Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
I dont know what to do!

amother

Post Fri, Jun 26 2009, 1:25 pm
So after a year of being a SAHM, it is time for me to go out and get a job for 1) I need to work, that is in my personality 2) bring in money for savings. B"h, dh is in the position that I only need to work p/t if we want to build up our savings. Anyways, I am looking for a job for a while, it is not the best market out there! I just went on an interview for a f/t position, and here is my dilemma. I dont mind that much to work f/t now, since I only have 1 child, and now is the time to save up. but it is a pretty grueling week, 9-5, fridays until 2, and 1 day of chol hamoed as well (that is not even such a big deal...) I am not getting benefits in this company, we are paying for private insurance out of our own pocket. not to mention child care costs. but I like the feel of the company and I know that there is room to grow here, and I like the position. should I go for this pretty demanding schedule if I b"h dont have to? Or will I regret it, I still want to raise my kids!!! btw, im anonymous coz I dont want people to figure who I am from out my sn.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Jun 26 2009, 1:28 pm
I always worked full time yet I raised my kids. Why do you feel you can't if you work; is it a long commute ?

amother

Post Fri, Jun 26 2009, 1:34 pm
no its not a long commute, actually. just wondering if it is worth it. I liked being at home, just went a bit crazy, coz like I said, I like to work. honestly, the friday thing really does bother me a lot, since we travel a lot for shabbos, esp in the summer. I also dont want to regret taking this position, from always being with my baby to being a full time working mom. and I feel that if I take a f/t job I should at least get benefits.

sv9506

Post Fri, Jun 26 2009, 2:01 pm
I agree that if you are going to be working FT you should get benefits. Why aren't they giving it to you?

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Jun 26 2009, 2:49 pm
Because benefits cost money !

happymom

Post Fri, Jun 26 2009, 4:33 pm
I think its better to spend time with your daughter, tehy grow up too fast and I think you might regret it later. hopefully the right pt job will come up for you

Mrs Bissli

Post Sun, Jun 28 2009, 5:54 pm
One way to look at it is, which option will give you lower risk of regretting? Would you regret if you take the FT job or would you regret if you decide to forgo the opportunity? If you would really regret not being able to see your child, you should stick to P/T job search. (Probably you can start F/T, survive the first 3months or 6 months then propose going P/T but that would be deceiving IMHO).

There are many things you can prepare beforehand, like childcare arrangement or cooking for shabbat beforehand so you have minimum after work on Fridays. Though I agree with you that no benefits for F/T sounds really stringy. Is this really a kind of company you want to work? Or will they give you benefit after a certain months?

amother

Post Sun, Jun 28 2009, 6:04 pm
op here. thanks for the replies, and after not sleeping for a week over this decision, I turned the offer down. and I feel happy about it! im going to look for p/t unless I'll get benefits with a f/t job. I couldnt see myself working f/t 2 years down the line, etc. I want to stick to the next job I get, and I didnt want to be dishonest committing to something I might regret.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics