Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Swine Flu Backlash -- How do I get them to keep them sane

tovasmom

Post Sun, May 24 2009, 7:52 pm
So my ds's Yeshiva in Brooklyn announced that they were closing probably for the rest of the week due to one child with a confirmed case of swine flu in one of the older grades. To make it worse, no sooner had I digested this information, we received a call that dd's school was requesting that all students with siblings in one of the closed school not come to school until further notice! And this for the last week of HS for the year with lots of exams coming up and things like the end of the regent's curriculum to learn! My dd is freaking. I can see the decorum and order in the house deteriorating very quickly between the boys being bored and getting in the way of dd who is upset about not being in school. Other than moving dd elsewhere, does anyone have any ideas as to how to maintain order. And, Oh, by the way, did I mention that I work full time and this will all be taking place either with dd babysitting for her school age brothers or the babysitter on overtime? I feel like I need a vacation already! Exploding anger Exploding anger Exploding anger

greenfire

Post Sun, May 24 2009, 7:58 pm
omg - sounds insane ...

are they sure they want dd missing her last week of high school ... it's not your ds who has it ... I don't know what I would do ...

tovasmom

Post Sun, May 24 2009, 8:16 pm
DD is not the only girl in her HS with this problem. These two schools have lots of families in common. It does seem almost discriminatory to advise that girls with bros in this yeshiva cannot come to school! And we get to do damage control, of course!

JC

Post Mon, May 25 2009, 7:44 am
Send them to study at the library? The libraries near us have study rooms you can reserve, maybe she can get together with a few friends and have a study group.

CuteGirl613

Post Tue, May 26 2009, 2:26 pm
Did PPY let your daughter back in school?

ShakleeMom

Post Tue, May 26 2009, 4:46 pm
They should send a check to the parents for homeschooling, and use that money to take them to the amusement park!

tovasmom

Post Wed, May 27 2009, 6:46 am
CuteGirl613 wrote:
Did PPY let your daughter back in school?

Yep. Nobody in the house sick, so she went back, Thank G-d. Everybody B"H is back, so crisis averted, so far. Now, hopefully, everyone should stay well!

octopus

Post Wed, May 27 2009, 7:35 am
other yeshivas and BY's closed down because of swine flu this week.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics