Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Are you trying any new recipes for Pesach ?

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Mar 19 2009, 4:11 pm
Usually I put away recipes all year, but the only thing that's new to us is a cake recipe that I tasted at BasHinda's house. I'll post it bli neder after I bake it - and eat it !!!

Fabulous

Post Thu, Mar 19 2009, 4:16 pm
I usually try at least one new recipe every year. Sometimes it flops (like sweet potato kugel), sometimes it becomes a staple (an interesting layered veggie kugel) and sometimes it was good that one year and that's it.

freidasima

Post Thu, Mar 19 2009, 4:17 pm
I've never made a pesachdik onion soup but I just made one now for shabbos and dh loves it so much (he was eating the onions from the pot as I was steaming them before making into soup) that I got the idea to make a pesachdik onion soup for the seder, instead of thickening with cornstarch I can use potato starch and the spices are the same and it's so simple!

cookielady

Post Thu, Mar 19 2009, 7:18 pm
Nope. Way to much work in preparing everything. Last year I tried a new recipe, with all the different steps, it took hours and was a flop.

I stick to our family tried and true successes.

anonymom

Post Thu, Mar 19 2009, 8:52 pm
cookielady wrote:
Nope. Way to much work in preparing everything. Last year I tried a new recipe, with all the different steps, it took hours and was a flop.

I basically cook the exact same things each year for this reason. It also makes the shopping list much easier. I have been making Pesach long enough, I almost don't need a list anymore. Ocassionally I will try one new recipe a year, but it usually does not come out good.

Pineapple

Post Thu, Mar 19 2009, 8:56 pm
freidasima wrote:
I've never made a pesachdik onion soup but I just made one now for shabbos and dh loves it so much (he was eating the onions from the pot as I was steaming them before making into soup) that I got the idea to make a pesachdik onion soup for the seder, instead of thickening with cornstarch I can use potato starch and the spices are the same and it's so simple!

Can you post the recipie please?

ra_mom

Post Thu, Mar 19 2009, 8:59 pm
I plan on trying Susie Fishbein's homemade Pesachdik "teriyaki" sauce recipe. That is, if I have enough time Smile

Mommy3.5

Post Thu, Mar 19 2009, 9:27 pm
freidasima wrote:

Potato starch doesn't work like corn starch, Fresh it will be fine, but after its refrigerated it turns into a gloppy mess that no amount of water can save. I tried it with mushroom sauce last year, and a friend did it for soup and both of them were disasters.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Mar 19 2009, 9:37 pm
Mommy3.5 wrote:
freidasima wrote:

Potato starch doesn't work like corn starch, Fresh it will be fine, but after its refrigerated it turns into a gloppy mess that no amount of water can save. I tried it with mushroom sauce last year, and a friend did it for soup and both of them were disasters.

I had such an experience with gloppy soup too!

Mimisinger

Post Thu, Mar 19 2009, 10:07 pm
cookielady wrote:

ditto - I really went all out last yr - lots of new recipes, lots for the trash bin.

dee's mommy

Post Thu, Mar 19 2009, 10:15 pm
I tend not to want to try anything new for Pesach. I can't really cook weeks ahead of time like the other Yom Tovim. I am just happy to get my house and kitchen kosher, and everything cooked. Maybe occasionally I will try something "new" (or at least similar) to what I already know, but not much. What may be new for me this year is actually making deserts (potato starch cakes/ brownies/ cookies).

Pesach is not really the time for me to be creative in the kitchen. After making everying kosher, I like to keep things simple.

This year is my second year making sedarim. Last year, as I was preparing just the sedar part (not even the meal), I had the thought that I should call the family who invited me to my first sedar years back and say "thank you." I was thinking this as I was checking romaine letuce leaves.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Mar 20 2009, 12:08 pm
I guess by new, I mean different. Occasionally I wil make a soup or salad during the year and think it'd be ok for pesach and make a copy of the recipe for my pesach folder.

truth be told, the cake recipe that I'm looking forward to making, is not really new; it's one I've eaten and made before, just not for pesach.

I guess new recipes means from a pesach cookbook or from an online board.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics