Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers
What would you do?

amother

Post Sun, May 10 2009, 8:28 am
I've worked for the last several years for a company/organization on the development/pr end. I had a two babies recently in the last three years, and of course my productivity waxed and waned depending on my schedule. I also haven't asked for a raise in 3 years either, because there is noone micromanaging me, and I do what I can. Recently, there were some changes in the management system, and there's an opportunity for me to step in and take on a lot more work. However, taking on extra work means my schedule will be crazy, and honestly, I don't make that much to make myself crazy. Getting a raise will entail hours and hours of teeth pulling, but I might get it in the end if I stand firm ( don't ask, it's a crazy situation, and too detailed to explain- our management team has pretty lousy managing skills).
On top of that, I don't exactly get paid on time.
So, to "prove" my producitivity and I can step up to the plate, I have to put in more hours. And, what I make is not worth it to work so hard, as it will also entail extra baby sitting hours etc...etc...( yes I would get reimbursed for extra baby sitting expenses).

And, yes my resume's out there- but I don't know who's "biting" right now.

So- for the short term, and long term- what would you do?

Im in a situation I need to get out of, but don't know how.

I want to ask for a raise, because it's not worth it for me to produce without a raise, but at the same time, I need to put in those hours to even get a raise! What do I do till I find something else?

Shalshelet

Post Sun, May 10 2009, 10:35 pm
is the job that you want to step up to paying a higher salary? Can you negotiate with them for a trial run (ie 3-6 months) with periodical reviews and the ability for either party to terminate that particular situation in exchange for a higher salary. You could explain that it will take more expertise to do that particular job, so they should pay you something more appropriate to match.

mimivan

Post Sun, May 10 2009, 11:18 pm
I was in a similar situation...
we are being monitored now for efficiency because of the economy (uh oh..) yep...(promotions in our company are frozen...so in my case, I'm fighting for survival...so have to improve efficiency) and my pay has already been cut, so I have to produce more for less.

I am not writing all that to bellyache...I just want to help put things in perspective...you are very fortunate to have the potential of a promotion when the economy is like it is.
First of all...
the fact you will get reimbursed for babysitting is a plus! a lot of people do not, so look at this as a BIG advantage.
how important is the raise and promotion to you? I am the breadwinner so we need my job (with the help of Hashem)...however, if you are doing fine financially with your dh's wages, or help from parents, or on what you are currently making, only you can decide whether the promotion is really worth the stress and bother. You might well want to just relax and spend more time with your kids.
Those are important factors to consider.

If you feel you really need this promotion and it is worth it...then I'd spring for the extra help. (unless it means ALOT more stress)

amother

Post Sun, May 10 2009, 11:57 pm
There would be no "official" promotion. It would just mean me taking on extra projects. The reason I would get reimbursed for baby sitting, would simply be that I would have to put in many more hours to complete the extra projects, and it's not worth it for me to pay more in baby sitting than my actual salary. There would also be no negotiation here. As I said, Im lucky I get paid on time. There might be a chance of negotiating for a higher raise if I step up to the plate and take on 2 more projects on my workload. The management focuses on stupidity, rather than real numbers. Don't ask.
I think Im going to present option a and option b to the management.
On x amount, I can work 3 projects, on a higher amount, I can take on 4-5 projects.
Ill leave the option up to them.

If they want the extra two projects completed, then let them make the decision.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers