Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Please help!

luvsfun

Post Fri, May 08 2009, 10:36 am
I've gained 20 pounds since last summer & right after Pesach I decided to get serious. The first 2 weeks I started with Fit for Life but on a stricter scale & I lost 5 pounds:) The next week I wanted to see much quicker results bec I figured if I put on the weight quickly, it should come off quickly too, so I started South Beach. to my horror, I weighed myself this morning & didnt loose any weight since last week & I've exercised every day this week!!!! Ok, is this normal? should I quit this diet & go back to the original one I started with? (I've done this diet previously & it worked & I dont wanna give up!) is it possible that perhaps the 3rd week is not a loosing weight week. If you have answers, please let me know.
Thanks!!!

DefyGravity

Post Fri, May 08 2009, 10:41 am
Weight is easy to gain, much much much harder to lose. Just because it goes on quickly, this doesn't mean it's going to come off as fast.

It's not the best idea to keep switching to different diet plans, especially ones that are so strict, such as SBD (I don't know anything about Fit for Life).

See the thread titled "Missing Breakfast". Someone posted a decent meal plan. I'd also suggest going to www.sparkpeople.com and putting together a meal plan there.

Keep in mind that 5 pounds in two weeks is VERY good. Losing weight any faster when you're not significantly overweight is not healthy, and oftentimes, the faster you lose, the less likely that you'll keep the weight off.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, May 08 2009, 11:58 am
Everyone wants the weight lost "yesterday".

I had a friend who lost 30 lbs over 18 mos. yes, it's very slow, but it was very easy for her to cut out just a few foods and exercise just twice a week. She stuck with all of it, even years later.

Luvsfun, you need to lose the weight healthfully now AND think of a maintenance plan for later. It's not just one or the other.

You also need to examine why you gained 20 lbs and what food means to you.

luvsfun

Post Fri, May 08 2009, 3:24 pm
Thanks to your replies, but how would u explain being strict & working out every day & not loosing anything????

DefyGravity

Post Fri, May 08 2009, 3:29 pm
Sometimes when I exercise a lot one week, and for some reason I'm unable to work out as much the following week, I'll see a sudden dip in the scale.

I wouldn't worry, just stick do whatever you did to lose the 5 pounds the first week (if it was a healthy way to eat) and you'll probably see the weight come off next week.

Don't get discouraged because of one week - especially since you did so well for two weeks. A lot of times when you lose a lot of weight one week, your body won't lose as much (or any) the following week. If you watch The Biggest Loser, you'll see that it happens all the time.

If you're not so overweight to begin with, it's hard to lose a lot of weight so quickly.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, May 08 2009, 5:39 pm
Luvs, did your dr check your thyroid ?

JewishMother18

Post Sat, May 09 2009, 2:33 pm
Sometimes the body knows you are trying to starve it and tries to hang on to what it's got. Eat three proper meals and two small snacks a day and drink lots of water. If you also add in some exercise you will be giving your body the best gift - healthy eating and exercise.

If you find portion control a problem, then eat off one of the kids' plates. Make the vegetable part of any meal the biggest quantity of food, followed by protein with carbs being the smallest part, if you are eating them.

good luck

luvsfun

Post Sun, May 10 2009, 9:24 pm
Thanks all, im continuing on South Beach & daily exercise & lots of water. I hope it was just a fluke in my system...

JewishMother18

Post Mon, May 11 2009, 12:28 am
good luck - I think SB is a great plan
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise