Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Strollers
Bugaboo cant decide
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

DefyGravity

Post Thu, Apr 30 2009, 11:57 am
Don't worry, lack of details was the other reason I thought it was fake Smile

shoy18

Post Thu, Apr 30 2009, 1:26 pm
ss321 wrote:
cassandra wrote:
bbmom wrote:

2. Do you have the money?

For those who don't think it's a status symbol: QED.

(Would you ask someone who posted about looking to purchase a new refrigerator or car whether or not they had the money? And this is hundreds of dollars, not thousands.)

OH LOL clarissa. ROFL actually.

Isnt the newest status symbol the STOKKE though? Bugaboo is sooo 2008.

I think this thread might be a prank though,n ot sure.

NOO the stokke is totally out its the orbit these days. good thing bec the stokke just makes me want to run for fear the poor thing sitting in it will puke from the nausa of all the shaking on that stupid poll

bbmom

Post Thu, Apr 30 2009, 1:53 pm
cassandra wrote:
bbmom wrote:

(Would you ask someone who posted about looking to purchase a new refrigerator or car whether or not they had the money? And this is hundreds of dollars, not thousands.)

Sorry.

anon

Post Thu, Apr 30 2009, 2:52 pm
cassandra wrote:
bbmom wrote:

Cassandra, you have a blinding agenda. People ask "Do you have the money?" whenever there is some sort of luxury or splurge in question. People will easily admit the bugaboo is a luxury or splurge, as opposed to a bare necessity. Though I don't see where you draw the conclusion that all splurges are the result of desire for status.

cassandra

Post Thu, Apr 30 2009, 2:56 pm
Because in reality it's not THAT much money, it's just a lot of money for a stroller. So the implication of the question is-- if you have the money then you should buy it, if you don't have the money you shouldn't. Lots of people can afford a bugaboo but don't buy them. It's also bizarre to assume that someone would consider buying something if they didn't have the money-- like I said, people post all kinds of requests for information on purchasing far mar expensive things and nobody ever asks if they can afford it. And the question wasn't "Is it worth going into debt to buy a bugaboo?" nor, from the majority opinion I've gleaned from countless threads on this site, is it anyone's business.

cassandra

Post Thu, Apr 30 2009, 2:57 pm
And what's my agenda exactly other than entertaining myself?

RedRuby

Post Thu, Apr 30 2009, 2:57 pm
Oh, boy, here we go again!

It does seem like a prank.

I remember when I first joined Imamother and I naively wondered,

"Why is there an ENTIRE SECTION IN THE INDEX FOR STROLLERS?"

Now I know that a stroller is so much more than a stroller.

I'm happily pushing my 4th kid in a hand-me-down Graco that I just wiped a layer of pollen off of.

I just don't know what I'm missing. Very Happy

cassandra

Post Thu, Apr 30 2009, 3:00 pm
Well, I thought we could keep this light-hearted but apparently some think that I am some kind of bugaboo vigilante and will not rest until all of the bugaboos in the world are destroyed. I really don't care, I just think it's funny that some people take their strollers so seriously.

Raisin

Post Thu, Apr 30 2009, 3:04 pm
cassandra, I am quite sure if someone posted a thread asking if she should buy a ferrari or another similarly priced car someone would kindly point out the error of her ways.

id you read the tennis bracelet thread?

RedRuby

Post Thu, Apr 30 2009, 3:10 pm
cassandra wrote:
Well, I thought we could keep this light-hearted but apparently some think that I am some kind of bugaboo vigilante and will not rest until all of the bugaboos in the world are destroyed. I really don't care, I just think it's funny that some people take their strollers so seriously.

I'm with you!

I told my husband that if by some remote long shot, someone gave me a Bugaboo as a gift, I would not use it. It has become such a symbol of excess to me.

It's such a Statement. Why would I want my stroller to mean that much?

If you've got one - enjoy - I don't begin to understand, but to each her own.

(oops... does this make me a vigilate too? do we need to start a new section called "Anti Bugabbo"...
You have to get permission to join. And no bashing will be tolerated. I want it to be a safe haven.)

cassandra

Post Thu, Apr 30 2009, 3:15 pm
Raisin wrote:
cassandra, I am quite sure if someone posted a thread asking if she should buy a ferrari or another similarly priced car someone would kindly point out the error of her ways.

id you read the tennis bracelet thread?

I know, but that didn't even happen here. I was just pointing out that asking if someone can afford it as THE major factor in whether or not they should purchase it says a lot about the item.

And yes, anon, "luxury" item implies that you purchase it not for functionality but for reasons of status or excess comfort. So in your rant against me you kind of proved my point once again.

But whatever, if people are going to be angry it isn't fun for me anymore.

anon

Post Thu, Apr 30 2009, 9:31 pm
cassandra wrote:
Because in reality it's not THAT much money, it's just a lot of money for a stroller. So the implication of the question is-- if you have the money then you should buy it, if you don't have the money you shouldn't.

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying here. Are you trying to explain why someone asking "can you afford it" shows that this is an issue of status? If so, I don't really understand your explanation.

anon

Post Thu, Apr 30 2009, 9:36 pm
cassandra wrote:
And what's my agenda exactly other than entertaining myself?

YOu think the bugaboo is an example of gashmius today, where ppl like to spend money on things that serve no purpose, other than to elevate their status. You scoff at the idea that anyone might choose to buy a bugaboo for it's luxurious FUNCTIONALITY....since if they were truly honest with themselves, they would admit that they really want the bugaboo for the status (with functionality reasoning simply being excuses).

So I guess you could say that your agenda is that you are "against" the bugaboo (in friendly spirit, of course). You're not losing sleep over it, but you take every opportunity to prove your opinion, even if the opportunity doesn't make sense (as in your reasoning above, with the "can you afford it question").

cassandra

Post Thu, Apr 30 2009, 9:41 pm
huh?

anon

Post Thu, Apr 30 2009, 9:44 pm
cassandra wrote:
And yes, anon, "luxury" item implies that you purchase it not for functionality but for reasons of status or excess comfort. So in your rant against me you kind of proved my point once again.

We have different definitions of luxury. To me, luxury implies functionality AND/OR comfort (excess? that's relative) AND/OR status.

I consider electronic "toys" that the men around me love to be luxuries with a functionality.

I consider a nice vacation or a tempur-pedic mattress to be a luxury of comfort.

I consider a Louis Vitton bag or Chanel sunglasses to be a luxury of status.

Quote:
But whatever, if people are going to be angry it isn't fun for me anymore.

Are you talking about me? I'm not angry in the least. Very little gets me angry on Imamother, and a conversation about bugaboos is certainly not the exception. I consider this friendly banter at best, and a time-waster at worst, lol.

chaylizi

Post Thu, Apr 30 2009, 9:50 pm
I love strollers and have a whole collection. but I won't buy a bugaboo. so many other fun ones to get that no one will point at me for owning.

anon

Post Thu, Apr 30 2009, 9:53 pm
cassandra wrote:
huh?

RedRuby summed it up nicely. She wouldn't use a bugaboo, even if one fell into her lap for free. She wouldn't take a moment to try it out to see if she likes it, since she is so closed off to the idea that it's not just about excess. That means she has an agenda. I think you would have the same reaction to a free bugaboo, would you not?

cassandra

Post Thu, Apr 30 2009, 10:00 pm
I might take a free one, might not. Haven't thought too much about it and no one has ever offered. Although, I have gotten most of my strollers for free and never requested a bugaboo, but I'm not sure that answers your question.

I don't really care so much, I don't think too much about it. I just think the obsession is funny, along with the fact that people don't acknowledge that it is a status symbol, because despite its functionality it is. Women don't gush as much over their washing machines.

chaylizi

Post Thu, Apr 30 2009, 10:07 pm
thats cuz their washing machines don't go out walking or on errands wtith them. too bulky &the fold is terrible.

amother

Post Thu, Apr 30 2009, 10:20 pm
I am the original poster, this is not a prank this is for real. Money is not the issue I am not saying its cheap but we can pay for it B"h.

I just cant decide , . I guess if so many people have it, it must be good. Evryone I spoke to that has it says they love it, and I should get it. But dont know if I should do it , or get something else .
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics