Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
Need seudah shlishit ideas

mominisrael2

Post Sat, Jun 20 2009, 1:54 pm
Today I invited a family over for seudah shlishit next shabbat, unfortunately did not know that they all have tons of allergies! Fish, eggs, milk, nuts -- which pretty much eliminates all my usual menu ideas like tuna salad/egg salad...looking for ideas! I was thinking vegetarian sushi, vegan stew and a salad, but need something a little more kid-friendly as well...thanks!

baba

Post Sat, Jun 20 2009, 2:48 pm
avocado salad
pasta salad

RachelEve14

Post Sun, Jun 21 2009, 1:53 am
You can make veggie burgers from beans or lentils.

Falafal? YUM.

Veggie Chullent w/ parve hot dogs.
Or for kid friendly, just parve hot dogs in blankets (Moshe b'teva)

Yummy can I come too?????????

mominisrael2

Post Sun, Jun 21 2009, 2:13 am
Falafel is a GREAT idea -- thanks!! We'll make a shabbat date when all the excitement dies down in your house Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

RachelEve14

Post Sun, Jun 21 2009, 3:14 am
mominisrael2 wrote:
Falafel is a GREAT idea -- thanks!! We'll make a shabbat date when all the excitement dies down in your house Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

yay!!!!! Rivka is fine. I hope they finish so she is not stuck home much longer.

flowerpower

Post Sun, Jun 21 2009, 3:15 am
You can make a pasta salad with brown rice pasta.
Tofutti cheese cake

mominisrael2

Post Sun, Jun 21 2009, 3:33 am
It's DD's birthday so I can't deprive her of her favorite dessert which includes eggs, but I'll make a fruit salad for the benefit of the kid who's allergic...man, I have no clue how you allergy moms deal with this on a daily basis, kol hakavod to you!! Salut

Mrs Bissli

Post Sun, Jun 21 2009, 10:40 am
Lots of israeli-style dips are egg/fish/milk/nut free. Like hummous, baba ganoush, roasted red peppers, israeli salad. You can also get egg-free mayo for guacamole etc. Serve with crackers, matzos, corn chips. And pasta salad (make sure pasta is egg-free). I also make multiple colour jelly for the kids.

mominisrael2

Post Mon, Jun 22 2009, 3:41 am
Mrs Bissli wrote:
And pasta salad (make sure pasta is egg-free)

I checked the ingredients on the pasta and all it said was semolina -- I take it that's safe?

BeershevaBubby

Post Mon, Jun 22 2009, 4:02 am
Make sure they're not allergic to sesame since prepared Hummus has Tehina in it.

You might want to make sure they're not allergic to Nori, otherwise the sushi may be a problem after all.

mominisrael2

Post Mon, Jun 22 2009, 4:34 am
YESHASettler wrote:
Make sure they're not allergic to sesame since prepared Hummus has Tehina in it.

You might want to make sure they're not allergic to Nori, otherwise the sushi may be a problem after all.

What's in nori, I thought it was just dried seaweed? Yikes, this is going to be harder than I thought! I'll email them with my menu plan and get approval before I make anything, I guess!

BeershevaBubby

Post Mon, Jun 22 2009, 4:36 am
Nori is the dried seaweed... to me it has a very fishy taste so just to be on the safe side, you might want to make sure it's ok.

yaelinIN

Post Mon, Jun 22 2009, 10:33 am
Semolina is wheat flour, so if they are allergic to wheat it is out.

yaelinIN

Post Mon, Jun 22 2009, 10:35 am
Oh, and depending on what the featured dessert is, your friend might have egg replacer that you could use instead so everyone could eat the dessert.

mominisrael2

Post Mon, Jun 22 2009, 10:57 am
Good thing I spoke to the mom -- yeah, techina is out for one kid...so I'll do make-your-own falafel. She said that since the eggs are in a cooked dessert it's fine -- didn't know it was possible to be allergic to raw eggs but not cooked?? So a plain hard-boiled egg would be fine, but not egg salad due to mayo, and not anything merengue-y like a krembo. No wheat allergies, B"H. And I checked the nori package and there was no ingredient list, so I guess there's nothing added to it? But THAT kid doesn't like sushi anyway, so that's just a treat for the grown-ups Smile

BeershevaBubby

Post Mon, Jun 22 2009, 11:00 am
Wraps... tuna, egg salad, plain veggie.

(And the Hummus you buy in the store all have tehina added to it.)

elmos

Post Tue, Jun 23 2009, 11:56 pm
you can make a chumus without techina if you want exact reipe let me know but I do it with oil chickpeas fresh garlic and lemon juice and salt its easy and no allrgy issues usually. Yes parents or spouse who deal with allergies go thru alot and sometimes get told we go overboard for a young child but we get used to it as its a neccesity for us to make our child feel equal to the other children.

mominisrael2

Post Wed, Jun 24 2009, 12:24 am
elmos wrote:
you can make a chumus without techina if you want exact reipe let me know but I do it with oil chickpeas fresh garlic and lemon juice and salt its easy and no allrgy issues usually. Yes parents or spouse who deal with allergies go thru alot and sometimes get told we go overboard for a young child but we get used to it as its a neccesity for us to make our child feel equal to the other children.

I guess their allergies aren't life-threatening, because the mom was practically laughing at me for my concern! She assured me that my menu was fine and all the older kids know what they're not allowed to have, as long as I don't have peanuts around the baby then all is well. Somehow I have the feeling that even if allergies weren't a problem, all the kids would eat would be pasta salad and french fries anyway! Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics