Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
I am really starting to hate my son!
1  2  Next

amother

Post Thu, May 07 2009, 2:18 pm
I feel like a terrible mother, but how long can things go on like this? He doesn't nap he stopped because we took away the pacifier (which he's done great with) but doesn't nap. He was so tired coming home from school he fell asleep in the car, he was tired going to his room and he's been horrible since then. He screams, hits me constantly and destroys his room. I just cannot stand being hit! It makes m want to hit back, which I won't do but I really want to. Sorry I just needed to vent. He's just being so horrible!

amother

Post Thu, May 07 2009, 2:26 pm
I think you might try watching Supernanny on abc.com , It might give you some good ideas how to handle it.

Twoisacharm

Post Thu, May 07 2009, 2:28 pm
Hug
aw hel grow out of it soon....in the meantime keep the disipline even - dont go overboard and def dont ignore it
....sides doesnt he say and do sweet things in the middle of the tantrums etc?? keep that in mind - little children enjoy testing your boundries
good luck!!!!

Twoisacharm

Post Thu, May 07 2009, 2:30 pm
sorry I didnt mean in the middle of the actual tantrum Rolling Eyes I meant in between the tantrums....make more sense now?!?!?!?

sorry im tired lol

chocolate moose

Post Thu, May 07 2009, 2:31 pm
You don't hate HIM. You hate what he does/doesn't do. It's a huge difference.

Tamiri

Post Thu, May 07 2009, 2:32 pm
How old is he?

amother

Post Thu, May 07 2009, 2:36 pm
Tamiri wrote:
How old is he?

OP here - he's turning three soon. And cm you're right I don't hate my son, I hate what he's doing, though the line seems to be blurring at the moment.

chaylizi

Post Thu, May 07 2009, 2:57 pm
amother wrote:
I think you might try watching Supernanny on abc.com , It might give you some good ideas how to handle it.

there are probably better resources for parenting advice than a television show.

mama-star

Post Thu, May 07 2009, 3:21 pm
op, I just want to tell you, as a mother of an amazing, challenging, almost-3-ds, I relate totally.

Hug

amother

Post Thu, May 07 2009, 3:53 pm
OP when the going gets tough, just keep telling yourself, 'it's just a phase, it will pass'.

you are not alone in feeling this way. Wink

Tamiri

Post Thu, May 07 2009, 4:45 pm
amother wrote:
I feel like a terrible mother, but how long can things go on like this? He doesn't nap he stopped because we took away the pacifier (which he's done great with) but doesn't nap. He was so tired coming home from school he fell asleep in the car, he was tired going to his room and he's been horrible since then. He screams, hits me constantly and destroys his room. I just cannot stand being hit! It makes m want to hit back, which I won't do but I really want to. Sorry I just needed to vent. He's just being so horrible!
Of course I don't know your son, but maybe he's going through a readjustment period after having his naps stopped. He's still tired so he falls asleep in the car, but doesn't get a good enough shloof to make a difference. He may be frustrated at this (or something else) and is using the only methods he knows to get you to notice.
Is the school day too long for him? Does he maybe need some "unwinding" time after school: a few minutes at the park, a short walk - something to move him to the next time slot of the day with ease?
Maybe try to do something right after school before getting him into the car and see if that makes a difference. Oh, and maybe a good snack right after school can help - he may be hungry.

hesha

Post Thu, May 07 2009, 5:08 pm
why don't you let him keep the pacifier? maybe then he'll nap, and it definitely sounds like a worthwhile sacrifice...

pacifier

Post Thu, May 07 2009, 8:00 pm
try to teach him that it's ok if he goes lay down when he's tired. My daughter hardly ever napped and when she would, she 'd wake up crying.
After repeating her for days on end" you're tired? you can go take a nap if you want.... or go lay down on the couch.....", she finally took the hint.
Now when she's tired, she'll tell me, go lay down....

greenfire

Post Thu, May 07 2009, 11:36 pm
hate is such a strong word - especially for a little tyke ... an overtired kid can be hard on your emotions ...

pacifier your words make me want to tell myself ... it's okay to lay down and sleep ... thanks ... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

alpidarkomama

Post Fri, May 08 2009, 2:46 am
Sounds like he might be overwhelmed? Is it possible to make his day shorter? Did anything else change besides taking away the pacifier?

Fresh

Post Tue, May 12 2009, 1:37 pm
may I be a bit mean, and ask 'why' u took his passy away at such a young age? I feel terrible for kids 3-4 yrs old and their parents think they are 'big'. Thats my 2 cents.

momtomany

Post Tue, May 12 2009, 4:33 pm
why dont you let him finish his nap in the car?
yes you'll have to stay with him but if you bring your cordless to the car you can be on the phone while he naps and you can enjoy some quiet downtime, and the best part is when he wakes up finally he'll be rested, and hopefully in a good mood.

this was a life saver for me when my dd was going through this stage.

Ronit

Post Tue, May 12 2009, 4:59 pm
does he sleep in a crib?
I would lay him down w/ a kiss and run out of the room FAST -b4 he gets a chance to get up and then I shut the door.
then just let him cry it out.
I found w/ my son that they get the message pretty fast- the 1st time u try it he may cry for awhile, but eventually they just lie down on there own bec they know they arent comng out. and once they relax they fall asleep.
my son is a different person when he is well rested.

Rubber Ducky

Post Tue, May 12 2009, 5:01 pm
1) I would consider giving him back the pacifier.

2) Even if your DS doesn't nap he can still have a "quiet time." In the ancient days when DS#1 was little, we had quiet time after lunch. I would spread a blanket in a corner of the living room and put Schubert's 9th Symphony on the CD player (or cassette player? it was a long time ago) and he would lie down and think/space out/meditate there until it was over -- and Schubert's Ninth is about an hour long!

MiamiMommy

Post Tue, May 12 2009, 8:10 pm
munchkin wrote:
why dont you let him finish his nap in the car?
yes you'll have to stay with him but if you bring your cordless to the car you can be on the phone while he naps and you can enjoy some quiet downtime, and the best part is when he wakes up finally he'll be rested, and hopefully in a good mood.

this was a life saver for me when my dd was going through this stage.

I used to do this too! Sometimes I would try to carry ds in to the house, but I'd often sit in the car a read for a while! Then I'd carry him in and cuddle with ds on the couch until he'd woken up naturally. Some kids (and adults) have a really hard time when being woken suddenly from a nap that wasn't long enough in the first place!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers