Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Getting a Toddler to Climb up Steps

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 12:49 pm
My two year old doesn't like to climb up the steps. I ttly get that, it's a lot of steps - we live 3 flights up and he's a little guy. But I'm BH in my second trimester and really can't hold him to bring him up myself. How can I get him to climb up himself?
Telling him I'm going home didn't work, I tried that today. He's an adorable little guy and just as stubborn as I am Wink
I prefer not to use prizes. This is something basic I want him to learn to do long-term.

amother
Lightcoral

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 1:01 pm
Uch this sounds really hard. I'm not sure what to say. I totally hear both sides- one of you having a hard time carrying him and the other that climbing up 3 flights of steps is really very challenging for a 2 year old. Is there anyone who might be around that could help you carry him up? I know it won't be super pleasant to ask but people are nice and may be happy to help

amother
Magnolia

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 1:07 pm
Can you make it a game?
Sing a climbing the stairs song?

Sometimes prizes (really small like stickers) actually are good for something like this. As he gets older and stronger he won't need the external motivation and you won't be giving him stickers for going up the stairs forever.

Good Friend

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 1:18 pm
We also go up and down steps a lot. Sometimes I give my toddler a pep talk- like “you’re such a big boy, so strong! I know you can climb up all the stairs by yourself!” And keep cheering him on as we go up.
Or sometimes we race each other. Or we play a game that he has to find me and I keep disappearing from view because it’s spiral stairs. Or we pretend we’re soldiers and we march 2 3 4 march 2 3 4, or we count the stairs as we go to see how many there are, or we say the 12 psukim one word on each step (works for any cheer or song), or name a relative or friend on each step… it’s lots of fun! Just joking it’s not fun- usually I’m carrying a baby and some other stuff so I need the toddler to just walk up ASAP, but rotating these tricks usually works.

mushkamothers

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 1:35 pm
Gamify it. Like ideas posted above. Or telling a story or singing song. Maybe a toy would help like a duck on a string that you pull along? A slinky? Counting?

amother
Bluebonnet

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 1:48 pm
My daughter was just plain lazy and refused to walk up stairs. I told her she is too heavy to carry, but I can hold her hand instead of her body. It took some coxing, but eventually she agreed.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 4:03 pm
Once I get him to start climbing, I can see some of these ideas maybe working to get him to continue. I can't sing because it's a public staircase and there are male neighbors sometimes in the staircase, but I can tell him a story or count or make a game or give him a sticker after he reaches the top (or halfway or wtvr). But I can't really see any of these motivating him to start climbing. He'd rather stay outside. How can I get him to start climbing?

I wish there was someone to help me carry him up, but anyone I see around is watching their own kids outside and I can't ask them to abandon their kids to help me out! The last while I just waited until my husband came home but it's highly inconvenient not to be able to go out until I know he's about to come home.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics