Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Upsherenish: cater or cook?
1  2  Next

mama-star

Post Mon, May 25 2009, 8:30 am
I am making an upsheren in about a month, and I was planning on cooking milchigs for it. (mac and cheese, ziti, lasagne, etc) the time of the event will be 11am - 2pm.

dh just told me last night; "why don't we just cater it?" meaning, he'd like to get a breakfast/brunch-y type spread with bagels, egg salad, tuna, etc.

on the one hand, I think if I make the food myself it will be more enjoyable, and heartier (not to mention cheaper). OTOH, if it's catered, it will make my life so much easier on this special day. the only thing is, if I cater it, I know I am just going to have to mix out and let dh deal with the caterer. that means we get what he wants (the brunch-y spread).

wwyd? input please!!

Raisin

Post Mon, May 25 2009, 8:33 am
why not do both? let dh get the bagels and spreads he wants, and you make one or two hot dishes.

bbmom

Post Mon, May 25 2009, 8:34 am
You mentioned that the caterer is more expensive, so if you're looking to be frugal then cook.

Assuming, though, that the expense is not a big issue, I would go with the caterer even if the spread wasn't my first preference. Brunch spreads are generally well liked, the food goes, and it's way easier especially if DH is going to be the one to deal with them!

mama-star

Post Mon, May 25 2009, 8:36 am
Raisin wrote:
why not do both? let dh get the bagels and spreads he wants, and you make one or two hot dishes.

that's an interesting idea raisin...maybe I could let dh get the catered food and then just make mac and cheese for the kids?

Besiyata Dishmaya

Post Mon, May 25 2009, 8:37 am
What kind of word is "upsherenish"? Don't you mean "upsheren"?

Raisin

Post Mon, May 25 2009, 8:37 am
mama-star wrote:
Raisin wrote:

that's an interesting idea raisin...maybe I could let dh get the catered food and then just make mac and cheese for the kids?

I think you will find the adults will want the kids food too. Wink But you will only have to make one, or maybe 2 hot dishes (and not so much of them) and it will be much less work.

Raisin

Post Mon, May 25 2009, 8:38 am
MeThinks wrote:

I've heard both. and opsher.

Besiyata Dishmaya

Post Mon, May 25 2009, 8:42 am
A catered upsheren? What will his bar mitzvah look like? And the wedding? Colors

Ruchel

Post Mon, May 25 2009, 9:14 am
MeThinks wrote:
A catered upsheren? What will his bar mitzvah look like? And the wedding? Colors

I can't imagine a NON catered upsherin, unless you tell me it's just child, parents and grandparents...
My dd's birthday was catered!

gryp

Post Mon, May 25 2009, 9:29 am
Mama-star, I think it depends on the type of crowd coming, but doesn't it make more sense to get catered hot dishes since you can buy bagels and spreads by yourself? Scratching Head

Mazel Tov, btw, for your little one becoming a big boy.

Chocoholic

Post Mon, May 25 2009, 9:31 am
Since when is something that is not even halacha becoming wedding like... In 10 years there will be 50,000$ upsherenishen... Oy.

BeershevaBubby

Post Mon, May 25 2009, 9:34 am
MeThinks wrote:
A catered upsheren? What will his bar mitzvah look like? And the wedding? :colors

Funny, our older son's Brit was catered (Erev Shavuot) and we actually went with bagels and platters...

Our second son's Brit, we simply bought 3 dozen bagels and made the platters ourselves. It was a FRACTION of the cost and not that labor intensive.

If you're looking to save money, do it yourself and make it buffet so you don't have to work and can enjoy the party.

Twoisacharm

Post Mon, May 25 2009, 9:41 am
like the idea of doing both - you can make the hot dishes in advance and freeze (I did that a few times - comes out just the same as making it fresh) and the bagels buy hot and fresh the morning of - maybe salads (which are the most pachkie) you can buy

gryp

Post Mon, May 25 2009, 9:43 am
It's bagels and spreads, people. "Catering" doesn't always mean a six course meal. I think the "oy's" are completely misplaced.

mom23

Post Mon, May 25 2009, 9:45 am
Ladies, I really don't understand what everyone is getting so bent out of shape over. Mama star is willing to cook the food herself, and her DH is willing to spend the extra money to save her that stress.

It's not like mama star is being wasteful. She's not renting linen, flowers and waiters. She's thinking of buying a bagel platter! She definitely doesn't need hurtful comments.

My opinion is that time and stress need to be taken into account. The main thing is to be able to celebrate the day in the easiest way possible. Mazel Tov!

mom23

Post Mon, May 25 2009, 9:46 am
GR I was typing while you were posting. Great minds think alike!

gryp

Post Mon, May 25 2009, 9:58 am
Very Happy

mama-star

Post Mon, May 25 2009, 9:59 am
mom23 wrote:
Ladies, I really don't understand what everyone is getting so bent out of shape over. Mama star is willing to cook the food herself, and her DH is willing to spend the extra money to save her that stress.

It's not like mama star is being wasteful. She's not renting linen, flowers and waiters. She's thinking of buying a bagel platter! She definitely doesn't need hurtful comments.

My opinion is that time and stress need to be taken into account. The main thing is to be able to celebrate the day in the easiest way possible. Mazel Tov!

thank you!

and thank you all for your input. you have given me "what to think about."

BeershevaBubby

Post Mon, May 25 2009, 10:03 am
GR wrote:
It's bagels and spreads, people. "Catering" doesn't always mean a six course meal. I think the "oy's" are completely misplaced.

As we discovered, there was a huge difference in price when we did the spreads and platters ourselves rather than have the bagel place do it all.

If you don't care about the money, they go for it, or go part way.

Mrs. XYZ

Post Mon, May 25 2009, 10:08 am
MeThinks wrote:

I think its a lubavitcher term. I had never either heard of it until coming on this site and I realized that the Lub. women all say upsherenish instead of upsheren.

Quote:
Since when is something that is not even halacha becoming wedding like... In 10 years there will be 50,000$ upsherenishen... Oy.

There are people who make grand anniversary parties, and birthday parties for stam any birthday. Why should this be any less?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics