Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Soft Middle East Matzo (Yemenite)

amother

Post Wed, Mar 22 2006, 11:57 pm
Does anyone know where I can purchase Teimani Matzo?
As an Ashkenazi Jew am I permitted to eat this type of soft matzoh on Pesach? IF not , why?

amother

Post Thu, Mar 23 2006, 12:16 am
take a look at this site www.softmatzah.com

amother

Post Thu, Mar 23 2006, 12:18 am
http://www.softmatza.com/default.asp

this is the site to purchase syrian soft Matzoh with Rabbi maslaton hashgacha in Brooklyn

shalhevet

Post Thu, Mar 23 2006, 6:44 pm
amother wrote:
Does anyone know where I can purchase Teimani Matzo?
As an Ashkenazi Jew am I permitted to eat this type of soft matzoh on Pesach? IF not , why?

No you are not, since it has been the Ashkenazi minhag for hundreds of years to eat only thin matza. Minhag Avoseinu beyadaynu (we keep the traditions of our forefathers)

elisecohen

Post Thu, Mar 23 2006, 7:54 pm
Actually, a couple of families here got them last year and they were told that it was fine as long as they did not have a family minhag NOT to eat it. Ask your posek.

amother

Post Thu, Mar 23 2006, 8:49 pm
True but the original Matzo was the soft Matzo as indicated in the gemara in masechet Berachot and the rambam who states that one places the "Perusah " into the " Shleimah". The Rambam only used 2 Matzos for the seder and he placed the unwhole one wich is lechem oni into trhe whole one. The only way to do that is if the MAtzoh is soft.
Furthermore in the Hagada we read that Hillel made Korech with the korabn pesach and maror. the literal translation of korech is WRAP. Thew oly possible wy to be KORECH the matzoh with maror is to wrap the matzo arouind the pesach and maror
Thirdle the Lechem Hapanim on the shulchan hazahav in the mishkan and beit hamikdash was definitely a shaped bread if we look into the commentaries and talmud. The law dictates that the lechem Hapanim was to be NON CHAMETZ and yet the Lechem HApanim were not cracker thin but thich soft bread
The yemenites have been following their minhag since the first beit hamikdash and their minhagim are more accurate. Even the pronunciation of the ALeph bet is more accurate according to the yehudei teiman and thy have been making soft matzoh for over 2500 yrs. Chaliilah to say their matzoh is chametz so if it isnt chametz why cant I eat it.
ive heard that their are rabbonim who rule on both sides. So I gues the safest bet is to ask your Rav.

Crayon210

Post Thu, Mar 23 2006, 9:39 pm
1. None of the sources you quoted are modern-day poskim. We don't necessarily hold like the Rambam, or Hillel, or the Mishkan. Sounds funny, but that's the truth.

2. No one said Yemenite matzah was chametz. But it might not be appropriate for those who don't have a minhag to eat it. Like kitnios and certain types of bugs.

3. Ask your rav is the best answer.

amother

Post Thu, Mar 23 2006, 10:02 pm
Quote:
Like kitnios and certain types of bugs.

Hello? Kitnios and bugs?
Kitnios is a minhag kept by Jews of Eastern European descent. As it is a minhag, even for those Jews, there is room to be lenient in certain situations.
Bugs are bugs. They are Assur min Hatorah, and there is no leniency except in a case of Pikuach Nefesh.
Sorry to be off topic. I don't know about Teimani Matza.

Crayon210

Post Thu, Mar 23 2006, 10:31 pm
amother wrote:
Quote:
Like kitnios and certain types of bugs.

Hello? Kitnios and bugs?
Kitnios is a minhag kept by Jews of Eastern European descent. As it is a minhag, even for those Jews, there is room to be lenient in certain situations.
Bugs are bugs. They are Assur min Hatorah, and there is no leniency except in a case of Pikuach Nefesh.
Sorry to be off topic. I don't know about Teimani Matza.

1. I don't know why you defined kitnios.

2. There are certain creepy-crawlies that are kosher, and not assur min haTorah, but only Teimani communities have a mesorah for them.

shalhevet

Post Sat, Mar 25 2006, 6:26 pm
amother wrote:
Chaliilah to say their matzoh is chametz so if it isnt chametz why cant I eat it.

No-one said such a thing! Of course it isn't chametz, but our traditions in each community are very strong and are, in some cases, halacha and not "just" a minhag.
If you want to bring proof from the mishna then in the time of the gemara there were still people eating chicken with milk, because it isn't forbidden by the Torah (only meat and milk). Does this mean any Jew can do it today?! Of course not, because the prohibition was accepted throughout the Jewish world.
Kitniyot are allowed in certain cases (e.g. babies, sick people, wartime when very little else is available etc) because the gezeira (decree) against kitniyos was made to permit it in such circumstances. However a healthy Ashkenazi adult or child eating kitniyos otherwise is definitely forbidden. An Ashkenazi has sinned but a Sephardi whose family tradition is to eat them is obviously doing nothing wrong. And of course they're not chometz, chalila.
BTW, an Ashkenazi who wants to eat matza ashira (e.g. egg/ chocolate matza) must ask a shaila. It's also only allowed under certain circumstances (e.g. sick people)

shalhevet

Post Sat, Mar 25 2006, 6:28 pm
Crayon210 wrote:

2. There are certain creepy-crawlies that are kosher, and not assur min haTorah, but only Teimani communities have a mesorah for them.

I think you are talking about certain kinds of grasshoppers. It says in the Torah that they are kosher.

Crayon210

Post Sat, Mar 25 2006, 8:43 pm
Yes, but those outside the Yemenite communities don't have a mesorah for which grasshoppers those are.

amother

Post Sat, Mar 25 2006, 11:30 pm
If one is camping and catches a fish which has both simanim of scales and fins may he/ she eat it, or does one need a masorah ?

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sat, Mar 25 2006, 11:39 pm
fish don't need a mesora.
such an interesting question, original amother! my husband doesn't like hard matza and wants to find the answer to this, too! regardless, it sounds like something to try, even after pesach! Smile good luck and -- ask your own rov! Smile

Crayon210

Post Sun, Mar 26 2006, 12:09 am
I thought there were halachic issues with defining fins and scales in fish (I.e., that's why there's a "machlokes" between Orthodox and Conservative in terms of certain fish).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics