Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Too Good a Baby?

Marriedinisrael

Post Mon, Mar 16 2009, 10:16 am
Alright, I'm stating first: I'm not complaining. At all. (I'm just a worried new mommy.)
I just want to know if there is some semblance of normalcy in this, or is it something too good to be true.

My 5 week old sleeps 5 hours straight- from 12- 5 or 6 am, after cluster feeding starting at 7 at night.
She takes 2 nice naps during the day- 3-4 hours each, and is up playing in the morning and evening.

However, I still worry she sleeps too well, and too nicely. She takes a pacifier well, to help her fall asleep when she's obviously kvetchy and tired.
Can the pacifier lull her into sleep even though she really doesn't want to? Should she be sleeping less, up more, or kvetchy?

Has anyone else had such an experience?
Thanks!

JC

Post Mon, Mar 16 2009, 12:16 pm
If she is eating and gaining weight DONT WORRY - You are blessed with a laid back child, thank Hashem for the gift and that the grandparents for the genes.

I too was blessed with such a child and he is just a sleeper, if he doesnt get the sleep he needs he can be kvetch, so if you can, just let them sleep. Your second one wont likely be as lucky Wink Quiet time and darkness is something that only a firstborn usually get.

Dont forget that growing as much as they do at that age is HARD work and probably not comfortable, sleeping through it shows that they are adapting and responding to their bodies very well.

I would think about seeing if your baby can do well without the paci, if she can you will be better in the long run.

SomebodyElse

Post Mon, Mar 16 2009, 1:06 pm
Has she been doing this since birth, or did she start recently? Often newborns just want to sleep all the time and don't feed enough, and you have to wake them up for feedings. Once they reach 12 pounds or so, sleeping through the night is totally reasonable. Before that, it would make me nervous.

But since you mention the cluster feedings and her being alert on a regular schedule, it sounds like maybe she knows what she's doing! If she's getting 8 or more feedings a day, gaining weight, and having plenty of wet/dirty diapers, enjoy!

Regarding the paci, my DS was hooked on the paci for the first few months -- didn't want to be held, rocked, sung to, or anything, just wanted his paci. We were very nervous that he was going to be using it for the rest of his life! But our doctor said that as long as he didn't wake up if it fell out while he was sleeping, then his use of the paci was "healthy" and not a dependency. Around 3 months he stopped crying so much and we stopped giving it to him and never looked back.

sgr

Post Mon, Mar 16 2009, 1:23 pm
Perfectly normal,my baby is exactly the same he has been doing this since he was born,he is now 10 months old KA"H.

amother

Post Mon, Mar 16 2009, 3:00 pm
My oldest dd slept through the night a 4 weeks. I was nervous, too, but she was gaining weight just fine. Occasionally she would wake up for a miiddle of the night feeding, but for the most part she also slept from 12-6 or 7.

I was not so lucky with my second (or 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7!)! My second was the worst out of all of them! It made it even harder because I had been so spoiled with my first!

Relax and enjoy your baby! As long as the baby is gaining weight, don't worry! Get some sleep and enjoy playing with her when she is awake during the day!

yfrh

Post Mon, Mar 16 2009, 6:53 pm
My first daughter ate exactly every four hours within the 24 hour day. and slept easily.
Enjoy it while you can beacuse each child is different.

sarahla

Post Mon, Mar 16 2009, 9:48 pm
BH BH BH count your blessings!!! Tongue Out and enjoy it Smile

anonymom

Post Mon, Mar 16 2009, 9:53 pm
amother wrote:
My oldest dd slept through the night a 4 weeks. I was nervous, too, but she was gaining weight just fine. Occasionally she would wake up for a miiddle of the night feeding, but for the most part she also slept from 12-6 or 7.

I was not so lucky with my second (or 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7!)! My second was the worst out of all of them! It made it even harder because I had been so spoiled with my first!

Relax and enjoy your baby! As long as the baby is gaining weight, don't worry! Get some sleep and enjoy playing with her when she is awake during the day!

My oldest was also my best sleeper. She was sleeping the whole night by 7 or 8 weeks. and also 2 good solid naps every day.

hadasa

Post Tue, Mar 17 2009, 4:45 pm
I concur with the other posters- as long as she's eating and gaining well, and is alert during her wakeful periods, count your blessings. I had one baby who loved to sleep. It lasted until about a year and a half. She's five now, and as resistant to bedtime as anyone that age!

Marriedinisrael

Post Thu, Mar 19 2009, 10:21 am
Thanks for the reassurance everyone!
Yep, she seems to be thriving- had a checkup and she's exactly on the mark. So...I guess I'll enjoy it while it lasts! Oh, and I'm so glad to hear others have had this experience- I am/was extremely weirded out by it. Last night- she slept again, from 12-6. Sheesh.
Oh, and for the person who asked if I could get her off the paci- well, an LC put her on it to begin with Smile
She has an extreme need to suck. Hopefully, we'll be able to get rid of it eventually.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics