Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Pesach Recipes
Are there any Nitra women on imamother?

Mimisinger

Post Mon, Apr 06 2009, 5:57 pm
If so, thanks! I have two of your cookbooks - every so often I find one randomly in the supermarket or papergoods store to buy. I have the Heimishe kitchen (simcha version) - which is so funny, because I have never started a recipe with 40 pounds of anything Smile Dh has been begging for the swans since I bought it. And the Pesach version. I love reading cookbooks and it's great because I learn all about foods that I've never heard about before...

Fabulous

Post Mon, Apr 06 2009, 5:58 pm
Before I got married and expanded my collection of cookbooks a bit, my parents only had the nitra cookbooks and the pesach one. when I got married, I of course bought them, but a few others as well.

sky

Post Mon, Apr 06 2009, 6:14 pm
I love the heimesh simcha cookbook. I never made any of their 40+ servings. but I have made a lot of recipes from the back and they are some of my favourites.

Zahava

Post Mon, Apr 06 2009, 6:59 pm
Mimisinger wrote:
I have the Heimishe kitchen (simcha version) - which is so funny, because I have never started a recipe with 40 pounds of anything Smile Dh has been begging for the swans since I bought it. And the Pesach version. I love reading cookbooks and it's great because I learn all about foods that I've never heard about before...

Many of their recipes are listed twice- with smaller and larger quantities. You can check the index.

BTW, I love that cookbbook! It's my favorite for scrumptious meals that aren't too sophisticated to prepare. And their cakes are never-fail recipes.

OhWow!

Post Tue, Apr 07 2009, 3:49 pm
I doubt you'll find any Nitra women here. They are very religious and probably don't own computers, let alone internet! Besides, thery are probably busy in the kitchen now!!!!

They're cookbooks happen to be fantastic! I have all of them.

Mitzvahmom

Post Tue, Apr 07 2009, 8:51 pm
where do u find the cookbooks?

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Apr 07 2009, 8:59 pm
OhWow! wrote:
I doubt you'll find any Nitra women here. They are very religious and probably don't own computers, let alone internet! Besides, thery are probably busy in the kitchen now!!!!

They're cookbooks happen to be fantastic! I have all of them.

I'm also religious. what does tha t mean ?

OhWow!

Post Tue, Apr 07 2009, 11:02 pm
Ok, I meant ultra.

greenfire

Post Wed, Apr 08 2009, 12:52 am
what's a nitra woman What

ValleyMom

Post Fri, Apr 17 2009, 8:20 am
Nitra Woman sounds almost like a comic book heroe?!!
What does it mean?

How does one buy a cookbook?
Doe the recipes give you super powers?

shvigs

Post Fri, Apr 17 2009, 8:31 am
Nitra is a chasidic/oberlanderish sect (before you ask- Oberland is a particular area near Germany, I believe, where some Jews had quasi chassidish minhagim). They put out a fantastic cookbook called the "Heimishe Kitchen" many years ago which was updated and reissued twice more times in the past few years. The recipes are, as the title implies, more to the heimishe side- stuff a really good Bubby cook would make Wink , as opposed to avante garde gourmet.

shvigs

Post Fri, Apr 17 2009, 8:32 am
You can get the cookbook at most East Coast Judaica stores- it's practically a staple in most Heimsihe homes Smile . You can try Eichlers.com, if you can't get to the Judaica store.

Mama Bear

Post Fri, Apr 17 2009, 9:43 am
its an amazing cookbook cuz it has teh real heimishe, hungarian food we chasidim are so famous for Very Happy

greenfire

Post Fri, Apr 17 2009, 10:10 am
ValleyMom wrote:
Nitra Woman sounds almost like a comic book heroe?!!
What does it mean?

How does one buy a cookbook?
Doe the recipes give you super powers?

and I'm thinking crash bandicoot ... watch out for the nitra Bomb

and would that mean the cooking is really awful or really good ... da bomb Cherry

mama-star

Post Fri, May 15 2009, 12:16 am
I don't think that cookbook is so great. What

louche

Post Fri, May 15 2009, 1:20 am
mama-star wrote:
I don't think that cookbook is so great. What

probably b/c you're not Heimish and not into that kind of cooking. I also was not impressed, but then I'm rarely impressed by organizational fundraising cookbooks. The recipes are usually the sort of thing friends copy from each other, not professionally written, and so they tend to be very inexact. Sometimes they don't even make sense! What does "1/2 container whip" mean? A "real" recipe would read "4 ounces frozen nondairy whipped topping mix, thawed".

Maybe later editions are better; I had the first edition but eventually gave it away.

PS--we are talking about the same cookbook, aren't we? By a group in Mt. Kisco? Brown "comb" binding, soft orange cover?

PPS--Not to take anything away from Nitra women--if their book is still selling after all this time, then they must be doing something right for their market. You and I, mama-star, just don't happen to be it.

Mama Bear

Post Fri, May 15 2009, 7:20 am
its for people who are into hungarian cooking. I find the other kinds of cookbooks - Kosher by design etc - totally not my kind of food, or food combos.

ss321

Post Fri, May 15 2009, 7:26 am
Mama Bear wrote:
its for people who are into hungarian cooking. I find the other kinds of cookbooks - Kosher by design etc - totally not my kind of food, or food combos.
'

me too! I have all the susie fishbein ones and Im like - wat is the big deal. I can come up with all those recipes on my own, and I rarely make any of them, and if I do, my DH tells me "this [chicken/meat/etc] tastes just like last night.
the only things I make from those are milchig things and desserts. I get ideas from the pictures also.

the heimishe cookbook is my favorite cookbook of all times. some of the amts are insane lol. all my pages are torn and dirty, its my only real "used" cookbook, you can tell its been thru alot.

sarahd

Post Sun, May 17 2009, 3:29 pm
shvigs wrote:
Nitra is a chasidic/oberlanderish sect (before you ask- Oberland is a particular area near Germany, I believe, where some Jews had quasi chassidish minhagim).

Allow me to ascend my soapbox. Although I know no one gives a hoot about this, I must have the record straight. Nitra is supposed to be an Oberlander kehilla, not chassidish, although most members of the kehilla have turned chassidish. Oberlander minhag is not chassidish; it's minhag Chasam Sofer. In practice, it's a lot of yekkish stuff plus - believe it or not - some sephardic practices.

Also, Oberland was an area stretching from the Austrian border near Hungary, through the western part of Hungary, including Slovakia and parts of Yugoslavia. Nitra itself is located in Slovakia.

End of lecture.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics