Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Plane travel with a toddler!

maidale

Post Mon, Apr 27 2009, 3:54 pm
I'm traveling with my 13 month old on a 8-9 hour flight next week, and desperately need some ideas to keep him entertained.
I'm no stranger to long travels with children, but I find this the most difficult age ever. He has no interest in sitting in one place, can't entertain him with books, toys don't hold his interest for very long, and I can't communicate with him!
I'll bring along plenty of snacks and drinks, but what can you suggest to keep him busy? What keep your 13 month old busy?
He can't color yet, maybe some toy cars?
Please give me some suggestions, I can't come up with anything!

amother

Post Mon, Apr 27 2009, 7:08 pm
Will he watch videos? Maybe a portable dvd player? There's really not much you can do to keep him entertained for a long while at this stage, he is still so young...I feel for you! Gluck!

muss

Post Mon, Apr 27 2009, 8:00 pm
I traveled with my baby - about 14 months overseas. It was a very long trip and I did it myself. It was a lot better then I expected. I brought along lots of food - real food - chicken and meat in small containers and some nosh. I also brought a lap-top and some jewish dvd's which she enjoyed keeping entertained with. We walked up and down the isles and she took naps. We somehow managed. There were also other kids around, so she enjoyed looking at them and babbling to them.

mamacita

Post Tue, Apr 28 2009, 1:44 am
I bought a thousand stickers (really!) and some 10-20 cheapy, cheapy dollar store little toys. My toddlers had a great time playing. B"H.

maidale

Post Tue, Apr 28 2009, 2:26 am
I'm doing it myself as well. Last year I traveled by myself with 3 children, but he was only 2 months old, and the older ones were 3 and 5. it was very good, as those ages are really not difficult to keep busy. My flight has those personal screens on each place, so I'm really hoping I can distract him for a little bit by putting on cartoons, plus I guess lots of food. It's a day flight too, but I'm hoping he'll get a nice long nap. Y'know how it goes. they usually end up falling asleep an hour before landing...
I'm not nervous or scared, I'm just looking for some creative ideas out there to keep him busy. I guess wandering the aisles is part of "keeping busy"... Wink
He's a good kid though, so I'm not overly worried. He'll probably be busy charming the passengers around him. Wink

RachelEve14

Post Tue, Apr 28 2009, 2:39 am
Avraham Tzvi is 14 months.

The thing that keeps him the entertained best is....

plastic cups. Even just disposable cups. He can spend an hour putting htem in, taking htem out, squishing them, etc.

Other small things... little cars, he does like cloth books, little figures.

When all else fails, ask the attendent for a cup of water with ice & a straw. I did that with Rivka and it kept her amused for a good 30 minuts or so. Oh, and plastic untesnils. Give the kid a plastic spoon he's happy for life.

Good luck, I think you should have put this in the mental health section. Traveling with young toddlers is no fun at all.

maidale

Post Tue, Apr 28 2009, 2:45 am
RachelEve14 wrote:

Good luck, I think you should have put this in the mental health section. Traveling with young toddlers is no fun at all.

LOL LOL

I know it's not fun, and it's definitely not one of my favorite activities. But t'is the price a gotta pay for living so far from my family.
The reward is worth the effort though! and you're right, maybe it does belong in the mental health section, I guess my mindset either makes it or breaks it.

Thanks for your suggestions. the plastics idea is a good one. I'm always looking for toys that don't have to many extra pieces to get lost.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics