Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Salads & Dips
Can I freeze my dips?

willow

Post Wed, Mar 11 2009, 8:02 am
Will they last till shabbos and can I freeze my dips?
Some have mayo, some herbs, some bean based and some oil. One is a fresh salsa (small tomatoes, onions, garlic cilantro spices processed fine)

BeershevaBubby

Post Wed, Mar 11 2009, 8:18 am
It's already Wednesday afternoon... keep them in the coldest part of the fridge and they'll be fine.

Anything with lemon juice or vinegar will keep, especially for 3 days.

NotInNJMommy

Post Wed, Mar 11 2009, 8:22 am
Mayo does NOT freeze well.

I've found if I want to make a huge batch of eggplant dip (to which I add mayo). I freeze w/o mayo and add in after I thaw it for that week.

But yes, for a couple days if there is vinegar/lemon juice, there shouldn't be a problem.

ss321

Post Wed, Mar 11 2009, 8:27 am
willow wrote:
Will they last till shabbos and can I freeze my dips?
Some have mayo, some herbs, some bean based and some oil. One is a fresh salsa (small tomatoes, onions, garlic cilantro spices processed fine)

I find that homemade mayo doesnt freeze well at all. Store bought mayo freezes better probably because of all the perservatives and garbage they add, but still. Your best bet might be freezing everything but the mayo and adding it when you defrost.
Fresh salsa definitely dont freeze. It will be mushier and wont be as spicy. Ive tried it with a tomato dip before (Made it in bulk as an experiment- to see if I could freeze it. Failed) Eggplant doesnt freeze well either.
bean based one should freeze fine
Its wednesday already. Leave them in the back corner of the fridge (definitely not on one of the shelves of the door - things there stay the warmest because of all the opening and closing) and they should be fine for shabbos! I make all my dips and stuff on wednesday, sometimes tuesday.

willow

Post Wed, Mar 11 2009, 8:45 am
except I made these on Monday for Purim and its a bit longer then from Wednesday to Shabbos????

ss321

Post Wed, Mar 11 2009, 9:01 am
willow wrote:
except I made these on Monday for Purim and its a bit longer then from Wednesday to Shabbos????

eh I dont think so. Ive made dips at the beginning of the week before, not a problem.
Mayo- beceause of the raw eggs (I make it myself, I hate hellmans and all the others), shouldnt sit out too long. but Monday to Friday, is totally fine. I dont keep it more then 10 days.

willow

Post Wed, Mar 11 2009, 9:11 am
So they should all be fine till Shalos Seuda?

ss321

Post Wed, Mar 11 2009, 9:50 am
willow wrote:
So they should all be fine till Shalos Seuda?

I really think so. veggie dips like the eggplant one, might taste fresher if they are made on friday, but I never make stuff friday. Dill dip will taste just the same. same for mayo. Salsa will taste the same probably.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics