schwarma spice". I cut up onions, cut chicken cutlets in thin strips. I stir fry that and add schwarma spice and curry to taste. if you like it spicier just add more schwarma spice... it takes about 10 min...

Tila

Post Thu, Mar 12 2009, 8:19 am
Does the cafe mouse translate into english??? I use pereg schwarma spice and stir fry.

Tila

Post Thu, Mar 12 2009, 8:22 am
For the recipe above, I laught that people are afraid to touch food!!! I use my bare hands all the time. I wash them constantly, and scrub my nails atr the same time!! Nothing like feeling food!!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey