Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Five Towns- Sutton Park

amother

Post Mon, Apr 06 2009, 4:47 pm
does anyone know anything about this neighborhood? We looked at two houses there yesterday, both were absolutely beautiful and well within our price range, but in all honesty, I dont want to just like take the real estate agents word for it ("its nothing like lawrence," "youll love it, its so young and with it," etc)-
does anyone on here live there? or have good friends or relatives who live there? We might want to go for a shabbos before we made an actual offer on a house, but also, before we even seroiusly think about it, we would like to know if this neighborhood is even for us.
I do want something like Cedarhurst or Flatbush. Something New Yorkish like that, not too Yeshivish or Chassidish (= Lakewood or Boro Park in my mind), and not too YU-ish/Modern Orthodox either (= Teaneck, Riverdale etc).
Anyone??
Thanx in advance.

amother

Post Mon, Apr 06 2009, 4:52 pm
Where is it in relation to cedarhurst and lawrence?

bubby

Post Mon, Apr 06 2009, 5:07 pm
Oh, it's gorgeous!! If you can afford it, buy there! I would approach one family who lives there, very special, & ask them about the neighborhood. PM me if you want & I'll give you their name. Do you know the general area (Lawrence, Cedarhurst, Woodmere etc)?

amother

Post Mon, Apr 06 2009, 6:59 pm
I'm confused- I'm thinking of two places, one is in Lawrence (you go in on Central) and the other is in Cedarhurst... I can't remember which is Sutton Park... but if it's 'gorgeous', then it's the Lawrence one, I think- and I have no idea why anyone would say it's not like Lawrence...

bubby

Post Mon, Apr 06 2009, 7:22 pm
AFAIK (& now I'm getting confused myself!) Sutton Park is the private estate on Broadway close to the junction with the 878. If I'm wrong I am so embarrassed

amother

Post Mon, Apr 06 2009, 8:50 pm
bubby, that's what I was thinking of too- but I got the avenue wrong, it's broadway, not central- totally gorgeus, I agree. but in what way is it not like lawrence??

bubby

Post Mon, Apr 06 2009, 9:23 pm
Sorry, I don't know what that means. Please explain.

anon

Post Mon, Apr 06 2009, 9:31 pm
bubby wrote:
AFAIK (& now I'm getting confused myself!) Sutton Park is the private estate on Broadway close to the junction with the 878. If I'm wrong I am so embarrassed

That's what I was thinking.

I would imagine it's like Lawrence in general, which is a mix of very frum to very modern. To get an idea, people in Lawrence send their children to all the different schools in Far Rockaway and the 5 towns...so you've got TAG and Darchei families on one spectrum, HAFTR on the other side of spectrum, and then HALB/Rambam somewhere in between. I think it's best to spend a shabbas there so that you can get an idea for yourself, and so that you can see who your neighbors are. And yes, good idea not to just rely on the agent's word, lol.

I'm also confused what it means that Sutton Park is not like Lawrence Question

amother

Post Tue, Apr 07 2009, 9:28 am
Wouldn't it technically, geographically, be considered Lawrence anyway????

If it's the area I'm thinking of I don't know what the difference would be.

amother

Post Tue, Apr 07 2009, 1:03 pm
ive lived in far rockaway all my life. sutton park is in lawrence and is very much lawrence, whatever that means to you. from what I can tell (and I could be wrong), lawrence is not really where the young couples are moving (they are mostly going to woodmere, cedarhurst, north woodmere, and far rockaway). sutton park is filled with older families. that is, unless something changed since I last checked. definitely speak to families who live there and do research.

amother

Post Tue, Apr 07 2009, 1:07 pm
Yea. So I am beginning to get the impression - both from this board, and from a friend of my sis who lives in Cedarhurst, that it is 100% Lawrence, and plus, is too old for us. Of course the agent wants to sell the house!! The house we were looking at was an old woman who had lived there her whole life and moved into a nursing home Confused . I thought she was an anomaly. But the average age on that block is like 50ish. This house cost less than the rest because its old and dilapidated, and is smaller than avg for that block. Whatever. I told the agent no on that one, we would rather stick to Cedarhurst which is younger and from what we have seen, a little frummer.

Thanks for all your help everyone.

anon

Post Tue, Apr 07 2009, 2:58 pm
amother wrote:
ive lived in far rockaway all my life. sutton park is in lawrence and is very much lawrence, whatever that means to you. from what I can tell (and I could be wrong), lawrence is not really where the young couples are moving (they are mostly going to woodmere, cedarhurst, north woodmere, and far rockaway). sutton park is filled with older families. that is, unless something changed since I last checked. definitely speak to families who live there and do research.

This is exactly what I was thinking, but didn't know for sure (I'm also from the area).

amother

Post Tue, Apr 07 2009, 5:40 pm
amother wrote:

Yeah-- I know the area because I have a lot of friends who grew up there, and their parents all still live there. (I'm in my upper 20s) Smart move, OP. Goodluck finding something.

ChossidMom

Post Fri, Apr 10 2009, 8:14 am
As a 9 year old kid I used to bike ride over there. As I recall it was a pretty upscale (fancy shmancy) area. Nice duck pond and real quiet.

Gsanmb

Post Tue, Apr 21 2009, 8:42 pm
Cedarhurst has some terrific areas. Be a little cautious; there are some streets that flood in the rain and basements get very wet.

Yakira

Post Tue, Apr 21 2009, 9:07 pm
I'd also recommend Cedarhurst because of the fact that there are mainly older families in Sutton Park. Very nice people but definitely 'Lawrence type'. The way it works (for the most part) is the further away from the 878 you go, the less 'Five Townsish' it is. So Lawrence houses are huge and the families are wealthy, etc, then Cedarhurst is somewhat less, Woodmere (besides for some areas), still less and Hewlett is barely even considered part of the Five Towns.

ValleyMom

Post Tue, Apr 21 2009, 9:22 pm
I must be the OLDEST person ont he board because my baby sister lives in Lawrence and then I realize yeah she is over 40--I wil tell her to start picking out nursing home with adjoining rooms for us!!

bubby

Post Tue, Apr 21 2009, 11:21 pm
Valleymom, you're nobbut a bairn (Tyke for you're a baby!)

LOL LOL LOL
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating