Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Ripped tights
1  2  Next

dina

Post Mon, Jan 10 2005, 12:34 pm
My daughter's tights always rip by the toes and I've tried sewing them a few times but it just rips again. Any ideas as of what to do? It's a shame throwing them out because they are in excellent condition.

sarahd

Post Mon, Jan 10 2005, 1:29 pm
I'd love to hear suggestions, because my pantyhose also always tears at the toes. I sew it up, but it doesn't last too long.

Sunshine

Post Mon, Jan 10 2005, 2:18 pm
I'm in the same boat. I only walk arround in slippers or shoes and cut my toe nails regularly and it still happens only at the toes! Dunno?!

girliesmommy

Post Mon, Jan 10 2005, 2:40 pm
For pantyhose, they make these things that go under your pantyhose, just over your toes. They are nude and you can't tell that you're wearing anything (even with open toe shoes.) I'm trying to remember what company makes them, but I'm at a loss! They work wonders for me. I am tall, and whenever I remember to put them on my pantyhose last a lot longer! I don't think this is the purpose of them (probably for someone who doesn't want to wear pantyhose but wants something over her toes Rolling Eyes )
I got mine in Nordstrom a few years ago, but you can try the pantyhose section of any dept. store.

ForeverYoung

Post Tue, Jan 11 2005, 12:18 am
it's nail rubbing againsy the shooe

different shose, may be?

sarahd

Post Tue, Jan 11 2005, 6:25 am
nail rubbing against every single pair of shoes I own? That's gonna be an expensive proposition, replacing all my shoes. Very Happy I actually think the cause is that my second toe is longer than all the others, so it puts more stress on the nylon, which proceeds to tear.

miriam

Post Tue, Jan 11 2005, 1:02 pm
I often get holes by the toes in socks and knee highs. I think it's b/c I pull to hard when I put them on. I pull up and put stress on the toe area.

Liba

Post Mon, Jan 17 2005, 1:43 pm
For us it is always the knees and I just keep on throwing them out. I put my 6 year old in leggings and socks for the winter because they last better and are warmer but have been informed that she isn't tzniua because leggings are really pants...

Confused I think that she is dressed fine, they are under long jumpers or dresses... but I guess I am just odd.

Anny

Post Mon, Jan 17 2005, 1:48 pm
Quote:
but have been informed that she isn't tzniua because leggings are really pants...

what????? shock shock shock
so your daughter's supposed to freeze?

please, how do they know it's leggings anyways?
what if it's tights w/ socks?!?!?!!!!!

it looks the same & is much warmer!!!

Tefila

Post Mon, Jan 17 2005, 1:50 pm
Anny I am in full agreement leggings is more tznua under a skirt then snowpants on top! I will not let my daughter freeze in minus 30 and beyond Mad

ForeverYoung

Post Mon, Jan 17 2005, 2:35 pm
I am all for leggings under & do it myself too!!!!

by the way, people, what do you do when you send your older daughters to outside & snowPants are a nessesity?

hadasa

Post Mon, Jan 17 2005, 2:52 pm
I have two pairs of shoes I never wear because they tear my panthose and even thick tights at the toes. They're both the same company, I bought them together - a waste of money Mad B"N I'll never buy shoes there again.

Otherwise, I find tights tear at the toes a. If the nails are too long or b. if they are pulled up too tightly. It may be worth buying a larger size (if they won't sag).

yehudis

Post Mon, Jan 17 2005, 7:16 pm
Liba wrote:
For us it is always the knees and I just keep on throwing them out. I put my 6 year old in leggings and socks for the winter because they last better and are warmer but have been informed that she isn't tzniua because leggings are really pants...

I thought that it was OK to wear pants, even real pants, under a skirt. Like for gym or riding a bike or whatever. Or are there different opinions on that?

sarahd

Post Tue, Jan 18 2005, 4:05 am
Yehudis, there are different opinions on everything, as you may have noticed. Smile

I am pretty surprised, however, to hear about pants under skirts being a no-no, especially as there are cultures in which it's the accepted way of dressing (Yemenite, if I'm not mistaken). Also, what could be untzniusdig about it? What's worse about pants under skirts than tights under skirts? Does anyone know anything about this?

Tefila

Post Tue, Jan 18 2005, 10:03 am
This is the problem of pants per se
1. Mens garment
and 2. A man is not allowed to see btw a womens legs.

Conc 1. nowadays it's made very feminine so that issue is out according to a Rav I spoke too.
And 2. as far as Tznua under a skirt any type of pants (womens though) are allowed!

And that is why even for gym, excercise, or pj's, pants are permitted since it's only women there!!!

yehudis

Post Tue, Jan 18 2005, 1:41 pm
freilich wrote:
This is the problem of pants per se
1. Mens garment
and 2. A man is not allowed to see btw a womens legs.

Conc 1. nowadays it's made very feminine so that issue is out according to a Rav I spoke too.
And 2. as far as Tznua under a skirt any type of pants (womens though) are allowed!

And that is why even for gym, excercise, or pj's, pants are permitted since it's only women there!!!

Freilich, but according to what you said, it would be permitted even if there are men there, because they still don't see between the woman's legs, if she is wearing a skirt over the pants.

Or did you mean that pants without a skirt are permitted when only women are around?

Tefila

Post Tue, Jan 18 2005, 3:09 pm
Quote:
Or did you mean that pants without a skirt are permitted when only women are around?

Thats what I mean't , embarrassed sorry about confusion

amother

Post Sat, Jan 22 2005, 11:40 pm
You mention pj pants, when do you stop that with girls? My daughter is turning three and I'm wonderring when to stop her pj pants? I know that she is still young, yet I know of many girls & even married women who have major issues with pj pants and struggle with it till today, because they feel much more comfortable with it than a nightgown. so when is the appropriate age to stop?

Tefila

Post Sat, Jan 22 2005, 11:48 pm
Why stop it's in her home and only your fam will see her in them! Otherwise maybe give her a robe ontop. But I would feel more comfortable my daughter going in pj's then asking her the whole time to keep her nightgown down etc

amother

Post Sun, Jan 23 2005, 12:16 am
I see your point but what if you have guests, okay so she'll wear a robe. Kind of answerred my own question. But let's say in the morning, for example shabbos morning or sunday morning,where everyone is a bit lazy and just hanging out, should she hang out the whole morning in pants, when your making a big deal of her being tznius dress tights no more pant?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers