Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
EMT for a woman?

ss321

Post Tue, Aug 04 2009, 8:13 am
Hi, I am posting this for a (not married-hence cant post) friend of mine.

She is pre-med, and I guess I would call her "modern orthodox" (so if you are yeshivish and in your circles it is not so common to see, just know - in her circles, it can be done!)

She called me to ask me about EMT programs (not to become a paramedic, just an EMT, which is like a 6 credit course I think), in Brooklyn. Has anyone completed one or does anyone have a spouse who has completed one? She is only taking 1 class this semester and so she wants to find one that is full time? (I guess a majority of them are like once a week etc to accommodate working people not students??!?)

any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

overthehill

Post Tue, Aug 04 2009, 8:34 am
I completed one around 15 years ago at Brooklyn College in the evening. It was a few months, every evening from like 6-10 I believe. It was a combination of Hatzalah "wannabees", brooklyn college students who needed the credits and people like myself and a few friends who were just plain interested in doing it- not for any particular reason. We were tested and got our certification there as well. I think the first step would be to call BC as this course, I believe is given once or twice a year- but then again, this was 15 years ago!

happy2beme

Post Tue, Aug 04 2009, 10:41 am
http://www.emergencycareny.com/
hope this helps!

bubby

Post Tue, Aug 04 2009, 10:46 am
The Fire Dept offers courses. I was thinking of it, I've always wanted to do this & blood doesn't faze me. I actually wanted to do it as a job & they told me last year I wasn't too old!! Wink DH & DS's laughed at me. embarrassed Sad I should have ignored them. Maybe I still can!! Very Happy

greenfire

Post Tue, Aug 04 2009, 10:56 am
in order to be an EMT you need to be able to lift bodies ... got muscle Idea

boruchhashem

Post Tue, Aug 04 2009, 11:54 am
Greenfire, lots of petite women are EMTs in todays world. Worse case scenario, they get the guys to do the lifting. I always wanted to do it myself, only when I was single, my dad, an EMT since Hatzoloh started, told me, once I was married. Once I got married, dh told me I should've done it while single. So there I was in a catch 22. But now they offer courses closer to home for me. Eventually I plan on getting my license, being that I know alot more than most EMTs anyway. (lived all my life with dad EMT and dh Paramedic. Wink )

esteer

Post Tue, Aug 04 2009, 4:12 pm
I would also love to take the course, my dh just took it and I studied along so I know alot about it does anyone know if their is such a thing as a crash course?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics