Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Kotzker hasids?

chanahlady

Post Tue, May 12 2009, 4:35 pm
Chocolate Moose's inquiry made me want to write one of mine: Are Kotzker hasids still around? DH's grandfather was Kotzker, and we just happened to talk about it last night. He had no idea where they would be. Anyone know? TIA.

ClaRivka

Post Tue, May 12 2009, 5:23 pm
They r still around. Ger is a stem from Kotzk. Kotzk are the real chassidim Smile

Ruchel

Post Wed, May 13 2009, 7:49 am
Most of those who weren't killed became Ger (or off the derech, or not chassidish anymore).

My grandfather was raised Kotzker chusid.

Is there even still a rebbe?

chanahlady

Post Wed, May 13 2009, 10:38 am
Wikipedia says the 8th descendant from the rebbe is a rabbi at a Young Israel in Scarsdale...

Ruchel

Post Wed, May 13 2009, 10:51 am
I was in contact with him, yes. I know there was a (chassidish) Kotzker rebbe, I think in Chicago, right? If someone knows more about his descendency... I've pretty much lost track.

You can find an extensive family tree on JewishGen & Geni.

OOTBubby

Post Wed, May 13 2009, 4:17 pm
Ruchel wrote:
I was in contact with him, yes. I know there was a (chassidish) Kotzker rebbe, I think in Chicago, right? If someone knows more about his descendency... I've pretty much lost track.

You can find an extensive family tree on JewishGen & Geni.

There certainly has not been a Kotzker rebbe in Chicago in the last 35 years or so. Other rebbes, yes, but not Kotzker.

I do believe that the present Novominsker Rebbe (Rav Yaakov Perlow) is a descendant of Kotzk one one side and he did live in Chicago (more than 35 years ago), but I doubt that he's the one you're referring to.

Ruchel

Post Thu, May 14 2009, 5:50 am
It could have been 50 years ago. His name was Morgenstern.

OOTBubby

Post Thu, May 14 2009, 10:44 am
Ruchel wrote:
It could have been 50 years ago. His name was Morgenstern.

I can't speak for more than 35 years ago, and I asked my husband who goes back further and he doesn't know of one either. However 50 years or more is further back than he would know.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics