Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Oven baked orzo?
1  2  Next

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jun 29 2009, 2:43 pm
Can orzo be baked in the oven, or does it always need to be cooked and drained according to package directions first, like all other pastas?

cookielady

Post Mon, Jun 29 2009, 4:35 pm
I have seen stove top recipes that don't involve draining. You just cook the orzo in an amount of liquid that is enough to cook it but not so much that it needs to be drained. I would imagine it would work in the oven. I haven't tried it, but it sounds like a good idea.

If you try it, let us know how it turns out.

HAPPYMOMMY

Post Mon, Jun 29 2009, 8:05 pm
I don't drain the orzo, I cook it like I make farfel.

realeez

Post Mon, Jun 29 2009, 9:25 pm
one of my friends does it in the oven - I keep meaning to get her exact measurements since she said it was so good!

oster

Post Mon, Jun 29 2009, 11:31 pm
I make farfel in the oven It comes out yummy. Heres what I do, I take a foil tin and put a bit of oil in it add a pack of farfel with spices and let it saute 1/2 minute on stove top ( u can just skip this part I just like it a little browned) then I add 2 1/4 cups water, I cover it and bake for 45 minutes.
Good Luck

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Jun 30 2009, 10:40 am
There's a wonderful recipe in the Kosher Palate, really easy, uses french fried onions.

(If you want a change, and don't mind precooking it, cook the orzo according to directions, put in a greased nine by thirteen, dot with a half cup of margarine, spread a lb. of cooked veg. (california type, mushrooms, whatever you like) cover and bake for a half hour.)

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jun 30 2009, 11:58 am
HAPPYMOMMY wrote:
I don't drain the orzo, I cook it like I make farfel.

Thanks HAPPYMOMMY! I will try to make it like farfel.

oster wrote:
I make farfel in the oven It comes out yummy. Heres what I do, I take a foil tin and put a bit of oil in it add a pack of farfel with spices and let it saute 1/2 minute on stove top ( u can just skip this part I just like it a little browned) then I add 2 1/4 cups water, I cover it and bake for 45 minutes.
Good Luck

I also make farfel in the oven. Thanks oster! I will try making the orzo that way.
(I do the same as you, except that I toast the farfel in oil in the oven before adding the water, and then I don't have to make any additional pots dirty.)

fayge wrote:
There's a wonderful recipe in the Kosher Palate, really easy, uses french fried onions.

(If you want a change, and don't mind precooking it, cook the orzo according to directions, put in a greased nine by thirteen, dot with a half cup of margarine, spread a lb. of cooked veg. (california type, mushrooms, whatever you like) cover and bake for a half hour.)

The french onion recipe sounds great. If it's an oven recipe, would you mind posting it for me? Thanks fayge.

sky

Post Tue, Jun 30 2009, 12:29 pm
oster's recipce sounds similar to what I do on the stove top with orzo so I'm guessing it would work. I also toast the orzo and then add the water and let it cook until all the water is absorbed. I don't see why it shouldn't work in the oven.

ra_mom

Post Mon, May 10 2010, 1:00 am
PinkFridge wrote:

Does anyone have this french fried onion orzo recipe please?

(Btw, I totally forgot about this thread... just looked up orzo and found it now. I have been making delicious orzo in the oven, thanks to Paddington Bear. If anyone needs a recipe, let me know.)

Nomad

Post Mon, May 10 2010, 1:14 am
yes ra, that would be great! how much orzo to water do you use??

ra_mom

Post Mon, May 10 2010, 1:31 am
Nomad wrote:

Thank you once again Paddington Bear!
http://www.imamother.com/forum.....=orzo

1 cup orzo
2 cups water
1 large carrot, shredded OR fresh peppers, diced
1 tomato, chopped
2 Tbsp parsley flakes OR canned mushrooms
2-3 Tbsp oil
1-1/4 tsp salt
4 dashes garlic powder
4 dashes onion powder
2-3 dashes black pepper

Combine all ingredients in a 7x10 pan. Cover tightly. Bake at 350 for 50 minutes. Serve immediately.

Last edited by ra_mom on Wed, Jun 16 2010, 10:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

Nomad

Post Mon, May 10 2010, 12:42 pm
looks yummy and easy!! thank you!

geemum

Post Mon, Jun 14 2010, 4:16 am
ra_mom wrote:
Nomad wrote:

Thank you once again Paddington Bear!
http://www.imamother.com/forum.....=orzo

1 cup orzo
2 cups water
1 large carrot, shredded OR fresh peppers, diced
1 tomato, chopped
2 Tbsp parsley flakes OR canned mushrooms
2-3 Tbsp oil
1-1/4 tsp salt
4 dashes garlic powder
4 dashes onion powder
2-3 dashes black pepper

Combine all ingredients in a 7x10 pan. Cover tightly. Bake at 350 for 1 hour. Serve immediately.

Thanks ra_mom - we'll be trying this tonight.

elmos

Post Wed, Jun 16 2010, 9:07 pm
I make orzo with tomato sauce water and spices and chicken on top I have mixed in veg. like mushroom onion or frzn mix veggie and baked together I haven't done it in ages so I can't remembr how much water tho was used sorry.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jun 16 2010, 10:19 pm
Just wanted to edit and say that I baked my orzo for only 50 minutes today and the texture was better this time.

bnm

Post Tue, Jun 22 2010, 8:30 pm
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!

Hug Hug Hug Hug Cheers Cheers Cheers Cheers Cheers

I made this tonight and my daughter broke an 8 day hunger strike to actually eat this!!!!!!!! (I would bake it for less than 50 minutes, mines came out very mushy)

life'sgreat

Post Tue, Jun 22 2010, 8:41 pm
bnm wrote:
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!

Hug Hug Hug Hug Cheers Cheers Cheers Cheers Cheers

I made this tonight and my daughter broke an 8 day hunger strike to actually eat this!!!!!!!! (I would bake it for less than 50 minutes, mines came out very mushy)

Baking it longer should not make it mushy.

(Or maybe I should actually read the thread and actually SEE what the recipe is to know if it's mushy because of the recipe.)

life'sgreat

Post Tue, Jun 22 2010, 8:43 pm
So if I understand correctly, the orzo is baked raw, with water, right?

bnm

Post Tue, Jun 22 2010, 8:51 pm
yes

life'sgreat

Post Tue, Jun 22 2010, 9:07 pm
bnm wrote:
yes

I think that's why it's mushy. Orzo is more like pasta in consistency and as such, should be drained well and not left to be too moist. Cook it, drain it and then bake it with sauteed veggies, trans fat free marg, spices (no MSG soup mix is my fave) covered. Uncover if you want it to be crunchy on top.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes