Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Meira or Miriam?
Previous  1  2

its all good

Post Sun, Jun 21 2009, 5:09 am
most definatly Meira!!

amother

Post Sun, Jun 21 2009, 6:50 am
Miriam!! But its my name so I might be biased. Meira is less common, but IMO that's not the best reason to choose a name. Pick the one that resonates with you.

Seraph

Post Sun, Jun 21 2009, 10:47 am
Meira sounds prettier, and I'm not so into the name miriam because it means bitter and miriam haneviah had a hard life...
But I probably would use neither because we use names with tanachi sources, but wouldn't use miriam for the reason I wrote above.

shalhevet

Post Sun, Jun 21 2009, 10:54 am
Where did you hear that Miriam hanevia had a hard life? Personally, I believe in giving our children names that give them a tzaddik/ tzaddekes to emulate.

Seraph

Post Sun, Jun 21 2009, 11:04 am
shalhevet wrote:
Where did you hear that Miriam hanevia had a hard life? Personally, I believe in giving our children names that give them a tzaddik/ tzaddekes to emulate.
I don't remember where, but so I was told. And I was told also that people with the name miriam often have a hard life as well. Confused
I also believe in naming after tzaddikim, but I'd try to find one that didnt have a hard life.

shalhevet

Post Sun, Jun 21 2009, 11:49 am
I prefer to follow sources (like it's good to name your children after tzaddikim, and not change the traditional names that have always been used in klal Yisroel) than listen to rumours that people spread that having a name like X, Y, or Z can give you a hard life.

amother

Post Sun, Jun 21 2009, 1:55 pm
You think Miriam Haneviah had a hard life?? Who doesn't have a hard life?

What about Moshe rabbeinu, for example?

Anyways it's because of Miriam that B'nei Isroel continued having babies even after Paroah's decree.
And she also sang a beautiful shira to Hashem after kriyas yam suf.

These are all good reasons to be named after her.

Seraph

Post Sun, Jun 21 2009, 2:03 pm
amother wrote:
You think Miriam Haneviah had a hard life?? Who doesn't have a hard life?

What about Moshe rabbeinu, for example?

Anyways it's because of Miriam that B'nei Isroel continued having babies even after Paroah's decree.
And she also sang a beautiful shira to Hashem after kriyas yam suf.

These are all good reasons to be named after her.
Listen, there are plenty of reasons to name as well. I just like to pick a name that isnt known for hardships in life. If I can give my kids easier lives by chosing their names wisely, I will. Doesnt mean that theres a problem with the name, but rather I personally wouldnt. I have a sefer that says about the name miriam "People with that name have a lot of bitterness (merirut) in their lives." Yes, that bitterness brings out their awesome strengths, but the second I hear that with a certain name they're more likely to have bitterness in their life, I'll stay away. Miriam means bitter waters, and since names and their meanings have a big effect on a person and their life, I'd rather not give my kid a name like that, even if she was an amazing tzadekes.
But no reason you shouldnt, I'm just giving my personal opinion.

Besiyata Dishmaya

Post Sun, Jun 21 2009, 3:17 pm
Never heard of the name Meira but certainly know of famous woman with the name Miriam. To name but a few: The first Miriam, sister of Moshe Rabbenu; the Sanzer Rov's mother was Miriam; the sister of the Remo and the daughter of the Chacham Tzvi and Rashi. What great women!!!

brbs

Post Sun, Jun 21 2009, 9:55 pm
We had the same options cause we named after my grandmother who was never given a name at birth. When she got married in 1940 the rabbi asked what her hebrew name was and she toilds him she didn't know but she was named after her grandfather meir, so he named her miriam... fast forward 20 years or so, she had the same conversation with the rabbi of their local conservative synagogue, who told her "ur named after meir ur name isa meira" so after that she went with meira...

We decided to go with Meira cause as a newborn she just didn't look like a miriam and we added tova.. Meira is from light and tova is good, so her name means "the source of light is good" or another words "G-d is good"

Isramom8

Post Mon, Jun 22 2009, 11:35 am
Miriam is one of our kids' middle names. Classic, easily pronounced, and works in all societies.

pink_nails

Post Mon, Jun 22 2009, 12:10 pm
I like Miriam. I've always loved that name. I know so many miriam's and they're all great, loving, fun people. (I love mimi for short) Smile

Isramom8

Post Mon, Jun 22 2009, 12:55 pm
Ours is! Can't think of a Miriam I don't like.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names