Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Yideos Klalios Ideas

Peninah

Post Thu, Jul 23 2009, 11:10 am
I'm looking for a way to structure my 8th grade yesios lessons that will make it fun. any ideas?

manhattanmom

Post Thu, Jul 23 2009, 12:27 pm
Could you remind us (me) what Yedios Klalios is, exactly?

Sherri

Post Thu, Jul 23 2009, 1:55 pm
Yedios Klalios are Jewish general knowledge.
I know that songs are the best way to remember, and a lot of fun- but you have to think of a way to make it fun for the girls and not babyish. One great teacher that I know actually has the class compose the song. They do it together on the board, making up the rhyming lyrics.

manhattanmom

Post Thu, Jul 23 2009, 2:18 pm
So it's basically "memorizing facts...."

You probably have to get to know the class--there are different ways to memorize and everyone learns differently....games, songs, contests, have students teach the class....

pobody's nerfect

Post Sun, Aug 16 2009, 8:42 pm
I agree with manhattanmom. you have to really motivate the girls, or it can become like a joke or a hated subject. I grew up thinking yedios klalios was stupid, and never bothered to study for the quizzes. (I seriously regret that now!!)

some ideas:

a contest where they score a point for every time the whole class gets 90 or above on a quiz (it REALLY motivated my second graders to memorize the shaimos haguf for dikduk)

depending on how much time you can dedicate to review, games work wonders. I find that total class games are ok, but small group games are the best. they do take preparation though- making cards to play go fish, matching, etc.

Since your students are older, you can challenge them to think up games which can help them review, especially 'blank' ones which can be applied to any topic.

I dont know if your girls are too mature for this, but it can be a lot of fun to do 'review aerobics'. I use them to teach the prefixes and suffixes for chumash. for each one I teach, I include a fun movement (jumping jack, spin, rolling hands, etc) and we review them daily. it's a lot of fun and it makes memorization so much easier.

also, bulletin boards are a lot of work but you can put girls in charge of making them for class credit.

good luck!

immaville

Post Wed, Aug 19 2009, 11:29 am
I taught in a school where the teacher taught the girls so very many yedios klaliyos facts in song. They sang those songs so often, and remembered the info years later!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics