Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
How to become a speech pathologist
1  2  Next

sarah633

Post Wed, Jul 08 2009, 5:29 pm
anyone out there that is a speech pathologist and could tell me the best way to become a speech therapist???
any info would help
is it worth it to do a rush BA(eg. tti sara schiner) and then apply for a masters in speech...???
what would I need. how long would it take?
what is a good program?

sarah633

Post Tue, Jul 14 2009, 9:52 am
anyone with any information.
please .....
if you want pm me
thanks

saralea

Post Tue, Jul 14 2009, 11:05 am
My daughter is planning on doing a program through Raizel Wright. You can ask high schools and seminaries to get more info. Good luck!

sarah633

Post Tue, Jul 14 2009, 1:12 pm
hey
thanks for the responce. however im 25 way past sem and high school Smile
anywere else to get info

amother

Post Tue, Jul 14 2009, 2:28 pm
You'll need to do speech pre-reqs as part of your BA- if I'm not mistaken that has to be done through a college. Most colleges for MA require at least 36 (or thereabouts) speech credits as part of the BA-which I think can be done in a yr or so. It may be worth to do an accelerated BA up until that point and then apply somewhere for the speech stuff or do it simultaneously. Just my suggestion Smile.
Hope that helps, g'luck

sarah633

Post Tue, Jul 14 2009, 4:28 pm
thats an interesting way of doing things thanks
does anyone know of anyone that actually did a rush ba through tti/raizel rights?
and then went to tuoro/brooklyn college to do the MA?

bigmomma

Post Tue, Jul 14 2009, 4:33 pm
I have the same question, can one do a Raizel Reit BA then go on to Brooklyn College. I believe I heard that alot of the coursework would not be accepted. In fact I heard that Brooklyn College does not accept CLEPS but I would really like to verify if someone can go smoothly from Raizel Reit to Brookly College.

nicole81

Post Tue, Jul 14 2009, 4:38 pm
you know you can make an appointment with the graduate chair at BC and ask them yourself what you should do.

graduate speech programs are extremely competitive to get into and having a correspondence degree might just be a waste of time and money.

I'm not sure because I am not and never was a speech major, I just know from my friend's experience. but why not go down and talk to an advisor in person?

I spoke to a grad advisor when I was interested in the math ed program and they told me exactly how much credits I needed, what courses to take, and which CLEPs they accept.

amother

Post Tue, Jul 14 2009, 6:00 pm
I am a speech therapist. u need to first get ur BS worth 120 credits and in the course you need some speech classes to get into masters program in addition to the courses called "cores" that each individual college requires you to take to graduate to make you "well rounded"

if you choose a real college it takes aprox 2-3 years if you include summers and take full semesters. I dnt know much about razel wright and bulkas shortcuts for BS but my friends did that and they went to different matser programs bec. the local ones such as touro wouldnt accept those credits but many colleges do.

the masters took me 2 years but some ppl take 2 1/2 yrs! good luck

sarah633

Post Tue, Jul 14 2009, 7:19 pm
would you know what master program they were accepted into??

ShakleeMom

Post Tue, Jul 14 2009, 7:22 pm
Is speech pathology the title for pragmatics?

cassandra

Post Tue, Jul 14 2009, 8:05 pm
sarah633 wrote:
thats an interesting way of doing things thanks
does anyone know of anyone that actually did a rush ba through tti/raizel rights?
and then went to tuoro/brooklyn college to do the MA?

Brooklyn College is the hardest program in the city to get into. If you want to go there I wouldn't take any shortcuts.

sarah633

Post Wed, Jul 15 2009, 12:40 pm
So to go to Brooklyn would you recommend doing the whole program there from BA - MA?

Sleep

Post Wed, Jul 15 2009, 3:55 pm
if you want to do brooklyn MA-then do it straight through. They do not readily accept students from other colleges, specifically Touro. When I was in Touro's BA program-they did not accecpt a single touro student!!

amother

Post Wed, Jul 15 2009, 6:44 pm
I went to Brooklyn College for my speech MA. I did not do my undergrad there. It is a very hard program to get into, but its not THE hardest in city - Queens college is harder (because they accept only like 35 students a year). Ironically, I got into Brooklyn and Queens but not Touro, so go figure. There was someone in my program that had an undergrad from Touro, so they do accept Touro grads if your grades are good enough. I think about half our program graduated from Brooklyn undergrad and half had BAs from elsewhere.

The good thing about Brooklyn's program is that they do not ask for GRE scores. So if you have really good grades (GPA) but did lousy on the GRE, you may actually have a hard time getting into other good speech programs and an easiser time getting Brooklyn.

It is important that whatever BA you get, you get it specifically in Speech. If you can find a good speech bachelors program that will accept cleps, then kol hakavod. There was no one in my program who had a quicky BA from the Jewish places like Raizel Write or TTI, but I graduated a while ago so those programs might have improved since then.

Ask Brooklyn college for the list of requirements to get accepted into their grad program, then whatever undergrad programs you look into make sure that it qualifies and will give you all the requirements that you will need. If you do that, I don't think it is necessary to specifically go to Brooklyn for undergrad. The friends of mine who did their undergrads there HATED it. Some of the teachers have awful personalities, etc. (I felt this way on the grad level but was told it was worse on the undergrad level.) Also, the undergrad in Brooklyn is HARD. That means if you are not an A+ student normally, you will have a hard time keeping up your grades in the undergrad program and you will not be accepted to their grad program without really good grades. Alternatively, if you do an easier program at a different college, you will have an easier time getting good grades and therefore and easier time getting accepted in Brooklyn's grad program. So if you followed my logic, it may be in fact easier to get into Brooklyn's grad program WITHOUT having done their undergrad, than vise versa.

Another point I want to make. Brooklyn's grad program is VERY HARD and time consuming (and in my opinion pretty crummy). While I do find that my degree is looked upon very favorably in the speech world, friends of mine who have degrees from 'lesser' colleges seem to get jobs just as easily. So if your life is busy you may actually prefer to go to an easier program for you masters as well.

Hope these thoughts helped.

sarah633

Post Wed, Jul 15 2009, 8:52 pm
thank you so much for taking the time to write your post.
it was very informative Smile

cassandra

Post Wed, Jul 15 2009, 8:57 pm
amother wrote:
It is a very hard program to get into, but its not THE hardest in city - Queens college is harder (because they accept only like 35 students a year).

My mistake. I was actually surprised to see (I just looked it up) that Hunter and Lehmann are 20 rankings higher than Brooklyn. Not that it matters in terms of getting a job, but just interesting.

amother

Post Wed, Jul 15 2009, 9:04 pm
cassandra wrote:
amother wrote:
It is a very hard program to get into, but its not THE hardest in city - Queens college is harder (because they accept only like 35 students a year).

My mistake. I was actually surprised to see (I just looked it up) that Hunter and Lehmann are 20 rankings higher than Brooklyn. Not that it matters in terms of getting a job, but just interesting.

I am the last amother. This surprises me too. However, both 'on the street' and in the field I think Brooklyn's program is considered more 'chosuv' than any of the other CUNY programs.

amother

Post Wed, Jul 15 2009, 9:07 pm
yeh brooklyn is more chashuv. I went to touro for undergraduate and graduated with a 3.9 GPA I got accepted to Lehmans and NOT brooklyn!

amother

Post Mon, Jan 04 2010, 6:41 pm
I am exploring speech programs. I know they are very hard to get into and a lot of work but I am hoping for a little guidance. I am still working on my undergrad and I have about a year to go so I want to start applying for next year. I have heard a lot of people comment on Lehman, Brooklyn, Queens, and Hunter. I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on New York Medical College, Touro, LIU, NYU, Columbia, St. Johns, Hofstra, and

I am wondering if there are any programs that are a little easier to get into?

Also, those who are speech therapists, are you happy? Do you regret doing the program? Are you happy you did it?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics