Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
How many pairs of shoes does your toddler have?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

chayitty

Post Fri, Jun 19 2009, 1:41 pm
I have shabbos shoes, weekday shoes, sneakers, and real crocs for my 3 and 5 yr. old. whats normal is all relative...do I need to have that many shoes for them? no. but I have them anyway

tato

Post Fri, Jun 19 2009, 1:50 pm
RightOnTarget wrote:
tato, I believe shoes in toddlers have to fit right and be of good quality to hold their foot right.

I'd rather get one expensive well fitted shoe per season at a shoe store than 10 cheap ones. (I will not list the price here as I can expect some bashing for that.)

Well apperantly I have 3 pairs of shoes that I bought from amazon that really retail for 80. I really liked the quality so I went back and googled where I can get more and the same pair of shoes were 80 in ALL other web sites.
That's what I mean when I say past seasons or bargains... They are very good quality. And the casual ones are for the park and stuff like that that it won't kill me if he messes them up.. I can't imagine putting a toddler in 80$ shoes to the park. And those being his only ones.
I do understand that the cheap ones need to be good on his foot and I make sure of that before I get them.. But tell u the truth.. Sometimes because tere is an "N" written on the outside does not mean its better quality, you are paying more for the brand (trust me, I know my dh is in manufacturing and wholesale)
I'm not saying its true for all shoes tho.

mummy-bh

Post Fri, Jun 19 2009, 1:58 pm
my 2 year olds both have one pair of shoes (start-rite, cost an absolute arm and a leg, but I think it's important to get well fitted shoes for kids) and one pair of junky sandals which they wear a total of about 2 hours a week.

I don't buy shabbos shoes until the kid stops growing. (so far I only bought one pair of shabbos shoes!)

manhattanmom

Post Fri, Jun 19 2009, 2:40 pm
One pair of shoes--more casual, supportive--good for shabbos and weekday. He also has a pair of crocs which he's been insisting on wearing every day for the past week! (even outside in the rain!)
I am going to buy waterproof shoes that will stay on his feet in the pool and that he can wear when he's walking around near the pool.

BLUESHOE

Post Fri, Jun 19 2009, 3:40 pm
1 good supportive pair for shabbos/weekday. 1 sandel for weekday. When they turn 3 I buy a separate shabbos shoe.

Seraph

Post Sun, Jun 21 2009, 2:29 am
My son got a pair of nice weekday shoes that were nice enough for shabbos when he just started walking, half a year ago. They were expensive (130 shekel) but they were the only ones in the store that fit him. I got them big on him, and he's starting to outgrow them, but can still fit into them if necessary. In addition to that, I bought him 20 shekel sandals about a month ago, and everyone comments how cute they are. They probably won't last more than this summer, I don't expect to pass it on to future kids.
I just bought him a pair of knock off crocs this week for 7 shekel.
So 3 pairs, but one is almost outgrown.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jun 21 2009, 2:40 am
Dd gets 1 pair of expensive weekday shoes fitted at a children's shoe store. (Main shoes that she wears most of the time.) Then off we go to buy Shabbos shoes at a cheaper store, in the same size she was fitted for.
Boots and swimming slippers are also bought cheap. And sometimes I buy an extra pair of cheap shoes that I can't resist.

Marion

Post Sun, Jun 21 2009, 2:48 am
DS#1 has two (technically). One pair is almost dead, which is why I bought the 2nd. Almost dead, as in the velcro doesn't close properly and the buckle keeps coming off and has to be re-stitched. DS#2 has one pair.

We will be in Toronto in a few weeks and I will be buying the next size up for each of them (much cheaper, and I found the quality to be beyond acceptable last time I did this).

I don't pass on shoes from child to child with 2 exceptions:
1. Winter boots. DS#1 wore those boots for all of 2 weeks. DS#2 hasn't worn them at all. If I ever have another one the right age and we actually need them, I'll have them.
2. DS#1 had a pair of shoes that the velcro came unstitched. He wore them 4 times before that. I fully intend to stitch down the velcro & DS#2 will be able to wear them.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Jun 22 2009, 10:45 am
RightOnTarget wrote:

I don't believe such an age needs special shabbos shoes. He does not go to shul yet. His first pair of Shabbos shoes will be at his Upsherin.

My son does go into davening (almost 2.5)...When he had "shoes" instead of sneakers, it didn't bother me as much, but I don't mind that he as sneakers and Shabbos shoes now (total cost of $17) which are just more kavodik.
(Oh, he also wears a yarmulka if that matters -- and a special Shabbos one on Shabbos Smile)

Twizzlers

Post Mon, Jun 22 2009, 11:57 am
I'm also one to spend money on decent shoes. I've seen how payless shoes and the like can ruin a childs feet. I will skimp and be cheap on clothing, but not on shoes.

my 2.5 year old has one pair of shoes (about $65). he also has $5 crocs for swimming in day camp, and a pair of $5 shabbos shoes that I bought him for my sisters wedding. if not for the wedding, I would not buy shabbos shoes at all. I buy shoes that are nice looking, and I polish them for shabbos.

I also agree with marion about boots. I have a pair of boots that went thru my 2 brothers, and ds1. I would say they were probably worn about 10 times total so I will definitely keep them for ds2 and future kids iyh.

HY, we also have a separate shabbos yarmulka, but thats more for him, so he can realize the distinction between shabbos and weekday. I dont think shoes fall into the same category though, as a shabbos yarmulka costed me all of $7 and shabbos shoes would run me about 10 times that price.

sped

Post Mon, Jun 22 2009, 12:07 pm
My friend's very good pediatrician told her that she definitely could pass shoes down from child to child, so long as they are not very worn out, and she has been doing that with no ill-effects so far!

chaylizi

Post Mon, Jun 22 2009, 12:09 pm
OldYoung wrote:
I buy one pair for dd that she wears for shabbos and weekday. They're a light, neutral color so (I think) they don't look out of place. Now that it's warm out, I'm thinking of buying her some sort of plastic shoe (like jellies or crocs) so she can go in the sprinklers/pools with them but I haven't done that yet.

that's what I do with my younger dd. she has sandals and crocs. I buy her shabbos shoes for yt if my dh insists.

my six year old has a pair of keen sandals (that double as water shoes if needed) & a shabbos shoe. she still has last years crocs. she had a pair of lelli kelli's that I got on a bargain rack until school was over, but she isn't wearing them to camp. I'd like her to be able to wear something presentable if we go somewhere.

chaylizi

Post Mon, Jun 22 2009, 12:17 pm
Clarissa wrote:
My kid has two pairs of shoes for Spring/Summer. One is sneakers, and the other is sandals, because we needed something waterproof for the playground. The rest of the year he had one pair, these little boots that he wears for everything.

last year I got my dd a pair of ecco shoe/boots. she wore them all winter & when the velcro wore out I brought them back to nordstroms. I walked out with a brand new pair of shoe/boots that she wore for the rest of the season. I loved the idea & I plan to do it again next year if possible.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Jun 22 2009, 12:23 pm
Twizzlers wrote:
I'm also one to spend money on decent shoes. I've seen how payless shoes and the like can ruin a childs feet. I will skimp and be cheap on clothing, but not on shoes.

my 2.5 year old has one pair of shoes (about $65). he also has $5 crocs for swimming in day camp, and a pair of $5 shabbos shoes that I bought him for my sisters wedding. if not for the wedding, I would not buy shabbos shoes at all. I buy shoes that are nice looking, and I polish them for shabbos.

I also agree with marion about boots. I have a pair of boots that went thru my 2 brothers, and ds1. I would say they were probably worn about 10 times total so I will definitely keep them for ds2 and future kids iyh.

HY, we also have a separate shabbos yarmulka, but thats more for him, so he can realize the distinction between shabbos and weekday. I dont think shoes fall into the same category though, as a shabbos yarmulka costed me all of $7 and shabbos shoes would run me about 10 times that price.
I happened to get his Shabbos shoes when I was buying his first pair of sneakers (instead of shoes) and I found them for $12 Smile I wouldn't spend more than that on a 2 year old Shabbos shoes.
His Shabbos yarmulka serves as a differentiation, just like Shabbos shoes can. Are they necessary? No. Are Shabbos yarmulkas necessary? No. Are Shabbos pajamas necessary? No. Is there something wrong with it? No, as long as it's within your means. I don't buy Shabbos coats at this age, but I don't mind getting him a pair of Shabbos shoes if his weekday shoes are sneakers. If he hadn't gotten the sneakers in between his old shoes and his sandals, he'd be wearing the sandals for Shabbos too (like last year). If I hadn't gotten the sneakers, and got him $20 shoes instead, I definitely would have foregone on the Shabbos shoes. But since his sneakers were $5 (Clearance; not junk), I didn't see anything wrong with it.

And regarding boots: you mean just for snow? Or as day to day wear? Because it's better according to all the doctors I've spoken to to get cheaper shoes (quality doesn't matter -- flexibility does) vs getting "good" used ones molded to another child's foot.

DREAMING

Post Mon, Jun 22 2009, 12:31 pm
one pair of shoes and one pair of slippers

pink_nails

Post Mon, Jun 22 2009, 12:47 pm
ok, I guess I'm one of the crazy ones here. DD is my first child and I just looove shopping for her! She has one shoe from my niece which she started off spring with, then I got her a cute pink & silver shoe. For shabbos have one gold and one silver shoe for her. Then she has "fake crocs" from target and a pair of robeez slippers..... I'm still thinking of getting her a cheap $3 flip flops for swimming. I just love these tiny little shoes

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Jun 22 2009, 12:51 pm
I hope she has more than one shoe a pair Wink

Barbara

Post Mon, Jun 22 2009, 1:40 pm
Twizzlers wrote:

I'm not a fan of Payless, but when DS was a toddler, he had a friend whose father was a chiropodist or podiatrist (not sure), who swore they were the best things for toddler feet.

We always had 2 pairs for DS as a toddler -- in summer, they were sandals (that could be used for Shabbat) and sneakers. Once he got older, any time he owned more than one pair of shoes, they were known as *the pair he wears* and *the pair he refuses to wear* Getting him to wear Shabbat shoes is a major struggle; he usually tries to wear his sneakers.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Jun 22 2009, 1:43 pm
(Because Payless at times has very flexible shoes. That's the most important thing for little feet.)

Twizzlers

Post Mon, Jun 22 2009, 1:55 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:

And regarding boots: you mean just for snow? Or as day to day wear? Because it's better according to all the doctors I've spoken to to get cheaper shoes (quality doesn't matter -- flexibility does) vs getting "good" used ones molded to another child's foot.

I mean snow boots. like when there is a couple of inches of snow on the ground and the child wants to walk instead of sit in the stroller.
day to day wear, I would not pass down shoes. I've clearly seen how my sons foot totally molds his shoe and I cant imagine how anyone else's foot would even be comfortable in there.

as far as payless shoes, they may have flexibility, but a good shoe needs support as well. and I find that in the support department, they are lacking. (it also doesnt help that my kids have such wide feet, even the W sizes dont fit!)
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics