Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
5 hours to cook chicken??

ABC

Post Tue, May 26 2009, 2:40 am
This recipe from Spar People looks good, but can it be right that the chicken has to cook for FIVE hours??

Sticky Chicken

Serves: 4

This roasted chicken gets its sticky coating from the juices it releases while being baked.

INGREDIENTS
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon white pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 ready-to-cook 1 lb. roasting chicken
1 cup chopped onion

DIRECTIONS
1. In a small bowl, thoroughly combine all the spices.
2. Remove giblets from chicken; clean the cavity well and pat dry with paper towels.
3. Rub the spice mixture into the chicken, both inside and out, making sure it is evenly distributed and down deep under the skin.
4. Place in a resealable plastic bag, seal and refrigerate overnight.
5. When ready to roast chicken, stuff cavity with onions, and place in a shallow baking pan.
6. Roast, uncovered, at 250° F for 5 hours. After the first hour, baste the chicken occasionally (every half hour or so) with pan juices. The pan juice will start to caramelize on the bottom of the pan and the chicken will turn golden brown. If the chicken contains a pop-up thermometer, ignore it or remove it.
7. Let chicken rest about 10 minutes before carving. If you carve meat too soon after cooking, the juices will run out and the meat will be dry.

Seraph

Post Tue, May 26 2009, 5:51 am
youre cooking it at a low temperature, so it would make sense that it takes longer. and its a whole chicken, which also takes longer. I guess its possible- why not try it and just check after 2 or 3 hours if its near finished, and if not, let it cook up to the 5 hours recommended?

bubby

Post Tue, May 26 2009, 5:56 am
I cook my chickens for AT LEAST 4 hours on 350 or even higher. They come out soft & juicy, not dry & shriveled! (I baste after about 3 hours) My DSIL tells DD he likes the way his shviger cooks her chicken. Very Happy

That's enough for me, although the last time I cooked for him was when I visited a year ago! Thumbs Up

Twoisacharm

Post Tue, May 26 2009, 9:28 am
sounds delicious if not a bit time consuming - I wonder if you have to marinate it that long and if you can put the oven on 350 and still get the same result???

myfriends715

Post Tue, May 26 2009, 11:45 am
I do this recipe in the crock pot it comes out yummy
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey