Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Pesach Recipes
What fills you up for breakfast?
1  2  Next

SYV

Post Mon, Apr 06 2009, 5:18 am
During the year, my husband, toddler and I all have either porridge or weetabix for breakfast each morning. Any ideas for filling Pesach breakfasts? After a few days of matza and cheese, my toddler is constantly hungry (and pretty constipated too). I made some scrambled eggs yesterday, but likewise, that didn't really fill him up and keep him filled up. He (and we) normally have 35g porridge with 175ml of whole milk and maybe a piece of fruit too. All ideas gratefully received. (if it helps, we eat pretty much everything except for kitniyios).
Many thanks in advance,
SYV

fiddle

Post Mon, Apr 06 2009, 5:21 am
a bowl of fruit, as opposed to a fruit. a fruit salad is most filling. apples oranges and pears. pears and grapes.. be creative. or instead of that melon by itself is very filling, but it should not be eaten with anything else.

Seraph

Post Mon, Apr 06 2009, 5:33 am
You can make porridge from matza meal, sugar, milk/water and cinamon. If constipation is a problem, try adding prunes to it.

Matza brie is a favorite here- get matza very wet then squeeze out the water, break it up into little peices, add one egg for every 3-4 peices of machine matza, some salt... fry it. Try not to mix it too much, because you want it to get crispy and not mushy.

Raisin

Post Mon, Apr 06 2009, 5:39 am
my kids love bananas and milk for breakfast. you can add peices of matza to that as well.

you can also get klp breakfast cereals.

make some muffins.

make smoothies (more fun then plain fruit)

Seraph

Post Mon, Apr 06 2009, 5:44 am
Oh, I forgot to mention--- break up matza, put on chocolate syrup, pour on milk. Yum yum.

SYV

Post Mon, Apr 06 2009, 6:20 am
Raisin, I like the idea of muffins, can you give me a recipe?

Klp cereal, I just can't get my head around. Matza brei is definitely a favourite, but haven't gotten round to making it yet.

Need to stock up on more yoghurts, we've already eaten all the ones we bought for Pesach!!

Thanks for all the ideas, keep 'em comin' please!

Raisin

Post Mon, Apr 06 2009, 6:39 am
all my muffin recipes are non gebrokts, so just nuts sugar eggs and maybe potato starch. I saw manichwitz blueberry muffin mix in the shop yesterday though.

mummy-bh

Post Mon, Apr 06 2009, 8:18 am
we have any combination of, banana, milk, cake and apple compote. if everyone has a bit of everything, they're good to go for a few hours!

Twoisacharm

Post Mon, Apr 06 2009, 1:42 pm
mmm reminds me of wen I was small and starved on pesach LOL take very ripe banana mash it on the bottom of the bowl then add matzoh meal and hot water - instant replica of porridge!!!! u can add cinnamon or sugar if u want...

AlwaysGrateful

Post Mon, Apr 06 2009, 2:03 pm
Break matza into small pieces, add sugar and milk. Yum...Used to have that all the time as a kid.

SYV

Post Mon, Apr 06 2009, 2:29 pm
twoisacharm:that should go down really well, thanks! Banana is my son's favourite food (he has even learnt how to request it politely "NANA! NANA! *with more emphasis* NAAANAAAAAAA!") I think imitation banana flavoured porridge may be a hit. It also looks very easy and quick (like porridge) and without need for lots of pots. I'll let you know tomorrow what I've done and how long it kept him full for.

devy88

Post Mon, Apr 06 2009, 2:34 pm
how about cottage cheese? I personally don't go for it but that's what most of my family eats. either with matza or for the little kids-you can eat with lady fingers crushed into it.

or leben with a fruit

BeershevaBubby

Post Mon, Apr 06 2009, 2:35 pm
What about fruit smoothies made with milk and yogurt?

Tamiri

Post Mon, Apr 06 2009, 2:37 pm
Israeli breakfast: salad, olives, cheese (feta, soft white), eggs, fruit, coffee. Good year round. I wish I had someone to make it for me every day.

OOTBubby

Post Mon, Apr 06 2009, 4:07 pm
devy88 wrote:
how about cottage cheese? I personally don't go for it but that's what most of my family eats. either with matza or for the little kids-you can eat with lady fingers crushed into it.

When my kids were little they ate a lot of cottage cheese mixed with appleasauce.

sky

Post Mon, Apr 06 2009, 6:17 pm
Fruit and sour cream.

jem

Post Mon, Apr 06 2009, 6:42 pm
we make pancakes
egg
milk
potato flour
a little sugar
a pinch of
salt
vanilla essence
beat egg and milk together ,add sugar salt ,vanilla essence,beat.Add potato flour beat till smooth.
heat up frying pan with oil or butter,and do your pancake.
when ready spread jam over it.could add cottage cheese as well.
roll it and enjoy !
very filling

trafficgal

Post Mon, Apr 06 2009, 6:51 pm
Banana's Strawberrys mixed with cottage cheese and sour cream YUMMY!!!

#1cook

Post Mon, Apr 06 2009, 7:36 pm
matza with cream cheese topped with the left over endives from the seder all my kids (except my son who is allergic to milk) loves this

cheese and onion omlets

bananas with sour cream and a sprinkle of sugar

egg blintzas filled with cottage cheese and a drop of honey

Twoisacharm

Post Tue, Apr 07 2009, 10:27 am
SYV wrote:
twoisacharm:that should go down really well, thanks! Banana is my son's favourite food (he has even learnt how to request it politely "NANA! NANA! *with more emphasis* NAAANAAAAAAA!") I think imitation banana flavoured porridge may be a hit. It also looks very easy and quick (like porridge) and without need for lots of pots. I'll let you know tomorrow what I've done and how long it kept him full for.

awesome!!!! I love the idea that its a NO pot required dish - it didnt even occur to me until now!

(omg im so tired I keep on reading Dish like Fish thinking something doesnt look quite right....... embarrassed
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics