Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Using a Publisher vs. Self-Publishing

Atali

Post Wed, Aug 05 2009, 9:36 pm
For those of you who have published a book, do you recommend self-publishing or using a publisher?

No, I didn't write a book, my DH did Smile . It is an English sefer that would need to be published by one particular publisher (that pays a flat fee and no royalties) or self-published.

What has been your experience?

amother

Post Wed, Aug 05 2009, 9:43 pm
I Published a books some were advertising and some were stories. I put them together myself and emailed the file to a printer.

Hope that answers your question.

Tova

Post Wed, Aug 05 2009, 10:04 pm
What are your dissemination plans? My brother wrote a sefer and self published very cheaply. He did not intend for it to be sold in stores, just in his local yeshiva. I can find out more details if you are interested.

soldat

Post Wed, Aug 05 2009, 10:14 pm
I went through a publishing house that paid flat fee - but its a children's book, so there would be no way I could have handled the illustrations, layout or editing on my own - so its a no-brainer.
my cousin on the other hand put together a few Hebrew sefarim, and I believe he handles the publication/distribution on his own quite well.

soulfultouch

Post Wed, Aug 05 2009, 10:49 pm
If he is looking for wider distribution then going with an outside publisher may have it's advantages,
otherwise he'll be doing all his own marketing to get this book out there. Here is an address to a publisher who does joint term contracts. www.redheiferpress.com

Atali

Post Wed, Aug 05 2009, 11:00 pm
Tova wrote:
What are your dissemination plans? My brother wrote a sefer and self published very cheaply. He did not intend for it to be sold in stores, just in his local yeshiva. I can find out more details if you are interested.

If you could that would be great. In terms of distribution he is close friends with a distributer who could distribute it for him. He would also like to set up a stall outside 770 during Tishrei and at the kinnus hashluchim and distribute it that way.

He could also sell them on the web (I can design basic websites).

Tova

Post Thu, Aug 06 2009, 12:42 am
Sure, Atali, but please PM me as a reminder....in fact, PM's come to my e-mail address and that way I can just forward the body of it in an e-mail to my SIL.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics