Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Water with Amonia verses Windex

Martini

Post Sun, May 03 2009, 8:21 pm
I found myself out of Windex so I refilled the spray bottle with water and a little Ammonia. It worked pretty well. I know Ammonia is very unhealthy, but Windex has ammonia in it as well. Is this more dangerous than Windex?

louche

Post Sun, May 03 2009, 8:29 pm
Diluted ammonia is no worse than windex if you make it as dilute as windex. go online and google "MSDS Windex" and see if it tells you what % ammonia is in there. Then calculate what dilution you need to make to be as weak as windex.

or make life easy and use vinegar-and-water. half-and-half or even more dilute, as you like. no harmful effects if you don't mind the smell.

Martini

Post Sun, May 03 2009, 8:52 pm
Honestly, I really put in alot of Amonnia. I wanted to make sure it's gonna work!! But when I use it, I'm worried cuz the smell is really strong!

mo5

Post Sun, May 03 2009, 10:53 pm
vinegar is just as effective, cheaper and healthier and the smell doesn't linger.

greenfire

Post Sun, May 03 2009, 11:31 pm
ammonia should only be used in a well ventilated area ... and can be a skin and lung irritant ... use gloves too ...

cm

Post Mon, May 04 2009, 6:59 am
I make my own glass cleaner with ammonia, water, rubbing alcohol and a tiny drop of dishwashing liquid. Works great! I don't remember the proportions offhand, but homemade cleaning recipes are easily found online.

louche

Post Mon, May 04 2009, 11:22 am
Honestly, there's no reason to use strong ammonia on glass. Most of the dirt will come off with water unless you're talking about greasy glass cookware. A little vinegar adds a bit of sparkle and that's all you need. Don't kill a fly with a grenade.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry