Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Strollers
Curious-"real" pram strollers
1  2  3  Next

ss321

Post Fri, May 15 2009, 6:20 pm
http://www.silvercrossamerica......m.php
Like this one.
They are so elegant and beautiful! People make fun of the bugaboos price tag (or now the stokke, or the orbit, or whatever else is new and hot....), but you can buy all 3 of those for the price of one of these balmoral prams. Ive only seen them in like old movies, or in pictures of british royal kids from the 80's. does anyone still buy them? I dont see such a stroller being very practical (LOL?!?!) in NY, even if you are loaded to the kilter, because even if you own a bloombergesque townhouse on the upper east side, you still have a staircase to contend with when walking outside, etc.
Anyway, just curious. Where do the people who own such strollers live? do people still buy these? I think its so gorgoeus but is the most impractical thing I have ever seen.....

cassandra

Post Fri, May 15 2009, 6:21 pm
I know someone who has one, and AFAIK used it for one newborn on Shabbos walks. I'm not sure if it was new, though.

ss321

Post Fri, May 15 2009, 6:26 pm
cassandra wrote:
I know someone who has one, and AFAIK used it for one newborn on Shabbos walks. I'm not sure if it was new, though.

even on CL the used ones are more than the most expensive (special-edition denim or silver) bugs....
they are so beautiful....if only they had car seat adaptors lol

Last edited by ss321 on Fri, May 15 2009, 6:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

Rivky

Post Fri, May 15 2009, 6:26 pm
I've seen a few people with it too. I dont know where they store it but they were using it on yom tov-proud mom parading the streets and I actually saw someone with it on a sunday on 13th ave. Its expensive though....

Atali

Post Fri, May 15 2009, 6:27 pm
I don't know anyone in America with one, but in Australia quite a few people had Emmaljungas.

In Australia they run at about $600 US dollars.

I don't quite understand why people like them so much. They are heavy, bulky, and don't fold.

ss321

Post Fri, May 15 2009, 6:29 pm
Rivky wrote:
I've seen a few people with it too. I dont know where they store it but they were using it on yom tov-proud mom parading the streets and I actually saw someone with it on a sunday on 13th ave. Its expensive though....

really! ive never seen anyone in bklyn or manhattan with one, and they are both pretty affluent communities!!
I dont think the chassis folds or anything, which is annoying. I keep my bugaboo unfolded in the house, but again, its not nearly as bulky!
its gorgeous but it realy is only good for a few months while the baby is in the bassinet right? after that, what do you do, there isnt a way for hte kid to sit up, am I correct?

Maya

Post Fri, May 15 2009, 6:29 pm
I've seen many of them in Williamsburg. But they must be a cheaper version, because I highly doubt they pay $3,000 for a stroller. But it's considered "old-fashioned" here.

ss321

Post Fri, May 15 2009, 6:33 pm
no atali that isnt waht im talking about. to me that looks like the bugaboo
http://www.macklems.com/silver.....w.jpg

Atali

Post Fri, May 15 2009, 6:41 pm
ss321 wrote:
no atali that isnt waht im talking about. to me that looks like the bugaboo
http://www.macklems.com/silver.....w.jpg

That looks even less practical that the Emmaljunga.

The Emmaljunga seems much less practical than the bugaboo. It is bulkier and folds up less flat. The silver cross one is probably much worse

ss321

Post Fri, May 15 2009, 6:45 pm
Atali wrote:

That looks even less practical that the Emmaljunga.

The Emmaljunga seems much less practical than the bugaboo. It is bulkier and folds up less flat. The silver cross one is probably much worse

yea, the bugaboo folds to this: , so its not bad at all IMO
I dont think the silvercross folds, but what do I know! I just think it is absolutley gorgeous!!

momoswyf

Post Fri, May 15 2009, 7:03 pm
I think they are very elegant also. The Silver Cross is the Rolls Royce of strollers/buggies. My husband, who is from England, says that what his mother had--and she would fit a bunch of kids in there at a time. It is handmade and a very smooth ride, probably better then the Bugaboo. I saw one on craigslist for $250, and was tempted, but it is so impractical. I would have to get another house just for it. LOL

lilacdreams

Post Sat, May 16 2009, 6:29 pm
My mother had one for us when we were born in the early 70's. We weren't rich but my grandparents bought it for my mother as a present. Infact she still has it and is hoping to sell it on ebay soon. She kept it all these years incsae we kids wanted to use it for our ids - I didnt - too bulky but in those days it was considered la creme de la creme of prams. I remember when my brother was born - he was in the pram, an I used to ride underneath - oh what fun it was!

Raisin

Post Sat, May 16 2009, 6:50 pm
I think they are hideously ugly. And not very useful, unless you never use a car. sure you can put a few kids in, but not strapped in.

amother

Post Sat, May 16 2009, 8:35 pm
My mom just brought a few of those baby silver crosses for her einklech in pink. There gorgeous but cost $$$$. I have seen one of the real silver cross around Israel. It was this chassidishe woman and she had that AND a bugaboo. Must have a lot of $$$. she also had it in blue, which imo if your buying such an expensive carriage isnt worth it.

Atali

Post Sat, May 16 2009, 9:37 pm
Apparently the kensington folds

http://www.silvercrossparts.co.....id=61

And for only $2000 they provide free shipping Rolling Eyes

ss321

Post Sat, May 16 2009, 9:43 pm
amother wrote:
My mom just brought a few of those baby silver crosses for her einklech in pink. There gorgeous but cost $$$$. I have seen one of the real silver cross around Israel. It was this chassidishe woman and she had that AND a bugaboo. Must have a lot of $$$. she also had it in blue, which imo if your buying such an expensive carriage isnt worth it.

I disagree-I think blue is a versatile color. You can use a pink blanket with navy blue and it doesnt look too boyish at all. I would rather blue than black or white...and unlike the bugaboo, it doesnt look like the silver cross comes with all these different crazy combos like khaki, hot pink, etc! I know lots of people who got that "special edition" denim bugaboo and use it for their girls. IMO though, it is ugly and so odd, why would you buy a thousand dollar stroller and then buy denim insides and then use that to walk aroudn in on shabbos. but to each her own.
oh gosh. if there was one on craigslist, I think I would get this if I had an infant. It is just so gorgeous.....but such a waste of money lol!

ss321

Post Sat, May 16 2009, 9:44 pm
Atali wrote:

interesting! Im not surprised abt the shipping obviously.
I want to see it folded.
I have become very obsessed with this stroller the last two days. I think its gorgoeus lol .

Atali

Post Sat, May 16 2009, 9:48 pm
ss321 wrote:
Atali wrote:

I want to see it folded.
I have become very obsessed with this stroller the last two days. I think its gorgoeus lol .

I have actually seen quite a few of these on Craigslist in the $250 range. Maybe try looking there.

traveler

Post Sat, May 16 2009, 10:23 pm
ss321 wrote:
Atali wrote:

I want to see it folded.

Join my husband. For nine months he harassed me to get a silvercross. All he wanted was for his little prince to have a fancy pram, I would so rather a nice Chanel Bag. It is timeless too Smile

I actually have seen one person on the street with a silvercross. It was a couple years back on yom tov. My really good friend had one when she had her first born. I am not sure if it was a new purchase or from when she was born.

I actually did see a mother trying to convince her daughter to buy this carriage.

It looks like the silvercross but for a lower price point.

I still MUCH rather swivel wheals.

DREAMING

Post Sat, May 16 2009, 11:59 pm
Maya wrote:
I've seen many of them in Williamsburg. But they must be a cheaper version, because I highly doubt they pay $3,000 for a stroller. But it's considered "old-fashioned" here.

Inglesina makes one too.

I think they are gorgeous but wouldn't buy one because I would only use it for the pram part. Once the kid is sitting I'd want a regular carriage/stroller.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics