Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Cutting baby nails.. ADVICE PLS :-)

miracle

Post Tue, Jul 07 2009, 8:59 am
my baby is 4 months old and I am finding hard to cut her nails.
Someone suggested I should do it while she is asleep, but then they jump everywhere and I don't know how bad that is.
I know that with adults nails we have to be very careful, what about baby nails? how do you cut your baby's nails?

greenfire

Post Tue, Jul 07 2009, 9:09 am
do they have baby nail catchers or is that just the adult versions ... definitely collect them - I should think it's easier while they sleep ... or just learn to be quick & slick and cut them while grasping her hand over a tissue ...

amother

Post Tue, Jul 07 2009, 9:13 am
When my baby was that young, I cut his nails while he was nursing. He was distracted enough that he barely noticed.

Now I cut his nails...with my teeth. Never got the hang of using scissors or a clipper. People think it's gross, but I feel so much more secure doing it that way...

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Jul 07 2009, 9:29 am
I find it easier to do it with a pair of nail scissors with a blunt/rounded end.

Love My Babes

Post Tue, Jul 07 2009, 10:08 am
I used baby nail scissors and I think I did it while nursing, or if she was quiet. I put all the nails in a tissue, or I use a big cup and let it all go in and then wash it in the bathroom sink so it goes down. its harder now that shes 2 cuz she wont let. she says it hurts before the clipper is even near her hands.

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Jul 07 2009, 10:14 am
When my kids were toddlers I clipped their nails while they were watching a video/DVD.

pauline

Post Tue, Jul 07 2009, 10:28 am
I always cut my baby's toe nails while she is in the high chair. It's really easy then!

yaelinIN

Post Tue, Jul 07 2009, 11:17 am
You can also file their nails...

Mommastuff

Post Tue, Jul 07 2009, 1:23 pm
I've always had a hard time cutting my kids nails.
They'd wake up if I did it while they'd sleep.
They didn't like to be disturbed while watching a DVD.
Distracting them is very hard.
I try to make it fun for my girls - like calling it a manicure so sometimes that works.

Whatever I do, I try to do it quickly.

Toot

Post Tue, Jul 07 2009, 9:41 pm
My baby is almost 3mo, and I've just been peeling her nails. Sometimes I bite the corner and then peel the rest. I've never used a clipper or scissors, it makes me too nervous. And I also usually do it when she's eating.

flowerpower

Post Tue, Jul 07 2009, 9:42 pm
I put her on my lap wtih her face facing foward-that's how I can control her fingers the best. I used a baby clipper and was not good-the scissors works better for me.

BennysMommy

Post Tue, Jul 07 2009, 9:54 pm
Don't cut them till the end...leave a little bit and then peel that off (without the clippers) That will solve the problem of them flying everywhere. Do it when she's sleeping. Good luck!

In the kitchen

Post Tue, Jul 07 2009, 11:14 pm
I also "cut" my baby's nails with my teeth...just chew a little to soften them and them bite. I found it best to do while he's nursing , like others said.

Ashrei

Post Tue, Jul 07 2009, 11:42 pm
Try just peeling them. I think they're very soft at that age. Pick a little and peel 'em off. You just have to be quick. Smile

ray family

Post Wed, Jul 08 2009, 4:16 am
depending on the age and the baby
s/t I would bite or peel their nails while nursing
I also like using a scissor when they were sleeping

miracle

Post Thu, Jul 09 2009, 4:00 am
Thanks everyone

I wouldn't be able to bite them off and peeling them off is not possible as they are already stronger- that is why they fly everywhere.

Does anyone know if it problematic if they are not all collected at the end (cos they jump everywhere)

jeliela

Post Wed, Aug 05 2009, 3:23 pm
I would sit the baby on my lap and sing to them the same song anytime I cut their nails, and it ALWAYS calmed them down and they let me do my job. Then I would collect all the nails that fell on my skirt and just wash them down the sink.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics