Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Too early to take newborn shopping?
1  2  Next

amother

Post Wed, Feb 22 2006, 2:40 pm
I am a new mother with a 5 week old baby. and I wanted to know when is a good time to start taking him out shopping with me. Is it still to early????

shalhevet

Post Wed, Feb 22 2006, 2:56 pm
deleted

Last edited by shalhevet on Mon, Feb 20 2017, 6:23 am; edited 2 times in total

chen

Post Wed, Feb 22 2006, 3:04 pm
as long as the weather is nice, why not?

shoy18

Post Wed, Feb 22 2006, 3:40 pm
I took my baby out every single day, in the begining I got a few stares, and questioning looks to the affect of, he is sooo tiny how can you take him out. I just couldnt stay inside all day. Also I was told its good for them to get some fresh air every day, helps them sleep

ButterflyGarden

Post Wed, Feb 22 2006, 3:48 pm
BS"D
I got home from the hospital when my baby was 3 days old, and guess what? There was no food in the house. Husband, Baby and I all hopped in the car and off we went to the store. We went out everyday after that.

HOWEVER-- I did cover the stroller so that strangers didn't touch her.

Bebe

Post Wed, Feb 22 2006, 4:48 pm
I have a 3 week old baby and take her out with me already. We have been taking her out since she was 2 weeks old. I just cant stay inside all day. Everyone tells us were nuts but my husband says just cuz we have a baby means we have to stay home all day?? Were not the type to sit at home all day so why should a baby stop us? We wrap her up real good and shes fine! And besides she falls asleep in a second when we bundle her up and take her out for a drive. Its great!

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Feb 22 2006, 5:13 pm
Ask your dr but why not?

Mama Bear

Post Wed, Feb 22 2006, 5:42 pm
it's definitely fine. Most people start going out at 3 weeks or so, but 5 weeks is perfect. however yo umight get tired and dizzy fast so dont stay out too long.

MommyLuv

Post Wed, Feb 22 2006, 6:54 pm
I took my baby out to the grocery at 3 weeks old cuz I was going out of my mind with cabin fever and recovering from my c-section. The old ladies there all thought I was doing something terrible when I told them my babys age! I guess women were more coddled back then, huh?

That first trip out of the house is quite an experience, at least the first time around!

Mama Bear

Post Wed, Feb 22 2006, 6:58 pm
aaahhhh yes. This is my first time EVER pushing a baby carriage, after 9 years of davening and hoping. The first 3 months I felt like I was walking on air, all eyes were on me, EVERYONE had to take a peek. NOw it's calmed down a little bit but people STILL have to take a peek and exclaim how cute he is. hehe. But the first few weeks out, you feel like you're floating on cloud 9!!! except when the baby is screeching his/her head off...[/code]

raizy

Post Wed, Feb 22 2006, 7:18 pm
my policy is dress the baby up and go out. he is the easyest customer to take shopping . the older kids are the harder ones.

lucky

Post Thu, Feb 23 2006, 11:16 am
My mom was always upset if I went out before 6 weeks(even without the baby) She always claimed that you need to rest for 6 weeks. But after my last two kids I told my mom, that if I can run up and down the stairs to take the kids to the bus, I am cooking and washing laundry. I can also go out shopping. I hated being cooped in.

Don't overdress your baby when you take them out. My pediatrician always says"Dress your baby in one more layer than you are wearing."

amother

Post Thu, Feb 23 2006, 11:41 am
also, dont forget that after giving birth the first place u go when u go out is suppose to be to a shul and u are suppose to hear yehei shmei raba... I think thats what ure supposet o hear? but either way its something that u answer amen to.

willow

Post Thu, Feb 23 2006, 11:43 am
From the day I came home I took her out. the fresh air calms her ( and me Very Happy ) I think that if your dr. says its ok and you feel comfortable then its healthy and fine.

hardwrknmom

Post Thu, Feb 23 2006, 11:47 am
There's absolutely nothing wrong with taking a baby outside. As long as the baby is well covered, warm & fed.. for your sake Smile

shayna82

Post Thu, Feb 23 2006, 11:55 am
I took my oldest son out when he was two weeks old to buy baby items, I loved it, nothing like taking your first baby out. with my second we took him out when he was like three days old to pick out what food we wanted for bris/shalom zachor... now that was another story, since baby #1 was feeling a little replaced and let it out in the candy isle.

chen

Post Thu, Feb 23 2006, 12:28 pm
MommyLuv wrote:
I took my baby out to the grocery at 3 weeks old cuz I was going out of my mind with cabin fever and recovering from my c-section. The old ladies there all thought I was doing something terrible when I told them my babys age! I guess women were more coddled back then, huh?

if they're really old, like in their 70's and 80's, they used to stay in hosp. for close to 2 weeks, so taking a baby out earlier was impossible anyway.I wouldn't call it coddling, though--prenatal and postnatal care wasn't a patch on what it is today, antibiotics were few and far between, surgery was much more drastic, there was no such thing as epidural, diapers had to be boiled in a cauldron on top of the stove, baby bottles ditto, no disposable anything, nursing was out of style and formula had to be prepared by hand...shall I go on?

Oh, yes, I forgot--nearly all those vaccines that your babies get for now-legendary diseases like polio, diphtheria, whooping cough, measles, mumps, rubella, etc. didn't exist. These "childhood diseases" were dreaded with good reason. You'd have kept your baby indoors then, too.

ChavieK

Post Thu, Feb 23 2006, 12:59 pm
I took all my babies out right away. However, with my boys I was always more careful before the bris & for a few days after. It is surgury.One of mine was born chol hamoed succos.I went to shul on Shmini Atzeres.The baby didn't go in.He stayed in the stroller outside,it was a beautiful day.My husband stayed with him-noone touching him.

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Feb 23 2006, 1:34 pm
woe chavi --THAT is overdoing it!!! werent you exhausted and weak??? Why was it so important to go to shul??

cl

Post Tue, Feb 28 2006, 9:21 am
my first outing was when my baby was 1 week old. My mother in law was with me and offered to push the stroller but I didnt let - I was so excited to be pushing my great-looking brand-new stroller and to show off my tiny baby!
B4 I went back to work (part-time) I was at home all day and I wud go nuts so I liked going to the nearest indoor mall so there was no problem with bad weather (he was born in winter) and they had a couple of stores with mother n baby rooms so half way thru the trip we cud stop for nursing n changing.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics