Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
What's so great about Mineral Makeup?
1  2  3  Next

amother

Post Sun, Mar 15 2009, 11:00 pm
I am looking to buy some new makeup. My friend was ranting and raving about mineral makeup. Can someone tell me what it's all about?

willow

Post Mon, Mar 16 2009, 7:00 am
My sister-in laws were here this week and they also were raving about it. I am interested in hearing the replies. They also said that no one over 40 should be wearing foundation, but I do because I feel I need to. Am I wrong? I was told at a clinque counter that I should use it.

Aidelmom

Post Mon, Mar 16 2009, 7:02 am
you mean under 40?

willow

Post Mon, Mar 16 2009, 7:16 am
right;)

Blair

Post Mon, Mar 16 2009, 8:37 am
I also would like to know what mineral make-up is.

GoodEnough

Post Mon, Mar 16 2009, 9:02 am
first time I'm hearing about this... is it something that's sold in department store? let's hear more

RedRuby

Post Mon, Mar 16 2009, 9:29 am
I'm not an expert ~ and there are some professional cosmeticians on this board who would be more qualified to give you the actual data ~ but I've been using mineral makeup for 3 years and once you try it, you can't go back.

I use Jane Iredale mineral make-up (sold in specialty stores, or in salons or spas).

I guess the difference is: Mineral makeup (from a reputable brand) is not full of fillers and chemical junk that really wreaks havoc on your complexion.

My skin looks remarkably better than when I was using 'regular' makeup. The woman who gives me facials convinced me to try the mineral stuff. She said it's pure ingredients and that the other stuff is junk. Read the ingredients.... and compare.

Now every company is jumping on the bandwagon. I don't know if, say, Almay or Revlon's mineral makeup is as pure as they tout it to be. Read and compare.

I use the Jane Iredale "Amazing Base" which is powder that's applied with this special brush, but has full coverage. It's incredible....it doesn't look or feel heavy like regular powders or foundations.

You can check out their website for more specific info.

Hope that's helpful to those who were curious.

realeez

Post Mon, Mar 16 2009, 9:31 am
RedRuby wrote:

My skin looks remarkably better than when I was using 'regular' makeup.

ditto - I have been using bare escentuals for 1.5 yrs and love it!

Raisin

Post Mon, Mar 16 2009, 2:45 pm
realeez wrote:
RedRuby wrote:

I also use bare escentauls and I love it too. it takes seconds to put on as well. I used to use prescriptives which I liked too, but I like mineral make up. no idea if the hype is true about it being better for your skin though.

someone told me it is ok to use on shabbos, but I have not checked this with a rav.

realeez

Post Mon, Mar 16 2009, 3:16 pm
Raisin wrote:
realeez wrote:
RedRuby wrote:

I also use bare escentauls and I love it too. it takes seconds to put on as well. I used to use prescriptives which I liked too, but I like mineral make up. no idea if the hype is true about it being better for your skin though.

someone told me it is ok to use on shabbos, but I have not checked this with a rav.

I had a bad experience with a prescriptives makeover and have stayed far away from them. I also heard abt maybe being okay for shabbos but never asked so never used it on shabbos.

levial

Post Mon, Mar 16 2009, 3:21 pm
Mineral makeup may not be good for shabbat if there are oils in it - that's what makes those chalky ones for shabbos on the market ok..no oil..

Mineral makeup is buildable (I.e starts sheer) and can make you look more radiant naturally. I use Bare escentuals, too. She started her company and targeted people with bad complexions/issues to show the most improvement. Some people have issues with having blocked pores, etc and mineral ingredients are supposedly less clogging/irritating.

There is a technique to application (swirl, tap, buff) and you might need help finding the right foundation color...but I think it's cool stuff- not for my everyday routine but on Friday before Shabbat I use it since I feel like it'll fade well, naturally without making my face break out without washing off all the shabbat makeup.

Issues I've encountered:
While applied properly I look great, the powerdery residue is an issue. I travel for work the powder gets knocked around and you open it and it a bit of a mess, then like a cocaine addict, you try to somehow swoosh the fallen drops of powder back into the jar that you paid $30 for...not to mention the drops on your clothes.

If you don't let the moisturizer dry (and you're in a hurry like me all the time) you get stripes. Unlike liquid, you can't jut rub it in better...on the go.

In the winter if prone to dry skin, it accents the dryness (whereas liquid foundation can help moisturize and conceal the dry spots)

Some of the sparkly ones are too sparkly. Let me say this differently- my daughter calls the light eye shaddow "pixie dust" (she's 3)...that's too sparkly for me.

Investment in brushes required.

louche

Post Mon, Mar 16 2009, 3:33 pm
levial wrote:
my daughter calls the light eye shaddow "pixie dust" (she's 3)....

How adorable!

Raisin

Post Mon, Mar 16 2009, 3:34 pm
I bought a starter pack for about £50 in the uk - including 2 pots of foundation, 1 blush, one over powder (whatever it is called) and 3 brushes, plus some sort of moisteriser lotion.

raspberry tea

Post Mon, Mar 16 2009, 3:53 pm
I also wondered about it. They other day I picked up a starter kit at Target. On clearance of foundation. It was inexpensive and I've been wanting to try it. I love it!!!!!! It looks good and feels so light. And this isn't one of those really expensive brands. Anyways, I'm sold, I wouldn't want to use anything else!!

You must try it!

lamplighter

Post Mon, Mar 16 2009, 3:58 pm
Im a bare escentuals fan for 3 years! And I used to wear heavy make-up all the time.

realeez

Post Mon, Mar 16 2009, 3:59 pm
hope all the BE fans know about the site beaddicts.com - you can get great ideas there and see different ladies looks with BE makeup.

MamaBear

Post Mon, Mar 16 2009, 9:32 pm
Everyday Minerals is the best I've found. They have a free sample kit, their prices are a small fraction of Bare E, they have different finishes depending on you skin type and they have so many more foundation colors to choose from. You just go by your undertone and then how light/dark you are. Same pure ingredients as the pricier stuff but none of that bismuth ingredient that makes you look so shiny. They often have specials and their make your own kits make it really affordable (12 full size items for $50...so 12 foundations would be a little over $4 each)

www.everydayminerals.com

chavamom

Post Mon, Mar 16 2009, 9:41 pm
realeez wrote:
RedRuby wrote:

ditto -

Me too, but I have only been using it for a few months. I also like the natural look that you get with it.

staten islander

Post Mon, Mar 16 2009, 10:09 pm
I have been using BE for years and it works very well. Another great brand to try is Laura Mercier. Before I buy new make up, I usually check out makeupalley.com for reviews
I also do a peel weekly followed by jojoba-vitamin E oil to keep my skin supple and prevent dryness

willow

Post Tue, Mar 17 2009, 9:07 am
How do you know what colors are right for you? Don't you need a professional to give you the colors for your face and for them to see your skin type and give you what is appropriate?
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics