Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
How many uniform shirts do you buy?
1  2  3  Next

e1234

Post Tue, Jul 14 2009, 3:51 am
My oldest daughter is going into first grade.
I bought 2 shirts yesterday but I'm not sure it's enough.
How many uniform shirts do you buy for a first grader?

Mrs.K

Post Tue, Jul 14 2009, 3:54 am
I bought 5 shirts and 3 skirts.

I don't know if it was necessary or not, but I just thought that if I was having a crazy week or was sick for a week, what do I need to get by without having to do laundry? Maybe it was a lame thought process, but that's how I decided.

Truth is, you can get uniform shirts year round, no? You can just start with the 2 and see if you feel it's enough.

lilacdreams

Post Tue, Jul 14 2009, 4:50 am
depends if the kid is generally very clean or not.
I typically buy 2 skirts and 3 shirts including a white one for RChodesh.

maidale

Post Tue, Jul 14 2009, 5:04 am
I think 2 is a drop tight. I'd buy one more.

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Jul 14 2009, 5:47 am
You might want to check with the school if they have a policy of keeping a spare change.
For shirts, I have 4 pairs, 1 kept at school so alternate among 3 for washing daily after school.
I have 3 pairs of skirts/pinafores and trousers, 1 kept at school. I wash them less often unless kids come home dirty.

I think it also depends on how expensive particular uniforms/shirts are, and if you can get it cheap in used uniform sales (a fantastic idea!).

drumjj

Post Tue, Jul 14 2009, 2:48 pm
I have four shirts for my daughter who was in first grade going into second and four dresses I think and two sweaters. I usually put them in the wash every day bc she dirties them alot and I dont like to feel pressured to get the wash done to have them ready for the next day etc

shayna82

Post Tue, Jul 14 2009, 4:14 pm
e1234 wrote:
My oldest daughter is going into first grade.
I bought 2 shirts yesterday but I'm not sure it's enough.
How many uniform shirts do you buy for a first grader?

im planning for 3-4 polos till the cold weather sets in, then 5-6 long sleeve polo/oxfords

amother

Post Tue, Jul 14 2009, 4:37 pm
I bought 5 shirts but they are cotton polos and not too expensive. I think it depends on your budget. But I think you should have a minimum of 3 shirts. 2 seems very tight in case something happens to one of them.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Jul 14 2009, 5:42 pm
all your schools still demand uniforms??

Raisin

Post Tue, Jul 14 2009, 5:49 pm
Ruchel wrote:
all your schools still demand uniforms??

most frum schools have uniforms.

I buy a lot of shirts. they are very cheap and inevitably some will get ruined. I think they cost less then €3 each. I hate having the pressure of needing to do a wash every day.

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Jul 14 2009, 5:50 pm
Yes, it's wonderful not having to worry about what clothing kids get to wear in the morning.

Most schools here--including secular state schools--have some form of uniforms at least thru secondary school, but most allow "civvies" in the sixth forms (16 yr olds).

lilacdreams

Post Tue, Jul 14 2009, 5:55 pm
omg ruchel you cant imagine the arguments mothers avoid with their daughters over what clothes to wear every morning! bh for school uniforms!!!!!!!1

Dini

Post Tue, Jul 14 2009, 5:58 pm
I assume that my daughter will be dirty by the time she gets home so I wouldn't bother asking her to change. She is also entering 1st grade and I thought I would buy one for each day, probably 5 and 2 skirts and one jumper. How much are the shirts in the uniform store. I assume that you are in BP, e1234.

grin

Post Tue, Jul 14 2009, 6:00 pm
IMO 3 shirts and skirts is quite enough, esp. if she changes her clothes after school. She can wear one for 2 days in a row (assuming it wasn't arts and crafts day!), so even washing once a week would cover the situation.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Jul 14 2009, 6:14 pm
interesting, I can't think of any frum school with a uniform. Dress code? yes. Uniform? no.

amother

Post Tue, Jul 14 2009, 8:06 pm
I buy my dd five jumpers and five shirts. She is going into first grade. My dd comes home every day dirty, whether it's her lunch in school or glue or something else but last year, her first year in a uniform not once througout the year did I send her in the same uniform twice without washing it first. I can't imagine sending my dd to school dirty. And what do I gain by making her change when she comes home then I need two wardrobes.

mom71

Post Tue, Jul 14 2009, 8:46 pm
I buy 5 shirts and 2 skirts/jumpers. I don't like the idea of wearing the same shirt twice and I only do laundry 0nce a week.

mommalah

Post Tue, Jul 14 2009, 9:19 pm
I bought 4 at the beginning of last school year (one size bigger) and 3 more now from Childrenswearoutlet.com (very reasonably priced I might add).
I do laundry once a week so this way even if I don't I'll be covered 2 days into the next week. Gotta plan for my laziness...

amother

Post Tue, Jul 14 2009, 9:24 pm
My DD in the upper grades has at least 5 shirts. It is impossible to keep a white oxford clean for more than one wearing. Even the cuffs get filthy from leaning on a desk. If you wash a shirt, especially a light colored one very often, I have seen from past experience that it turns gray. I do well with 2 skirts for her as it is a dark color plaid.

BTW, does anyone know a good place in BP or Flatbush that has white oxfords for cheap?

funny50

Post Tue, Jul 14 2009, 9:31 pm
I bought my dd 2 jumpers and 5 blouses of the French Toast company- the cheaper ones. 3 or 4 cheaper ones equal the price of 1 (expensive) regular price blouse. I need to change her blouse every day, but her jumpers 2x a week. if the jumper gets dirty I spot clean it at night.
I also have 2 sweaters with sleeves (one is a junky one and I barely use it), and 1 sweater vest without sleeves.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry