Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains
Store didnt let me use manufacturers coupon- was I wrong????
Previous  1  2

greenfire

Post Wed, Jul 01 2009, 5:47 pm
some coupons simply cannot be used at the same time ... I do hear the original question though ... and it's a wonder why not ... now I too am curious about the buy one get 2 free ... I probably would've saved the manufacturer's coupon for another time when the store has reg price and take advantage of their current sale ...

#1cook

Post Tue, Jul 07 2009, 12:40 am
cassandra wrote:
Here is a shaila though- can she buy one and get two free?

I was going to say the same thing

BeershevaBubby

Post Tue, Jul 07 2009, 1:15 am
To benefit from BOGO, you need to actually buy one in order to get one.

I don't see why anyone would think that with a BOGO coupon and an in store BOGO sale, you'd only need to buy 1 to get two.

BeershevaBubby

Post Tue, Jul 07 2009, 1:17 am
Also, a lot of places don't let you use 'price off item' coupons concurrently with another deal (like BOGO)... so either you use the $1.00 off coupon OR a BOGO coupon.

happyone

Post Tue, Jul 07 2009, 3:37 am
Most fine print on coupons say cannot be combined with any other offer. I still don't get why you would think you can pay nothing. It's clear that it's buy one get one free. You gotta first buy one in order to get the free one.

caringarden

Post Tue, Jul 07 2009, 7:17 am
I seem to remember actually doing it the way you explained a long time ago. I would either try a different store or talk to the manager. Sometimes it's just that particular cashier's mishegas.

Love My Babes

Post Tue, Jul 07 2009, 7:22 am
I was gonna say what happyone said. most companies do not let you use 2 coupon together. they usually say on the coupon 'not to be combined with any other offer.' I think u are wrong because you cannot expect the store to give away products for no money. if theres a sale, u still pay, even if its less money, but here u want it all for no money at all. when manufacturers have coupons, they make the stores prove they sold the stuff before they reimburse them, so if u got away without paying, they would not get reimbursed for the piece you took with the manufactures coupon, nor would they make any money for the one u took from them, so they lose 2 times.

#1cook

Post Tue, Jul 07 2009, 7:31 am
manufacturer coupons have nothing to do with a store sale a store gives a sale to lure you in to the store and manufacturer coupons are given out by the company to get you to buy their brand verses another brand. most stores will allow you to stack coupons

I once had a coupon for 50 cents off cereal and they were doubling the coupon value they were selling trial size boxes for $1 I used my coupon and ended up getting it for free.

another time I bought tissues 3 for $2 plus I had 20 cents off coupons I used 3 coupons (one for each box) double the coupon value I saved $1.20 ended up paying 80 cents for 3 boxes

BinahYeteirah

Post Tue, Jul 07 2009, 8:05 am
Actually, many stores do allow the use of BOGO coupon with a BOGO sale. A coupon is considered, from the store's point of view, a form of payment. They do get reimbursed for the value (plus eight cents for handling). As far as I know, they do not have to prove how much the customer paid or would have paid for the item. They generally have to prove they have moved (sold or "given away") at least as many items as the number of coupons for that particular product that they submit for reimbursement, meaning that they cannot sell 10 bottles of shampoo, then submit 11 coupons for that product.

Also, many stores allow a customer to use two dollar-amount-off coupons on a BOGO sale. So if shampoo is $2 and BOGO, you might be able to use two $1 off coupons making them free. Store polices do vary and it also depends on how the cash register is programmed. For example, some BOGO sales actually ring up each item at half price. Some ring up each at full price, then give a credit for one of the charges. Others ring up the second at $0.

Remember, sales are promotions for the store. They don't do it to be nice; they do it to get you in the door to spend money on other things they have available. If they run a BOGO sale, they do so with full knowledge that customers will be getting more of that item than usual and that they are selling those items for less money than they would usually get. They are reimbursed for manufacturer's coupons, so the amount of money they ultimately get is not influenced by the customer correctly using a coupon.

The same could be said of the manufacturer. If a store decided to place a certain item on sale on their own initiative, the store pays for the products whether they decided to run a sale or not. On the other hand, many sales are decided in consultation with the manufacturer or at the behest of the manufacturer (with kick backs for the store). They know what they are doing. They want to get lots of people to try their product or revisit their product. They are willing to give some product away to accomplish this.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains