Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Change in earting/sleeping schedule

happydw

Post Tue, May 19 2009, 9:32 pm
DS is 5 weeks old. We just moved back from my parents' house 2 days ago and I am overwhelmed by the many changes that have occurred in the past couples of days (perhaps because of the new environment?).
1. Baby's sleeping and eating schedule has changed - he used to go anywhere between 3-5 hours during the day between feedings and now it is every 2.5-3 hours. Also, his naps would last for about 2-4 hours during the day but now he usually wakes up after 30-60 minutes. Is this his new schedule or is he just going through a growth spurt? If it's a spurt, how long will it last?
2. DS will last 15-30 minutes in a swing or stroller (during the day) but then after he'll wake up hysterical and will only want to be held - this is a very new thing - he used to sleep well in a swing until just a couple of days ago. I used to be able to go on a 2/3 hours walk with him and he'd be sleeping the whole time - now he'll get up about 30-60 minutes into the walk hysterical (usually because he's hungry, although I just recently fed him!) It really is taking a toll on me because I can't hold him for so long...

While I know these aren't major issues and that other parents have it worst, the change in schedule is very hard for me. Is this all just a growth spurt? Can it be due to the change in environment? Help

sporty

Post Tue, May 19 2009, 10:46 pm
I am no expert but we went away when my dd was 7 weeks for Pesach and it was not good!!! She def sensed the new environment and was a very cranky baby the entire time we were away (tho we were at a place with a time change too!) and her eating/sleeping/mood was very different and she didn't settle till we got home after a few weeks (but the time change was a big factor too). Apparently babies do sense their environments and know when there is a change. I'm sure time will help...

pecan

Post Tue, May 19 2009, 10:59 pm
Babies generally become more difficult at about 3 weeks. From 6-8 weeks they are most difficult and then it slowly starts to get better. This is what is said about colic - but I found it to be true with general kvetchiness, too.
If it's only been two days since you came back, you do need to give it more time. But I don't remember ever being able to stick to a schedule at this age.

dlock

Post Wed, May 20 2009, 11:40 am
pecan wrote:

If it's only been two days since you came back, you do need to give it more time. But I don't remember ever being able to stick to a schedule at this age.

Ditto on the no schedule at that age for my daughter too.
I'm also no expert but when we went away for Pesach also (no time difference just to my parents and my in laws both pretty local) She was sleeping badly the whole time, at night and during the day, when she had been sleeping through the night and just starting on a nap schedule. Then when we came back I thought it would all go back to normal but I was wrong, I pretty much had to start from scratch and she still isn't napping during the day but has gone back to sleeping through the night. My daughter is also 5 months and I think at a younger age it should be easier to get back on track, keep trying and your son should be back to normal soon, Good Luck!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics