Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Pesach Recipes
Meat on seder night? Do you have it? How do you cook it?

SYV

Post Sun, Mar 22 2009, 5:06 pm
I want to make meat on seder night (I.e. a piece of meat, not meatballs or loaf etc), but I don't really get what it means that you can't have roasted meat. Other than salt beef, how else can you cook a good bit of beef for seder night? Easy, yummy recipe ideas please!
Ta muchly
SYV

bubby

Post Sun, Mar 22 2009, 5:12 pm
I never make meat for sedarim, but I have a great recipe. Do you use everything processed, nothing, some things?

SYV

Post Sun, Mar 22 2009, 5:15 pm
I use everything (not kitniyos) but everything else. From a health perspective, I tend to use not much processed stuff though, fresh veg and herbs are my staples. I thought we're meant to make meat for Yom Tov, no?

imasinger

Post Sun, Mar 22 2009, 5:24 pm
We do brisket. Yes, it gets cooked in the oven, but it's not really roasted. We are having almond fried chicken for the other seder.

bubby

Post Sun, Mar 22 2009, 5:27 pm
Check with your LOR re meat for the sedarim. He will advise you. As for a recipe, this is my tried & trusted one: pour heavy red wine in the bottom of a pan, fry lots of onions & mix with apricot jam to form a paste. Shmear on the roast & carefully pour more red wine over it so you don't dislodge the mixture.

For the non-processed people Rolling Eyes like me, at Pesach I use peeled fresh plums that I turn into compote using a small amount of wine.

Oh, I nearly forgot, I lightly salt the roast before I shmear. Halfway through I turn it & dump as much of the mix as I can back on the top. I make it the day before & let it cool thoroughly in the fridge before I slice it. I use the shmear & liquid as sauce. It is unbelievably good, but I always use a good piece of meat like French or Silver Tip.

Hope it turns out as good as mine Wink

bubby

Post Sun, Mar 22 2009, 5:27 pm
How do you make almond fried chicken? It sounds great!

Raisin

Post Sun, Mar 22 2009, 5:57 pm
my rav told me that as long as there is liquid it is not considered roast. so I make chicken baked in the oven with a mixture of wine, fruit juice and water poured over, or I make pot roast.

you can get a cheaper cut like chuck or minute and cook in a pot or in the oven in wine. You don't need an expensive cut if you are anyway going to have to cook it in liquid. this is how I make mine. 1. fry a bunch of onion and garlic. 2. brown the meat all over. 3. add red wine, some tomato sauce, seasoning and leave it to cook for a few hours. turn over half way through.

do this the day before you need it, let it cool, slice up, put it back in the pot and then it will reheat quickly when you want to serve it.

louche

Post Sun, Mar 22 2009, 6:02 pm
I make goulash: beef cubes, potatoes, onions and carrots cut into chunks, tomato sauce, garlic, some lemon juice, a drop of sugar, paprika, bay leaf if I can get it, water. bring to boil, lower flame, simmer long time till beef is tender. cook the beef about 45 min before adding carrots and potatoes.

Tila

Post Sun, Mar 22 2009, 6:03 pm
cook a brisket. It is not roasting it. It is yummy and easy to do.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics